Ftyer

Jupiter Area Advice

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, gman1253 said:

A couple of other places north of the lighthouse free parking ... Coral Cove & Blowing Rocks

lb for lb a jack is much stronger than a blue, IMO - though they don't jump.

If one of my new buds at Juno Friday AM I'll ask him if he's been up that way & get the info. In Jan he also fishes for sharks (black tips)- that must be a workout!

Ah, I know coral cove...that’s a cool place, actually caught my first snook there, and I was hoping to check out Blowing Rocks as well...I was pretty intrigued with the geology of it too. 

I should probably retract my statement about blues and jacks...my biggest jack was probably 6-7 pounds and I just have such a soft spot for bluefish so I was probably too hasty. I hear when you get into a jack in like the 12 pound and up range, it can be a true beast, probably especially on a fly. 

Totally agree with you on the shark. I’d love a shot at one of those on the fly, like I said, I’ll have some very obnoxious flies just in case. I do hear they can be a very easily spooked fish as well which seems fun. 

While I love the idea of a charter, I’m not sure my bank account does, but I  am down to get a meeting going if that’s what everyone does want? 

18 mins ago, gman1253 said:

A couple of other places north of the lighthouse free parking ... Coral Cove & Blowing Rocks

If one of my new buds at Juno Friday AM I'll ask him if he's been up that way & get the info. In Jan he also fishes for sharks (black tips)- that must be a workout!

Gman, you local or a snowbird? You fish north, under or south of the pier? 

38 mins ago, gman1253 said:

Btw, the issue with Blowing Rocks is the parking lot is closed until after sunrise, so no first light fishing. Not sure how far south the last street parking is from the BR park. 

So we plan a pre-first light meetup, fish and then breakfast somewhere. Done by 9:00

7 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Btw, the issue with Blowing Rocks is the parking lot is closed until after sunrise, so no first light fishing. Not sure how far south the last street parking is from the BR park. 

So we plan a pre-first light meetup, fish and then breakfast somewhere. Done by 9:00

I do like that idea at the bottom there. 

I was fishing in Coral Cove Park last week. Had good action for Bluefish, jack, Spanish macrel, ladyfish a few hours before sunset. I used metal lures and surface plugs.

10 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Gman, you local or a snowbird? You fish north, under or south of the pier? 

Long story tomkaz.... have family in the area so we have been coming down in the winter for 4 years or so. This Jan our team was "offshored" by GE with their meltdown & I am semi retirement mode. We are renting in Palm Beach Gardens until the end of Feb & looking around to hopefully buy something if we can find the right place. Both our fathers are in the area & they are both getting pretty old (93 & 89) as well as my brother in law & 1 daughter. CT has been going downhill for years & the cost of living up is only going to increase dramatically with another liberal gov.

I usually fish south of the pier & will tell you where when we meet or via PM, don't want to spot burn but I am sure you know exactly where.

Like mafa94 said unless it's cloudy the action has been slowing down around 7:30AM so far.

Haven;t read all the posts on this thread this AM , got up late for a change! 

10 hours ago, tomkaz said:

That sounds like a plan ... just pick a day/ time  & we can meet at Coral or Blowing, they are pretty close together.  Probably should meet around 6:20AM or so since sunup is right around 7. Suggest weekday vs. weekend to avoid others....

When I travel to fish there, I go by and/or call the brothers at Fishing Headquarters. I don't know the younger guys, but the brothers are always willing to help me, and I buy my license and tackle there in return for a heads-up. Oh yeah, the beer joint/cafe next door is worth the stop. 

Had a friend that used to work at Juno Bait where he built rods. He was always good for a trip or two and didn't care if it was beach or back water. There are plenty of good cptns/guides, be sure to ask questions before you book about how you prefer to fish, you'll find several that can help. 

I like to wade fish and surf fish. I've yet to explore the river inland. 

Fished sunrise in the beach this morning with a steady 15+ mile an hour wind out of the East. Weed was everywhere making every cast a deweeding chore. Used gambler paddletas with weedless weighted hooks and didn’t do too badly. Five jacks up to 3 pounds, two ladyfish, and one small snook. All before the sun was fully over the horizon.

While I can’t be certain, I don’t think I saw anyone else with the bent rod due to a fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

48 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Fished sunrise in the beach this morning with a steady 15+ mile an hour wind out of the East. Weed was everywhere making every cast a deweeding chore. Used gambler paddletas with weedless weighted hooks and didn’t do too badly. Five jacks up to 3 pounds, two ladyfish, and one small snook. All before the sun was fully over the horizon.

While I can’t be certain, I don’t think I saw anyone else with the bent rod due to a fish. 

Hey that’s not too bad at all, especially given those conditions. I’ve been very quickly implementing some weedless resources into my flies just in case, that’s probably the confirmation I needed to hear to really get cracking on weedless stuff. Thank you for the report as well. 

Edited by Ftyer

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, tomkaz said:

Sat AM -  agree -- hooked 5 jack on 6 casts with a 2 oz Gator spoon. Wind & weed was tough & when I lost the 2oz I was toast. Ran down to Juno & lots of activity on top & rest of water column.  Jacks everywhere.

Edited by gman1253

On 12/8/2018 at 11:38 AM, Ftyer said:

Hey that’s not too bad at all, especially given those conditions. I’ve been very quickly implementing some weedless resources into my flies just in case, that’s probably the confirmation I needed to hear to really get cracking on weedless stuff. Thank you for the report as well. 

Be forewarned -- the wind & surf are tough down here in the winter for a fly guy..(;-).

Use an  intermediate line & make sure you bring a spin rod just in case. Last winter 15+ was a light day.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:38 AM, Ftyer said:

The problem with the weeds is not the flies or hooks on lures, it is the line. The sargassum is like velcro and wraps itself around your line with wave action. Then, as you retrieve, the wrapped weeds will slide down the line and accumulate at the head of the fly or lure. Yesterday I was fishing a Gambler paddletail weedless but it kept coming back with weed on its nose. 

Fly rod will work "in the back" if the ocean is not cooperative. 

56 mins ago, tomkaz said:

The problem with the weeds is not the flies or hooks on lures, it is the line. The sargassum is like velcro and wraps itself around your line with wave action. Then, as you retrieve, the wrapped weeds will slide down the line and accumulate at the head of the fly or lure. Yesterday I was fishing a Gambler paddletail weedless but it kept coming back with weed on its nose. 

Fly rod will work "in the back" if the ocean is not cooperative. 

Ah yep...that makes complete sense. I was tying those flies for the mangroves but figure they could do double-duty. 

And I was thinking that exact thing if the surf isn’t cooperating. I’m the kind of guy who will spend four days on the water without bump “learning” before I’ll grab a more conventional rod—nothing against them at all, I just don’t own one and enjoy the challenges of fly fishing as much as the success. 

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

Ah yep...that makes complete sense. I was tying those flies for the mangroves but figure they could do double-duty. 

And I was thinking that exact thing if the surf isn’t cooperating. I’m the kind of guy who will spend four days on the water without bump “learning” before I’ll grab a more conventional rod—nothing against them at all, I just don’t own one and enjoy the challenges of fly fishing as much as the success. 

Got it. But if the forecast is messy but the fish are biting on the ocean side, I can loan you a rod and reel for the length of your stay.