Jewjitzu

Blank for deep water Fluke

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Trying to decide between building on a 7'6mh Blackhole Challenger or a United Composites CE700L.

I've used the CE700L for blackfish and it held the weight (up to 12oz) very well. Just wanted your input on which works the bucktails and highlows with weight better. Party boat fishing, block island, 80-100ft of water.

Also, does anyone know the standard fuji trigger grip size that fits on the blackhole? Is it the same as the 7'3M? I assume neither would fit on the CE700L.

I have been fishing the Blackhole Challenger 7.5MH for blackfish and deepwater sea bass and cod with a Tranx 300 up to 14 ounce sinkers.  I built it using a spiral wrap and it is a sweet set up.  You can use either a Fuji trigger #18 or #20 depending on the reel you plan to use.

For deepwater fluke buck tailing the Blackhole Challenger 701L trimmed up one tip size, also spiral wrapped, works great.

Edited by Al Goldberg

On 12/5/2018 at 0:37 AM, Al Goldberg said:

I have been fishing the Blackhole Challenger 7.5MH for blackfish and deepwater sea bass and cod with a Tranx 300 up to 14 ounce sinkers.  I built it using a spiral wrap and it is a sweet set up.  You can use either a Fuji trigger #18 or #20 depending on the reel you plan to use.

For deepwater fluke buck tailing the Blackhole Challenger 701L trimmed up one tip size, also spiral wrapped, works great.

Plus one on the 701L, but i believe that holds up to 5 oz only. But it is a great rod for togging, especially when you’re jigging too. 

Thank you for all of your input.

I've pulled on the rodgeeks. Great tog blanks. I feel the tip is too sloppy for a bucktail.

I'm having the UC built and I picked up the blank for a 7'3M challenger. Run 30lb test on the first, 20lb on the second with a tranx. Should be fine for 4-8oz weights.