Lagerhead

Eagles now 6-6..... Chances?

Rate this topic

274 posts in this topic

Wentz is absolutely still the long term franchise QB in Philly.   Based on what you read about recovery times, it wouldn't have been out of the question that he still hadn't played a snap and was just now getting ready to make his 2018 debut.   Instead he came back at the earliest possible window, and has gone 21/7 TD/Int with a near 70% completion %.   And who knows how many games that was with a busted vertebrae screwing up his core movements.    

There's only 10-15 people on the planet at any given time capable of playing NFL QB at a consistently high level, and he is sure as sh*t one of them.  

10 mins ago, fishfood said:

Wentz is absolutely still the long term franchise QB in Philly.   Based on what you read about recovery times, it wouldn't have been out of the question that he still hadn't played a snap and was just now getting ready to make his 2018 debut.   Instead he came back at the earliest possible window, and has gone 21/7 TD/Int with a near 70% completion %.   And who knows how many games that was with a busted vertebrae screwing up his core movements.    

There's only 10-15 people on the planet at any given time capable of playing NFL QB at a consistently high level, and he is sure as sh*t one of them.  

Ill give you high level.

Cant give you consistent. Not this year...

But having seen how high the level can be last year, without a doubt he's the horse they gotta ride...

He definitely regressed from last year in some decision making and downfield throws, and I admitted earlier in this thread that a lot of their woes this year can be blamed on Wentz and the offense's slow starts.   

But he's been pretty consistent and pretty good, by almost any measure.  I just looked at his game log...8 of 11 games hes topped 65% comp, 250+ yards, 2 or 3 TDs, and 0 or 1 pick.  Before the back injury news, he was on pace for a 2nd straight 25+TD, <10 pick season, which has only been done twice (Brady/Rodgers) in the history of the NFL.  98 or better passer rating in 9 or 11 starts.  

You could argue his completion $ and passer rating are inflated by sort passes, but with all of their speed WRs in IR, that might have been unavoidable.   I'm still on the Wentz Wagon.   

I think we saw the "real" Wentz last year before the ACL injury..... surprised at what he did this year coming back from that AND now the cracked vertebrae .

Eagles are lucky to have him . 

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

He definitely regressed from last year in some decision making and downfield throws, and I admitted earlier in this thread that a lot of their woes this year can be blamed on Wentz and the offense's slow starts.   

But he's been pretty consistent and pretty good, by almost any measure.  I just looked at his game log...8 of 11 games hes topped 65% comp, 250+ yards, 2 or 3 TDs, and 0 or 1 pick.  Before the back injury news, he was on pace for a 2nd straight 25+TD, <10 pick season, which has only been done twice (Brady/Rodgers) in the history of the NFL.  98 or better passer rating in 9 or 11 starts.  

You could argue his completion $ and passer rating are inflated by sort passes, but with all of their speed WRs in IR, that might have been unavoidable.   I'm still on the Wentz Wagon.   

Its the "Before the back injury" that's killin me. Is this

"before the back, the knee,the ribs, the wrist" always gonna

b the story w this kid? Sam Bradford like? Why always underthrowing

the long ball? Injury? Doesn't he still have 2 seasons on his rookie contract?

UGH! So much upside possible, but, guys that get injured a lot...…...

get injured a lot.

23 mins ago, yosco said:

Its the "Before the back injury" that's killin me. Is this

"before the back, the knee,the ribs, the wrist" always gonna

b the story w this kid? Sam Bradford like? Why always underthrowing

the long ball? Injury? Doesn't he still have 2 seasons on his rookie contract?

UGH! So much upside possible, but, guys that get injured a lot...…...

get injured a lot.

I blame God.

I guess time will tell.  He started his NFL career with 29 straight games before he had two defenders unluckily converge on his leg simultaneously while diving into the end zone.   Not much you can do about that one.   If they lose Sunday and the season is officially toast, it makes zero sense to bring him back...otherwise this might have been a "put on some extra pads and tough it out" injury.  

Curious when the back fracture occurred.  He's definitely taken several never-saw-the-guy shots to his back this season. Hope he improves on that going forward, or he might spend a lot more time hurt.  

1 hour ago, ovenrat said:

I think we saw the "real" Wentz last year before the ACL injury..... surprised at what he did this year coming back from that AND now the cracked vertebrae .

Eagles are lucky to have him . 

Agreed.  I just watched highlights of last years Eagles/Rams game.  Wentz was incredible in that game.  When you compare his mobility in that game to this season, it's night and day.  

Consistent high-level is a bit premature at this point injury or not with Wentz.

let's see how he is 10 years so now before that label is put to him.

This Record has been played before with other quarterbacks around the league

To clarify, I did say that there's only 10-15 guys at any given time capable of doing it...meaning they have the combination of raw talent, football smarts, and work ethic for it to even be a plausible outcome.  I count Wentz among that group.  Really only a handful of guys in any era actually pull it off for any length of time.   He might never be elite, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility (like it is with say, Tannehill/Bortles/Keenum/Dalton/Winston/Gabbert/Kessler/etc/etc/etc)

But, I unabashedly love the guy, so I might be a bit biased....  

4 hours ago, fishfood said:

Still on the Wentz wagon too..

But complete lack of 1st quarter scoring this year wasnt all coaching...

Numbers be damned, he had a pretty uneven year based on the eye test..

2 hours ago, fishfood said:

I guess time will tell.  He started his NFL career with 29 straight games before he had two defenders unluckily converge on his leg simultaneously while diving into the end zone.   Not much you can do about that one.   If they lose Sunday and the season is officially toast, it makes zero sense to bring him back...otherwise this might have been a "put on some extra pads and tough it out" injury.  

Curious when the back fracture occurred.  He's definitely taken several never-saw-the-guy shots to his back this season. Hope he improves on that going forward, or he might spend a lot more time hurt.  

If Im him....eff that put on some extra  pads and tough it out... It's not a knew or ankle or something, it's a back. Wouldn't be taking any chances with that...screw it up bad enough and thats a life changer...

Sit and rest young man. Live to fight another day

They got a trophy. They have what could be another 10 years to build a team around him. 

He he needs more experience and part of that is taking less chances with escaping.

Youre right about the eye test. Are his receivers not getting separation?

1 hour ago, Lagerhead said:

They got a trophy. They have what could be another 10 years to build a team around him. 

He he needs more experience and part of that is taking less chances with escaping.

Youre right about the eye test. Are his receivers not getting separation?

I wonder about the receivers too.

Seems like when he does throw to them it always needs to be a precise pass...

Or more likely when I see other teams receivers running wild through our secondary I always wonder why our guys can never be that wide open..