Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HeyNine-ah

Striped Bass assessment 2017- a comparative analysis

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Find your way to YouTube and search for Rich Trockers’s 1 hour piece when you can spare the time this winter. 

It is outstanding. 

35 years of chasing these fish....starting to feel and look like the 80’s. Although the data in this video doesn’t necessarily exhibit that. This summer I visited a small seafaring community in NJ. Easy access to a buddy’s condo for fall fishing. 2 B&t’s on the block separated by 6 stoops. I asked each owner “how is your fall fishing?”  They both said “we have no fish.”

rec and comm fisherman need to stop pointing the finger at each other. We both kill our share of fish. 

Rec anglers...Make no mistake, our release mortality rates are real. 

The ASFMC’s practice of MSY is ruining this magnificent species. 

We’re a long way from making progress. 

Smallmouth bass fill the void.  

Edited by HeyNine-ah

8 hours ago, HeyNine-ah said:

Find your way to YouTube and search for Rich Trockers’s 1 hour piece when you can spare the time this winter. 

It is outstanding. 

35 years of chasing these fish....starting to feel and look like the 80’s. Although the data in this video doesn’t necessarily exhibit that. This summer I visited a small seafaring community in NJ. Easy access to a buddy’s condo for fall fishing. 2 B&t’s on the block separated by 6 stoops. I asked each owner “how is your fall fishing?”  They both said “we have no fish.”

rec and comm fisherman need to stop pointing the finger at each other. We both kill our share of fish. 

Rec anglers...Make no mistake, our release mortality rates are real. 

The ASFMC’s practice of MSY is ruining this magnificent species. 

We’re a long way from making progress. 

Smallmouth bass fill the void.  

I agree.  I fished in the 80s and it wasn't pretty.  This year I did better than last year when I caught two keepers as opposed to one.  Horrible.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you reach out to the decision makers (governors, ASMFC, senators, NOAA, etc.) and express your concerns.  I know I have and will do so again this winter.

ASMFC will be reviewing the new stripe bass stock assessment in February so we should have a better idea on the current health of the stock. Once that comes out ASMFC may make new recommendation based on the assessment result. Everyone should be watching to see what is recommended as this is one of the most important  times to give input.

22 hours ago, MichaelT said:

ASMFC will be reviewing the new stripe bass stock assessment in February so we should have a better idea on the current health of the stock. Once that comes out ASMFC may make new recommendation based on the assessment result. Everyone should be watching to see what is recommended as this is one of the most important  times to give input.

Hope the for hire and people innit for the money don’t influence them as usual, they all keep saying”best fishing we’ve ever seen” so they can pad their pockets..... would be nice to see a few years of cutbacks to let the fish rebound a little at least, but with the $$ it won’t happen

On 12/4/2018 at 10:36 AM, MichaelT said:

Rumor has it that in their "infinite wisdom", ASMFC will not recommend any reductions.  Meanwhile in VA, here are results from the annual "Pigzilla Rockfish (Striper) Tournament".  So sad they target the monsters and don't go for a C&R event.  These are all HUGE fish with the Top 20 over 50 lbs!!

Thanks to everyone who fish 2018 Pigzilla. Full leaderboard results.

1st Open wide 60lbs 11oz
2nd Aquatreatment 58lbs
3rd No regrets 57lbs 8oz
4th Daddy dog 56lbs 5oz
5th Allfloor up 55lbs 11oz
6th Breedlove 55lbs 10oz
7th Dewy 55lbs 10oz
8th Rob C 55lbs 2oz
9th Horse play 55lbs
10th Sho Nuf 54lbs 13oz
11th Play hard 54lbs 5oz
12th Top Dog 54lbs 2oz
13th Henry Vu 53lbs 5oz
14th Offshore Fabrications 53lbs 3oz
15th Kin lin 52lbs 10oz
16th Bruce Francis 52lbs 10oz
17th Fish Freaks 52lbs 10oz
18th Champ 52lbs 8oz
19th Ava Marie 52lbs 6oz
20th Scumline 50lbs 12oz
21st Dan The Mann 50lbs 5oz
22nd On the Rocks 48lbs 11oz
23rd Enforcer 48lbs 5oz
24th Gal-O-mine 46lbs 4oz
25th Jerry Harris 45lbs
26th Pappa John 45lbs
27th Don Jamie 44lb
28th Daniel mccoy 43lbs 14oz
29th Amazing Grace 41lbs 11oz
30th Wet Paint 41lbs

Junior Angler 
1st Fisher Zimmerman 57lbs 8oz
2nd Aaron Edwards 55lbs 10oz
3rd Anne King 55lbs 6oz
4th Gregory Lessard 54lbs 13oz
5th Matthew Breedlove 53lbs11oz

In reviewing the Technical Committee report I would guess that stripers will be listed as over fished with the breeding stock below threshold but we will have to see. The winter meeting for ASMFC is scheduled for Feb. 5-7 with the striper board meeting from 2:30-5:30 on the 6th. The board will be reviewing the final assessment of the stock and recommending any actions. They will also be looking at recommendations for opening up the EEZ by Block Island for striper fishing. If they recommend any changes then normally there will be a period for public input. This will be the most important time for giving input. 

If you want to hear what is actually said at the meeting you can sign up on Webinar through the ASMFC web page.

That tournament is a joke... people should boycott, but everyone wasnts to kill big fish to feel better about their egos, it’s a sickening thing that should be stopped.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, MichaelT said:

In reviewing the Technical Committee report I would guess that stripers will be listed as over fished with the breeding stock below threshold but we will have to see. The winter meeting for ASMFC is scheduled for Feb. 5-7 with the striper board meeting from 2:30-5:30 on the 6th. The board will be reviewing the final assessment of the stock and recommending any actions. They will also be looking at recommendations for opening up the EEZ by Block Island for striper fishing. If they recommend any changes then normally there will be a period for public input. This will be the most important time for giving input. 

If you want to hear what is actually said at the meeting you can sign up on Webinar through the ASMFC web page.

I hope people realize how important the decisions that are going to be made this year are......... this is make or break time

9 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

That tournament is a joke... people should boycott, but everyone wasnts to kill big fish to feel better about their egos, it’s a sickening thing that should be stopped.

My proudest moment with these fish....is when I get to say, sorry didn’t get a picture, had to help her swim.  Either way 60 pounder is a dream. 

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

Another moratorium on striped bass fishing is coming soon. Bet on it.

Highly unlikely.  The numbers are nowhere near to those that triggered it originally.  Not saying it isn't a bad idea, just saying it won't happen as a result of this stock survey.

14 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I'm wary of any stock reports put out by the gubmint !:wag: I just go by what I see.

The fact that the corruption is out there is a scary factor, it’s what can push species to the brink for sure.