Plugger207

Slammer 3 4500 question

9 posts in this topic

Howdy purchased a slammer 3 4500 last year, very pleased with.  Handled some good size bass pretty easy.  Doing some annual maintenance on all my gear....upgraded to Carbontex washers on all my Shimanos....is that an option for this reel?  Can’t find anything about it on the inter web....thanks much.

Besides the seals, it's the factory high-end drag that makes the Slammer III the reel it is.  I'd leave it as is unless it failed.  OH

4 hours ago, reelfire said:
  • Why would you want to replace the dura drag system for a lesser quality drag system?

Thanks that answers my second question....if it’s worth replacing.  I just assumed carbontex was better than the dura drag and worth doing for 8 bucks....I’ve been wicked happy with this reel and the drag is super impressive.  Thought while it was opened up and getting cleaned might do it.  Thank you for the input.

2 hours ago, shark lobster said:

I would not touch the drag other than clean grease put back together

Just remember dura drag do not get regular drag grease. This system is similar to what high end European sports cars use on their brakes. I would check with penn factory service before adding anything to these reels. I had a shop owner insist I need to do drag grease multiple times a year to keep the reel functioning. I proved him wrong.