Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HeyNine-ah

Striped Bass assessment 2017- a comparative analysis

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

With Virginia looking to put a 36” max in place on their own and North Carolina closing certain areas to stripes fishing we may be seeing a big shift in atitude. Theses are normally two states that resist any kind of reduction. 

2 hours ago, MichaelT said:

With Virginia looking to put a 36” max in place on their own and North Carolina closing certain areas to stripes fishing we may be seeing a big shift in atitude. Theses are normally two states that resist any kind of reduction. 

NC has always been very conservative with the Abamarle population, which is what they are doing now. The Atlantic regulations are not changing.

4 hours ago, MichaelT said:

What will happen to Pigzilla???  This is great news!!

22 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

What will happen to Pigzilla???  This is great news!!

So far they are only talking about in the bay. Plus they want Maryland to work with them so who knows if anything will happen. 

1 hour ago, MichaelT said:

So far they are only talking about in the bay. Plus they want Maryland to work with them so who knows if anything will happen. 

Still great news, at least the big breeders will be protected in the bay, especially if Maryland goes along with it.  Now we just need NY to follow suit in the Hudson.

16 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Still great news, at least the big breeders will be protected in the bay, especially if Maryland goes along with it.  Now we just need NY to follow suit in the Hudson.

IIRC the big breeder females are already protected the MD portion of the bay.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

IIRC the big breeder females are already protected the MD portion of the bay.

Curiosity got the better of me - I was curious how well protected they are - what I found was piles and piles of ridiculous and complicated and I'm guessing nearly impossible to understand much less enforce - rules :squid:

Here's how ridiculous - try to follow along - yellow means "catch and release" - red means "no targeted bass fishing" - green means "kill" with a 1 fish each, per day, minimum size 35"...so stupid to target the BIGGEST fish :rolleyes:  Here goes:

January 1 to March 1, it's all catch and release.

The map below is for March 1 through April 19th - you can't fish in some tribs...some you can...some areas are CnR, some are closed...good luck with getting angling public to know where these boundaries are:

MD-bass-3-1-to-4-20.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Then on 4/20-5/15, you can kill 1 per day, min size 35" - a fishery that TARGETS the biggest breeding sized females specifically - 1/day...every day...multiple times per day for charters. The biggest bass in the ocean come here to spawn - while they are in the back of the bay, this moronic trophy season opens...it is absolutely pathetic and short sighted. If it looked confusing before, now it's worse - you can fish in yellow and green areas, but must release the ones caught in the yellow areas...even though they abut green areas. Some areas you can kill them abut to areas you can't even target them...not CnR buffer. Talk about intentionally overly complicated to understand or enforce? 

MD-bass-4-20-to-5-3.png

-----------------------------

May 16th-31th it gets even dumber. Areas open to harvest with areas closed to even C and R fishing all over the place. Limit is now a ridiculous 2/day from 19"-28" OR 1 @ 19"-28" PLUS one over 28". Basically, everyone on the charter kills the biggest fish they can find and then start looking for your 'slot' little fish of 19-28". They make the regulations as complicated and harvest oriented as the complicated fish, CnR and no fishing areas.

MD-bass-5-16-to-5-31.png

In summation, I present the above as proof that MD's regulations are obviously the result of fishing industry advocacy groups fighting to overly complicate regulations and seasons in order to maximize HARVEST of those big breeder bass. They don't protect them, they specifically target them. Just like NJ tries to do. Conservation equivalency that is anything but. The other ASMFC states need to step in and stop MD from focusing their harvest on those large, rare breeding bass until they back in the bay proper. I am now of the opinion that Maryland is actually a BIGGER detriment to the striped bass' future than NJ.

TimS

MD-bass-5-4-to-5-15.png

No argument from me about it being waaaaay too complicated. But when you consider that the spawn is over by May 1st at the latest, they are still protecting the big spawning females.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

No argument from me about it being waaaaay too complicated. But when you consider that the spawn is over by May 1st at the latest, they are still protecting the big spawning females.

Protecting them from what?  Say they make it through the whole run bruised and battered, to return to spawn. Not even mentioning the environmental issues facing the Chesapeake and their spawning grounds.....they succeed.....babies made...they’re tired hungry and in an extremely concentrated area....now let’s “protect” them by promoting the taking of the large females that sustain an enormous percentage of the whole east coast population.  Bass are not salmon, it’s not a spawn and die scenario.....killing those breeders is a selfish short sighted approach with long term consequences.  I understand it’s how things have been done down there for a long time, but times need to change in order to keep these fish around. I’m not on my High horse, I’ve commercially fished, sport fished, sold fish, you name it....there’s lots of blood on my hands, and I believe in the right to harvest. Enough is enough with this fishery, give em a break!