Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crowconor

Fly rod blank

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just begining to wrap my own rods and I am looking to wrap a 10ft 3 or 4 wt. I found the company get bent fly fishing, and saw they have some pretty cheap blanks including a 10ft 3wt. Has anyone ever used one, or any of their blanks? I would like to build some rods on cheaper blanks for practice, but would like something I wouldn't hate to fish. Any blank suggestions? 

Anglers Roost - nice, cheap blanks and 99% sure you'll find exactly what you are looking for with them. I made an 11foot 3 weight (super light) spey rod with one of their blanks and love it!.   

To me it looks now there is a factory in asia which mass manufacture blanks what then are sold using various names. I bought 11ft #2/3 NEXTackle "czech nymph" rod blank from Bulgaria (about $50 including postage) and around same time Proof-brand did appear to NA directed flea market which statistics seem the same. Mine looks and feels very good and ferrule fit is good although one does not fit as deep as two other.

I plan to build it for ICSF accuracy competition where max 9ft rod is used. I shorten mostly the tip to make it as full/slow action as possible but I need to shorten the butt as well nit to turn it too stiff because it must work casting WF5F line.

Esa

I have not built on that specific blank but I have built rods from Anglers Roost, Rogers (auction site) and several from Shu Fly (before he closed down).  They all work fine.  I really like the UHM blanks from Anglers Roost.   I have a couple of 12' 7/8 spey rods which have caught a ton of salmon.  I also have the his IM6 blanks as well which a great for the money.  UMH comes in 11' 3/4 and 10'  4wt.  Any rod he sells is also available as a blank.  It looks like Johnny is in the hospital right now so you will have to wait until he returns.

Most of the "inexpensive" companies make crap parts (guides and cork).  Spend a little more elsewhere and you will end up with a better product. Their reel seat will be fine.

Having said all of that, if you can get the getbent blank for less then $50 go for it.  It will cast flies and catch fish.  What more could you ask for.

Q

On 12/4/2018 at 7:24 PM, crowconor said:

Hi all, I just begining to wrap my own rods and I am looking to wrap a 10ft 3 or 4 wt. I found the company get bent fly fishing, and saw they have some pretty cheap blanks including a 10ft 3wt. Has anyone ever used one, or any of their blanks? I would like to build some rods on cheaper blanks for practice, but would like something I wouldn't hate to fish. Any blank suggestions? 

I'm curious about Get Bent as well. Have seen their stuff on ebay, but apprehensive about buying a blank from them as I haven't found any reviews.

Anyone care to chime in on their blanks?

You will not find any reviews.  Or if you do, you will find one or two.  The beauty of a $40 or $50 blank is that you can buy one an decide for yourself. No like spending $600 on a factory rod.

Q   

I would not get blanks from a small shop that usually is buying oem and then rebranding as crunch says. I would go with a company that gets custom blanks designed for them TFO, Baston, Edge (they are made in the USA), Mudhole MHX, American Tackle, Pac Bay, etc, although I think only TFO, Baston, and Mudhole offer a 10ft lightweight blank but I may be wrong. 

Also, I would not view your first rod as "practice". If you research enough and take your time, you can make a pretty good rod on your first try. You also don't need that much specialized equipment, unless you want to do the handle yourself. You can use a heavy book and a cardboard box to tension the thread, use flexible UV curing glue from fly tying to secure the wraps, Gorilla glue for the handle, etc. It isn't as hard as people make it out to be. 

My suggestion to you is don't build a rod on an inferior blank "for practice".  Buy a blank with a good action for the type of fishing you are going to do.  Whatever mistake you might make when building the rod can be "undone".  For example, my first build was a Sage 279 Lightline fly rod.  I did a decent job wrapping the guides and then I put on the thread coat in a rod turner over night.  Well, the rod stopped turning and I got a "sag" in the epoxy.  I ended up carefully cutting the epoxy off each wrap with a scalpel and re-epoxied it.  It came out great.  So.....get a good blank and take your time.  No practice is necessary. If the thread wrap turns out lousy, do it again.

Bob

OEM. My understanding of an OEM blank is a blank that is produced in fact for the buyer and is a special.  This is no different to what  say TFO does. Their blanks are OEM and proprietary to them only.

Usually there is design and development input from both parties.

It is common practice for re - sellers to buy from typically the Far East , blanks which are on general sales release and re-brand them.

Often  same blank will have widely  varying prices.

I think your advise is very wise. You know exactly what you will be getting.

The blanks will have some provenance to.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

20 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Bob

OEM. My understanding of an OEM blank is a blank that is produced in fact for the buyer and is a special.  This is no different to what  say TFO does. Their blanks are OEM and proprietary to them only.

Usually there is design and development input from both parties.

It is common practice for re - sellers to buy from typically the Far East , blanks which are on general sales release and re-brand them.

Often  same blank will have widely  varying prices.

I think your advise is very wise. You know exactly what you will be getting.

The blanks will have some provenance to.

Mike

Sorry, wrong terminology. I should've said generic vs OEM. There are companies which will sell you a generic blank but need a minimum order quantity of blanks if you want any kind of customization. Obviously, you know this as you have done work with CTS, although they allow customization for single orders. I think they recently had to reduce their single purchase customization options though because of the time it took to design the customized blank. 

Bob

Based on what I know and think I know. Your advise to at least initially stay with   the  companies you refer to is  very solid. I hope the OP follows your advise.

There are some truly excellent blanks coming from the east and often not big money but it is not easy to sort the good from the not so good as mostly you can’t get to know the provence of the blank and or get hands on before placing an order.

Redgreen has recently obtained some blanks from  Mudhole Pac Bay Line and I think another in single and TH formats. They may not have been very very low cost but they were pretty decently priced and from what he told me the performance was  punching above the cost.

At the other end of the price spectrum it is really great that companies like Sage and Meiser and CTS , Lamiglass  are able to offer us blanks from their standard range on general sales release. It was a sad day when Loomis stopped selling blanks.

cheers

Mike

Thanks for all the great discussion guys. I bought a reel seat from get bent that seems like it is great quality and I am pretty happy with. That is why I was curious about their blanks. I am finishing up my first rod now, I got a mudhole turnkey kit for a rediculously low price on black friday sale plus 20% off, it was  $189 vs $400 usually. The MHX blank it came with seems like a great rod, I enjoy the action of it just flicking it around I can't wait to see how it casts and fishes. I will be sure to post some pictures of the rod once I finish it. The anglers roost blanks seem like a good deal, but I am not sure I understand the multiple different blanks he offers (IM6 vs UHM12). From what I can tell from looking online it is different types of graphite and they have different properties that affect the action of the rod. But, the IM6 is almost half the price of the UHM12 blank, does that mean it is a higher quality? I am surpirsed at how well my first rod is coming out. I may end up following your suggestions and buy something higher quality rather than viewing my first few rods as practice. My one question is what makes something like a sage ESN blank better than something like the angers roost blanks. Is is stricly the name?