Ftyer

Jupiter Area Advice

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Got it. But if the forecast is messy but the fish are biting on the ocean side, I can loan you a rod and reel for the length of your stay. 

Sheesh, I can’t thank you enough there man! That’s amazing and I’ll gladly take ya up on that if the conditions permit. I’ll be loaded with flies so I’ll leave some with ya even if I don’t borrow the rod. 

South end of Jupiter Island sucked this morning. 20+ out of the east and weeds everywhere. Low tune around sunrise didn’t help. Ten cast and I headed down to the north end of Juno Beach, less weeds buy it’s a shallow beach so conditions were lousy. 

But that’s one guy’s experience. 

Btw, not sure of forecast but weather has been cooler than last few years. Bring one fleece or fleeced windbreaker is you plan to fish early. 

4 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Btw, not sure of forecast but weather has been cooler than last few years. Bring one fleece or fleeced windbreaker is you plan to fish early. 

Thank you for being so helpful, and yep, I’ve got a lightweight fleece and waterproof jacket in my mix. Lookin’ forward to being in the water even if I don’t see a darn fish. 

4 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Thank you for being so helpful, and yep, I’ve got a lightweight fleece and waterproof jacket in my mix. Lookin’ forward to being in the water even if I don’t see a darn fish. 

By Wednesday, high tide on the ocean will be just before first light. Also around dusk, so tides will be more productive than right now for shore fishing. 

I use the app "Tides Near Me" and set it for Jupiter Inlet South Jetty for ocean tides. 

6 hours ago, tomkaz said:

By Wednesday, high tide on the ocean will be just before first light. Also around dusk, so tides will be more productive than right now for shore fishing. 

I use the app "Tides Near Me" and set it for Jupiter Inlet South Jetty for ocean tides. 

That sounds like a very ideal tide situation to me. Thank you so much, and I’ll be downloading that app as welll. You’ve been tremendously helpful and I genuinely appreciate it. Let me

know if I can return the favor for sure. 

Eighty six that weather forecast from me, it looks like it will be a hot week. Mid-week highs will be 80+ and overnight lows will be in the mid-60s. 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, mafa94 said:

Going to be in this area next week. Targeting bluefish, jack, Spanish mackrel, snook. Any recommendations and advices.

Thank you anyone for help.

Things slowed down since last week... not sure what changed. Only seeing jacks right now, the blues just blew up the coast northbound.

Snook are up in the rivers not on the beach - unless it's a single.

Macks - depends on the day.

I'll be in Jupiter from the 10-17th with my brother. We have two kayak charters planned with Deep Blue Kayak fishing for some sailfish action, and two days booked on the Black Dog for some bottom fishing. I'll be interested to hear how you guys made out as I'll definitely be doing some surf fishing as well. Good luck!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The key is the wind and its impact on both the surf and water temperatures. 

For example, at sunrise on Saturday I met Ftyer on the beach with his buddy. Independently, Zcoker was there as well. It was dead, no sign of bait, no sign of gamefish. Zane noted some blacktips spinning but ~150 yards off the beach. Discouraging. 

Z noted that the wind out of the south was bringing in hot air and water with it which was keeping the baint, jacks and sharks out in cooler waters. I agreed that the water felt warmer than it had the prior weekend. 

Ftyer and his friend left and  and I were chatting about resolutions, etc. Then all of a sudden a wave rolls is, backlit by the sun, the 7-8 jacks riding the wave. Z and I had plugs in the water in less than 10 seconds and were immediately hooked up. Jacks were all in the 5-6 pound range. They were chasing small ballyhoo schools and made their way quickly up the beach. I say up because they were coming from the direction of the south wind. 

Z and I ran up the beach 100 yards and back. When they were near, it was a hook up every cast. I released most of mine but he kept a couple of mine and his for shark baits. 

He made an interesting observations, the water temp had dropped at least 10 degrees since the earlier no-life time. An upswell likely took place somewhere off the beach bring cold water from the deep and with it the fish. Z noted blacktips chasing the jacks and he hooked up one or two blackips but did not connect for long. 

Anyway, watch the wind for a sense of what to expect. On these beaches at this time of year, a wind out of the east, especially the northeast, would be welcome. Makes the surf sloppier but that is what these fish prefer. 

IMG_4557.JPG.4daa762a622891a86cefba09c2f0aaeb.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG.5eb5798f7e028c879056ec733d206b58.JPG

IMG_2412.jpeg.fad44802c74a3fa5c374de6fbbbba84f.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

On 1/2/2019 at 7:58 PM, tomkaz said:

The key is the wind and its impact on both the surf and water temperatures. 

For example, at sunrise on Saturday I met Ftyer on the beach with his buddy. Independently, Zcoker was there as well. It was dead, no sign of bait, no sign of gamefish. Zane noted some blacktips spinning but ~150 yards off the beach. Discouraging. 

Z noted that the wind out of the south was bringing in hot air and water with it which was keeping the baint, jacks and sharks out in cooler waters. I agreed that the water felt warmer than it had the prior weekend. 

Ftyer and his friend left and  and I were chatting about resolutions, etc. Then all of a sudden a wave rolls is, backlit by the sun, the 7-8 jacks riding the wave. Z and I had plugs in the water in less than 10 seconds and were immediately hooked up. Jacks were all in the 5-6 pound range. They were chasing small ballyhoo schools and made their way quickly up the beach. I say up because they were coming from the direction of the south wind. 

Z and I ran up the beach 100 yards and back. When they were near, it was a hook up every cast. I released most of mine but he kept a couple of mine and his for shark baits. 

He made an interesting observations, the water temp had dropped at least 10 degrees since the earlier no-life time. An upswell likely took place somewhere off the beach bring cold water from the deep and with it the fish. Z noted blacktips chasing the jacks and he hooked up one or two blackips but did not connect for long. 

Anyway, watch the wind for a sense of what to expect. On these beaches at this time of year, a wind out of the east, especially the northeast, would be welcome. Makes the surf sloppier but that is what these fish prefer. 

IMG_4557.JPG.4daa762a622891a86cefba09c2f0aaeb.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG.5eb5798f7e028c879056ec733d206b58.JPG

IMG_2412.jpeg.fad44802c74a3fa5c374de6fbbbba84f.jpeg

Great Post thanks tomkaz!

I will probably be up there tomorrow, Saturday, morning around sunrise. It looks like I may have to fly up to New York on Sunday morning making that possible.