patabate

Should manufacturers mark weight on leadheads?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

It's tackle clean up time and I'm trying to sort out what I have in leadheads, what needs to be replace etc. When I used traditional bucktails that I tied it was easier to tell what they weighed since they were similar shapes. Now I use more leadhead/ plastic tail combos with various shapes and manufacturers and I'm beside myself trying to tell a 1/2 oz from a 3/4 oz and so on. Seems that tackle manufacturers are coming out with all variations of sizes, shapes and colors of leadheads with no indication of size. Kalins at one time stamped the size on their leadheads but discontinued the practice.

I'm appealing to tackle and mold manufacturers to somehow permanently mark the size on leadheads. Its been done on sinkers forever. more critical than shape and color of a leadhead is its weight.

Does anyone else have this peeve? Are there any manufacturers who want to make their products better?

I've always had this same thought. Something I thought of but never end up doing was putting a dot of nailpolish or paint on the lead head and have a color coordinated weight chart that you could make and follow (red-1/2 oz orange- 3/4oz yellow- 1 oz etc.)

Would it be handy? Sure. 

A food scale is around $10. Not too difficult to weigh and sort them yourself. Not a big enough problem to make pet peeve status for me.  ;)

About the only thing I can accurately guesstimate the weight of is 12 oz in a container.  For everything else I weigh and group together in plano boxes. 

12 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Would it be handy? Sure. 

A food scale is around $10. Not too difficult to weigh and sort them yourself. Not a big enough problem to make pet peeve status for me.  ;)

I'm in the process of getting one, but it won't help me when I'm trying to pick out a specific weight while standing on a rock. 

4 mins ago, patabate said:

I'm in the process of getting one, but it won't help me when I'm trying to pick out a specific weight while standing on a rock. 

Pat - Just hang it on your Manley scale ;)   

I put a sharpie to some of mine but it eventually wears off.  As you say it would be quite the jig mold if the weight could be incorporated into the cavity. 

Seems too obvious to not have been done before. 

Lead is soft, maybe the best answer is the stamp them ourselves? Would chip the paint and then bass won’t bite those new fancy colored skinner jigs :)

1 hour ago, DZ said:

I put a sharpie to some of mine but it eventually wears off.  As you say it would be quite the jig mold if the weight could be incorporated into the cavity. 

Seems too obvious to not have been done before. 

I did this with some of my molds many years ago - not the actual weights but a relative size because I often poured them out of pure tin and the weights were different than lead :)  I used a dremel drill and cut lines into some odd shaped jig heads like the "pregnant minnow" style where they are difficult to judge between the sizes - the smallest got a "I" - next size got a "II" and the biggest got a "III". Strangely enough, we never called them one, two and three but small, medium and large :o   

It wasn't difficult...and these weren't painted but fished plain...a thick paint job would make it harder to distinguish the marks. I'm guessing mold makers don't want to limit the potential pool of buyers by cutting lines or marks into the mold cavities...I can't think of any reason why enterprising jig makers couldn't scratch some marks in their molds :)

TimS

I think those were H style jigs. They had little bulges or dots on one side that was built into the mold. I'm not even sure what they weighed but you used the appropriate one based on the # of dots it had.  

I use 2, 2.5, and 3 oz for most of my fishing so i've learned to tell them all apart just by looks. 

I own over 275 molds. I don't have any, but have seen jig molds that have markings that indicate the weight. They're primarily sold offshore, like in Europe and have gram markings. 

A lot of sinker molds have the weight indicated, but IMO, lure molds may not because not everyone cares what weight is what, and cares more about appearances. 

If you stamp an aluminum mold, like Do It's, it's going to be a protruding mark on the jig. To get a recessed number, it would have to be molded in. Maybe that's part of the problem, especially with smaller weights, it would be a lot of extra work & added cost for the mold maker. Molds sold in the USA would have to marked one way, and another offshore. Wouldn't be possible or practical to mark them with both systems, especially small jigs. 

I would think that there would be the same problem with CNC milled molds. They're already fairly expensive, to the point many folks won't buy them. I'm not up to date on machining practices, but would expect it would add another step, and more cost.

I can see the point of having the weights marked, but may not be practical on the manufacturing end. 

30 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I think those were H style jigs. They had little bulges or dots on one side that was built into the mold. I'm not even sure what they weighed but you used the appropriate one based on the # of dots it had.  

I use 2, 2.5, and 3 oz for most of my fishing so i've learned to tell them all apart just by looks. 

Don't remember the dots, I know I cut pretty deep lines into them so you could feel and see them...but they were smaller than the ones you were using, they were more like 3/4, 1 and 1 1/2oz (in lead). The smaller ones are a little harder to tell apart. Generally, I'm with you, I don't need to know exactly how much a jig head weighs, if it looks like the right size, I tie it on...if it's too light or too heavy I'll adjust accordingly...like everyone else :)

TimS

22 mins ago, tidewaterfly said:

I own over 275 molds. I don't have any, but have seen jig molds that have markings that indicate the weight. They're primarily sold offshore, like in Europe and have gram markings. 

A lot of sinker molds have the weight indicated, but IMO, lure molds may not because not everyone cares what weight is what, and cares more about appearances. 

If you stamp an aluminum mold, like Do It's, it's going to be a protruding mark on the jig. To get a recessed number, it would have to be molded in. Maybe that's part of the problem, especially with smaller weights, it would be a lot of extra work & added cost for the mold maker. Molds sold in the USA would have to marked one way, and another offshore. Wouldn't be possible or practical to mark them with both systems, especially small jigs. 

I would think that there would be the same problem with CNC milled molds. They're already fairly expensive, to the point many folks won't buy them. I'm not up to date on machining practices, but would expect it would add another step, and more cost.

I can see the point of having the weights marked, but may not be practical on the manufacturing end. 

Thank you Tide.  You said everything I was thinking.  Like you I have hundreds of molds.  Some are hand pour, some are rubber, some are iron and some are plaster.  Marking or molding in the weights is just not practical besides the fact that the markings will be covered by a good coat of powder paint.  It's a nice idea but...............