patabate

Should manufacturers mark weight on leadheads?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

They can’t even get the weight right on the package and you want it stamped in the jig .. ever put any them kalins in the scale ? Most are pretty far off of what’s advertised and normally heavier if you believe that 

This wouldnt be any selling point from my perspective. I cant say I have ever looked at water conditions and said to myself " This requires a 3/4 oz jig" as opposed to 1/2 or 1 oz. Even if someone tells me they are bumping bottom or sweeping quickly with a certain weight, there are so many other variables (e.g. line type/test, jig type, amount of hair), I take it with a grain of salt.

I make a cast, and if I am not where I want to be depth or action wise, I go heavier or lighter as needed. Any difference in weight I cannot feel in my hand won't make any discernible difference in the water. Oftentimes it is more about the density of the overall jig than the actual weight. Feeling in my hand is more telling than a scale.

I do file notches in some of my jigs. Tin gets 1 notch, Pewter gets 2 notches. This has nothing to do with how I will fish them. Rather in the event I ever melt them down, they don't get mixed in with the lead or white metal pot.

I wonder if you got a die set stamp set from Harbor Freight and did it your self would work.

I’m sure the paint would crack but you could live with it or touch it up.

As far as weights being accurate, and it may not apply much here with the size of the jigs that most use, I have a couple of molds that are for smaller jigs, with a close range of weights. For example, there's not much difference between 3/16 oz & 1/4 oz. and if I use a hook with a longer shank, it changes the total weight. That could be said of many mold styles, and especially modified molds where a much larger, heavier hook is used. So it makes it difficult to compare weights between lure makers if they're using different hook styles/models in the same mold. 

I can usually tell the difference between most weights, but not always. Frankly, I'm like wok167 when it comes to picking a jighead to fish with, I choose something that looks right, and change if it's not doing what I need. Rarely have I had to switch jigs that only had slight differences in weight, so doesn't matter if I can identify the actual weight. 

There's also what Dan mentioned about powder paints. Different paint types apply in differing thickness, which affects the weight slightly. Some powders I use apply thicker than others, so unless the marking was large enough to still be legible, it's going to get hidden with some paints. Some jig molds that I use have some fine detail that becomes a solid, smooth texture because of the powder coatings I may use. On heavy jigs, a protruding number marking the weight probably wouldn't affect the action, but might as you go smaller on some styles of jigs. 

I tried marking weighted flies years ago, with different color threads, and that worked great until I got older and forget what color went with what amount of added weight. :laugh:

Short of having a box for each weight, which is also probably not practical for most folks, I don't have an answer to this issue. Sorry. :eek:

I’ve used numbered punches to label once apon a time .. it was more work and just not worth it to me but  one swift whack with hammer does punch a number in them well enough ..I pour hundreds when I pour and marking 200 plus jigs wasn’t so fun or worth it to me .. jigs are pretty disposable, at least the spot I fish them you bound to be pinning bottom at some point in the night so I try and make them as quickly and cheaply as possible so it doesn’t bother me so much pinning them ..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pat, I have same problem so I bought a postal scale and weigh my bucktails and put green (3/4),  red (1 oz.) , black (1 1/4) and orange (1 1/2)  sharpie mark on heads depending on size. These are usually the sizes I mostly fish and the ones that are toughest to differentiate the size when I am out standing on a rock as you have mentioned.  I redo sharpie mark as needed. Works out well.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

They probably don't mark them because they use different lead sources at times and the weight marked on the jigs would be off more often than not, and then they'd have to hear about that.  If it's necessary for you to know the weights, just weigh them yourself and mark them with an indelible Sharpie.  

marking the lead weight with a number does not mean that the lead head jig will be what ever is the weight on the head. I have molds that have numbers on them and for the most part they were suppose to be in ounces. However after melting them and in some cases weighing them they were not even close to what they should have been [These were lead weights] I once asked my good friend Mr. K about the numbers he had on the packing and he told me that it was just  a number . The larger the number the heavier the weight and also the same held true with his jig heads as well. He discovered as many do that pour heads and weights that simple changing of the lead mixture and in some cases the molds themselves did not pour an accurate  weight because it was not made correct to begin with. He told me that if he placed an ounce sign on the head or weight along with the number of ounces that he would be afraid of being taken to task for them being inaccurate when he changed hooks or packing . The idea was to have what ever was in a package that the number would represent the weight including the packaging and hair attached . A simple bare jig with out hair or paint would be hard pressed to meet the number of ounces if etched on the jig. In some cases. I have some heads that still have numbers etched and for the most part when weighed they are more then the number printed on them once the hair and paint is applied. I use a postage stamp scale on most of what i use , even plugs just so that i know what the weights are . Even plugs in some cases vary from batch to batch , so it is nice to know what the differences are when you are casting under different circumstances.

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

I’ve used numbered punches to label once apon a time .. it was more work and just not worth it to me but  one swift whack with hammer does punch a number in them well enough ..I pour hundreds when I pour and marking 200 plus jigs wasn’t so fun or worth it to me .. jigs are pretty disposable, at least the spot I fish them you bound to be pinning bottom at some point in the night so I try and make them as quickly and cheaply as possible so it doesn’t bother me so much pinning them ..

Why not use the numbered punches to label 1 mold instead of 200 plus jigs?