Kent I

Hybrid vs full ceramics?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm building a backup surf reel ( old school, basically an Abu 6500c with a few tweaks) and wonder why, other than cost, I would opt for hybrid vs full ceramic bearings. In the era of centrifugal and magnetic brakes, either of which can be set to completely tame a reel, it seem a little primitively to rely on oil viscosity (which changes over time) or, heaven help us, spindle end pressure. Am I missing something here?

ceramics seem to work better (dry) on abu's with the bearings in the spool rather than in end plates..But if your on the sand and there is a strong head wind it really don't matter! 

Makes sense...there's bound to be some misalignment in the end plates while the machined features on the spool are close to perfect. I'm mostly thinking in terms of maintenance and weight reduction in the rotating parts. This will strictly be a beach reel.

There was a thread in the main forum about tins and conventional, by Cary Green. Very in-depth on bearings... lots of very good info. on ceramics..if I could figure out how to give you the link I would...but I can't.

I guess search is best.

The great unknown when it comes to conventional reel spools is balance.  Most spools require some kind of hump in the initial line lay, either a center hump or two outboard humps, to balance the spool.  The whole reason for maximizing spool speed (i.e., several minutes spin with no brakes or magnets installed) is to check the balance after laying down a "backing" of mono perhaps 20 yards long.  Then, once balance is achieved, the actual running line is installed starting with a Uni-Uni knot centered on the spool.  once fully loaded, with a flat profile to the line, balance is again verified, magnets and/or brakes are installed, and appropriate oil is applied to the bearings.  For me, the latter is 1 drop of Penn supplied oil on my Mag525 bearings (Stock with 1 side plate removed), and, on my ABUs, I drop of Rocket Reel Company Yellow Rocket Fuel (Bearings are Rocket Reel Company Ceramic Hybrid with one side plate removed).

Before you ask, my reason for removal of the side plate is ease of cleaning, which I do by soaking the bearings in bio-degradable Simply Green (full strength) cleaner (at least 6 hours), brushing with a toothbrush, rinsing thoroughly, and allowing them to dry on a clean paper towel.

Edited by FlatWing

The ceramic bearings are designed to run dry.

Add oil and the oil is old, there's still no viscosity.

Viscosity occurs when? In my personal preference

I like oil on the ceramics.