Ftyer

Jupiter Area Advice

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, so I’ll be taking a trip down to the Jupiter area in the beginning of January...I’ve fished this area before in the surf in the summer, but now that it’ll be winter I’m not totally positive of my recon. 

 

Any chance anyone is familiar with the area? Specifically in the winter...not totally sure about that season/where is best to target. I’m assuming efforts should be focused away from

the surf and more inland? I’ll be fly fishing as well. 

 

Not lookong for anyone’s special spots but just general types of areas to hit, any possible baitfish, etc. I would love to know what type of shrimp you guys have, I always find them to be such fascinating little buggers and really love imitating them. 

 

I use all barbless hooks, am as kind to fish as possible, and I’ll always leave an area with more trash than I bring in. 

 

Thanks anyone for help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

@zcoker can chime in with far more knowledge than me. 

 

Winter is not bad on the beaches here. Bluefish, spanish mackerel, ladyfish and jack crevalle are regulars. All can be taken in the surf with traditional spinning gear. 8-12' surf rods with reels in the 4000-8000 range and 20-40# braid more than suffice. There are also opportunities off the ocean in the various waterways that feed into the river which leads to Jupiter Inlet. 

 

The jetty at Jupiter Inlet is popular, at least the south jetty which is accessible from nearby parking. The north jetty is less accessible given it is bounded by a private community. I have walked there from further north and it is a hike, but can be well worth it. I did that this past Saturday and had bluefish and jacks. Guy I met there was battling a 6-7 pound jack when a goliath grouper came up and tried to take the jack. 

 

Flyfishing from the beach is very situation specific, depending on wind and surf. I have tried with a 9' 9wt over-lined with a 10wt intermediate and can get out enough when the fish are in the suds. Under the right conditions, you don't need to cast more than 40' off the sand to hook up the little guys (up to five pounds). Great fun on 8-9wt. But if the wind is blowing 15+ out of the east, getting a cast out can be a challenge unless you are practiced at casting into a stiff wind (I have not mastered such). 

 

I don't bait fish much, preferring artificials or flies. My preferred beach spinning rig is a 12' 2-5oz Century paired with either a Saragosa 6000 or VS VR125, both spooled with 30#. 

 

Maybe we can meet up while you are here. I try to get out at least once on the weekends. 

 

ETA: Depending on conditions and water temps, we might have blacktip sharks readily available off the beach. 

 

Last thought, if you are interested in a charter, I can recommend one or two captains, one who is exclusively fly and the other who is "whatever it takes". Both live in Jupiter. 

Edited by tomkaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, tomkaz said:

@zcoker can chime in with far more knowledge than me. 

 

Winter is not bad on the beaches here. Bluefish, spanish mackerel, ladyfish and jack crevalle are regulars. All can be taken in the surf with traditional spinning gear. 8-12' surf rods with reels in the 4000-8000 range and 20-40# braid more than suffice. There are also opportunities off the ocean in the various waterways that feed into the river which leads to Jupiter Inlet. 

 

The jetty at Jupiter Inlet is popular, at least the south jetty which is accessible from nearby parking. The north jetty is less accessible given it is bounded by a private community. I have walked there from further north and it is a hike, but can be well worth it. I did that this past Saturday and had bluefish and jacks. Guy I met there was battling a 6-7 pound jack when a goliath grouper came up and tried to take the jack. 

 

Flyfishing from the beach is very situation specific, depending on wind and surf. I have tried with a 9' 9wt over-lined with a 10wt intermediate and can get out enough when the fish are in the suds. Under the right conditions, you don't need to cast more than 40' off the sand to hook up the little guys (up to five pounds). Great fun on 8-9wt. But if the wind is blowing 15+ out of the east, getting a cast out can be a challenge unless you are practiced at casting into a stiff wind (I have not mastered such). 

 

I don't bait fish much, preferring artificials or flies. My preferred beach spinning rig is a 12' 2-5oz Century paired with either a Saragosa 6000 or VS VR125, both spooled with 30#. 

 

Maybe we can meet up while you are here. I try to get out at least once on the weekends. 

 

ETA: Depending on conditions and water temps, we might have blacktip sharks readily available off the beach. 

 

Last thought, if you are interested in a charter, I can recommend one or two captains, one who is exclusively fly and the other who is "whatever it takes". Both live in Jupiter. 

 

Wow, thank you so much for such an informative response. 

 

First things first, that’s great to hear that the beaches have some action in the winter...realistically, jacks are bar none my favorite of Florida’s usual suspects, catch a seven or eight pounder and that thing will show you who’s boss with ease. Since I don’t fish for table fare, I’d be fine catching nothing but those haha. 

 

I do believe I’ve fished the south jetty at the inlet before and haven’t caught anything there specifically, but have caught plenty of fish between that jetty and the large pier a couple miles away. I’d love to fish that area again, just wasn’t sure that it held fish? My plan was to try to figure out where tohit some areas in the intracoastal waterways, check that out as well as an area that rhymes with “globe bound” (didn’t wanna spot burn?), and then hit the beaches if I strike out everywhere else. 

 

I’m definitely game to meet up if you like.  I’ll be there starting the first of January into about the 7th. I will say, I won’t have much access to driving so I won’t be able to go too much further than the immediate Jupiter area but I’m always down to have an extra guy on the water, if the fishing’s bad, it usually at least saves me from recounting my own fishing stories and getting to hear someone else’s! I’ll have a buddy with me, but he’s just like me, fly fisherman with a focus on preserving the environment and just having a good time; we have absolutely zero issues walking two or three miles just to get skunked haha. 

 

And I’ll tell ya, I’d love to catch a shark on the fly and will bring some obnoxious patterns and steel leaders just in case. 

 

Thanks again for the advice and let me know if that timeframe works at all for you and we might be able to work something out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom about covered it. Just be sure to go fishing "first light" because the fishing is very on/off round those beaches. Usually have a window of action that dies off rather quickly when the beautiful Florida sunrise shines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, zcoker said:

Tom about covered it. Just be sure to go fishing "first light" because the fishing is very on/off round those beaches. Usually have a window of action that dies off rather quickly when the beautiful Florida sunrise shines.

That’s about what I was thinking as well. I remember once a couple years ago, jacks were crushing bait from about forty minutes before first light into about twenty minutes of the sunrise, then everything just died, so that’s helpful to know that that type of thing occurs in the winter and wasn’t just a summer fluke for me. 

 

Anyone happen to know the laws pertaining to Intracoastal waterways? Is it one of those, if I’m wading, I’m not trespassing things? Navigation laws can just be so finnicky from state to state so I want to be sure I won’t be accidentally breaking the law. 

 

Thank you for the response as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Ftyer said:

That’s about what I was thinking as well. I remember once a couple years ago, jacks were crushing bait from about forty minutes before first light into about twenty minutes of the sunrise, then everything just died, so that’s helpful to know that that type of thing occurs in the winter and wasn’t just a summer fluke for me. 

 

Anyone happen to know the laws pertaining to Intracoastal waterways? Is it one of those, if I’m wading, I’m not trespassing things? Navigation laws can just be so finnicky from state to state so I want to be sure I won’t be accidentally breaking the law. 

 

Thank you for the response as well! 

 

Never heard of any wading laws Lol. I've yaked/waded all round there, around docks, all along the home fronts, up the Lox river, never had any issues when out after rays. Wade fishing gonna be prime further up north in the wider river areas where there's less home fronts and more shallow water to actually wade in. Around Jupiter, the water is shallower on the west side of the A1A bridge in the Lox river but need a yak to get out there. Low tide can be your friend in a few local spots without a yak but not so much your friend when coming back LoL. Some neat little islands out there in the Lox mouth with bars all over the place, cuts and channels, full of fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, zcoker said:

 

Never heard of any wading laws Lol. I've yaked/waded all round there, around docks, all along the home fronts, up the Lox river, never had any issues when out after rays. Wade fishing gonna be prime further up north in the wider river areas where there's less home fronts and more shallow water to actually wade in. Around Jupiter, the water is shallower on the west side of the A1A bridge in the Lox river but need a yak to get out there. Low tide can be your friend in a few local spots without a yak but not so much your friend when coming back LoL. Some neat little islands out there in the Lox mouth with bars all over the place, cuts and channels, full of fish.

You’re the man, I can’t thank you enough for all of the help there...I didn’t think that there were any laws allowing me not to, but like I said, no one wants to be the a**hole who cheeses off the wrong homeowner and now that person is gonna call the cops on anyone with a stick of graphite and it’s ruined for everyone else. 

 

I’ve never really fished the Lox but am definitely intending to this time around, seems like an awesome place even without the the fish. 

 

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One place to wade fish is the backside of Singer Island, a few miles south of Jupiter. In particular about 2/3 the way down SI opposite the fire department building. Park at Ocean Reef Beach parking lot and walk north. Enter the water at the north end of the aluminum fence there. That is best fished from mid-rising to high and back down again as it gets real skinny at low water. At high tide it is waist to slightly higher depth. Jacks, blues and ladies in there and real easy to throw flies there. 

 

One note, water temps get colder now and while walking the beach can still be done in shorts, if I were wading, I would consider waders. I fished the back of SI a lot when we lived there and waders are invaluable when water temps drop below 80. 

 

Btw, Ocean Reef Beach on the ocean side can offer opportunity as well. I lived right next door for 3+ years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tomkaz said:

One place to wade fish is the backside of Singer Island, a few miles south of Jupiter. In particular about 2/3 the way down SI opposite the fire department building. Park at Ocean Reef Beach parking lot and walk north. Enter the water at the north end of the aluminum fence there. That is best fished from mid-rising to high and back down again as it gets real skinny at low water. At high tide it is waist to slightly higher depth. Jacks, blues and ladies in there and real easy to throw flies there. 

 

One note, water temps get colder now and while walking the beach can still be done in shorts, if I were wading, I would consider waders. I fished the back of SI a lot when we lived there and waders are invaluable when water temps drop below 80. 

 

Btw, Ocean Reef Beach on the ocean side can offer opportunity as well. I lived right next door for 3+ years. 

Ah, that looks like a great area...surf on one side and something else on the back, seems perfect. Thanks again to ya, and like I said, just say the word if you wanna link up, I’m hoping that fly fishing and eating are my main two priorities while I’m there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fish on at Juno as well, blues, jacks, macks & an occasional snook. I have yet to land a mack though I have had about 10 on.

 

Did excellent today  jacks & 1 snook. Blues blasted pinfish, croakers yesterday PM & all kinds of dead baitfish littered the beach yesterday & today AM. Blues up in Hobe Sound as well.

 

Left my fly rods home this winter (I think I was able to fish the beach 4 times last year due to winds). The wind has not been bad so far this year.

 

Here until end of Feb...  if you guys want to get together I'm up for it!

 

BTW zcoker is right ... cloudy days the bite lasts longer! 

 

Edited by gman1253

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, gman1253 said:

Fish on at Juno as well, blues, jacks, macks & an occasional snook. I have yet to land a mack though I have had about 10 on.

 

Did excellent today  jacks & 1 snook. Blues blasted pinfish, croakers yesterday PM & all kinds of dead baitfish littered the beach yesterday & today AM. Blues up in Hobe Sound as well.

 

Left my fly rods home this winter (I think I was able to fish the beach 4 times last year due to winds). The wind has not been bad so far this year.

 

Here until end of Feb...  if you guys want to get together I'm up for it!

 

BTW zcoker is right ... cloudy days the bite lasts longer! 

 

Ah man...bait getting washed up on the beaches, that’s one of the best sights around! And I’ve read about blues in that area and was definitely planning on  scouting it out, I love how mad those fish are, sorta like a jack but with a tiny bit more tenacity I’ve found. 

 

But like I said, I’m definitely down to meet up if anyone likes in the general Jupiter area. 

 

Thank you for the teply too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if there are four of us, this sounds like a boondoggle in the making. I can line up a fly only or fly/spin charter for $150-200 each. Dry ride on ocean catamaran. Or fish inside if too gnarly out. Captain Ron’s BiteMe charters, personal friend and fly casting instructor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Ah man...bait getting washed up on the beaches, that’s one of the best sights around! And I’ve read about blues in that area and was definitely planning on  scouting it out, I love how mad those fish are, sorta like a jack but with a tiny bit more tenacity I’ve found. 

 

But like I said, I’m definitely down to meet up if anyone likes in the general Jupiter area. 

 

Thank you for the teply too 

A couple of other places north of the lighthouse free parking ... Coral Cove & Blowing Rocks

 

lb for lb a jack is much stronger than a blue, IMO - though they don't jump.

 

If one of my new buds at Juno Friday AM I'll ask him if he's been up that way & get the info. In Jan he also fishes for sharks (black tips)- that must be a workout!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cool thread....im piecing a trip out of Boynton (dads place )together now. hope to leave soon. bringing gheenoe.....prob run down to the glades....usually go more like April and run up around j Dickinson park. any other spot I should check out in December 15 to jan 4ish?  please pm if u don't wanna spot burn..... seems like Florida a bit trickier to fish in winter.... will snook still b around the snook nook area this late?  when will all the fatties have moved out of sedation and ft pierce? thx....I usually hang boyton inlet but hope to branch out a bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, gman1253 said:

A couple of other places north of the lighthouse free parking ... Coral Cove & Blowing Rocks

 

lb for lb a jack is much stronger than a blue, IMO - though they don't jump.

 

If one of my new buds at Juno Friday AM I'll ask him if he's been up that way & get the info. In Jan he also fishes for sharks (black tips)- that must be a workout!

 

 

Coral Cove, our “secret” spot?!  

 

If you saw my “first beach tarpon” thread, I caught it there. Great reef action but don’t tell too many about it. Zane won’t be happy. 

 

Zane is in shark mode at this point. He has released more sharks than anyone I know, with the exception of Josh Jorgensen, I think. 

 

My beach spinking loadout these these days are my standard Century build for anything and a Blackhole Rod rigged with large top water  and short wire leader. I have not graduated to bait for sharks as yet. 

Edited by tomkaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.