Rkfool

Penn spinfisher v

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Rkfool said:

I’m going to go give it a look see again and see if I find anything. Appreciate your input

Take a look at the grease inside also, may have to add some. I've read a few comments on other sites about Penn not using enough on occasion. 

Send it back, SSV’s are great reels for the price, especially with the price reduction since the VI series came out. It shouldn’t do that out of the box after a few casts. You got it from Amazon right? New or “used like new”? I have fished 3 SSV’s (5500, 7500lc, 8500) for a few years, 2 seeing moderate use (hundreds of fish but few over 20 lbs) and no servicing, just a fresh water rinse after every trip and they’re fine. If they’ll honor their product send it back

On 12/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, mark d said:

the penn spin v was my go to reel for heavy surf fishing and some swimming (not always planned swimming) for 3 years. i have found it to be an excellent reel, especially for the price

if your knock comes when the spool shaft is fully extended or fully retracted it is probably the crosswind block coming to the end of its travel. this is normal if not excessive. adding heavy grease to the block should lessen/eliminate this issue if that is in fact the problem

in my experience with this reel  will leak about 1/2 a teaspoon of water per day of heavy surf fishing. i would simply open side plate and dump water. when grease became discolored i would give full service. this takes less then an hour once you get to know the reel

i found i could "waterproof" the reel by "sealing" the entry points with a grease called aquashield.  scooby has a video on this

tony in the penn forum is very helpful 

good luck 

Took it out for another spin this morning to get some final feedback before returning it. It gives 3 distinct knocks when to spoolsis at the very top, the top most 3 cranks each gets a knock

there are beeter reel guys here then me, but until one of them chimes in......i gotta go with crosswind block if the knock is coming at the top of the spool travel. if it was my reel i would add a heavy grease to that area and see what happens, but thats me. tony in the penn forum would certainly help you out if you are not comfortable in that area. there is a good tutorial on that reel in alan tani's site. good luck to ya