Rkfool

Penn spinfisher v

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So just bought this reel on sale from amazon, seemed a good deal for 90$.  Took it out for the first time today and was pleased except for it knocks pretty good when reeling under tension.  not an audible knock but more of a feel knock. Does this seem normal or have I got the runt of the litter?

12 hours ago, Rkfool said:

So just bought this reel on sale from amazon, seemed a good deal for 90$.  Took it out for the first time today and was pleased except for it knocks pretty good when reeling under tension.  not an audible knock but more of a feel knock. Does this seem normal or have I got the runt of the litter?

What size did you get? I've used the 3500 and 4500 over the past 4 years. Both started off smooth but had their issues at some point. 3500 began earlier, clicking issues and then tightness that greasing wouldn't fix. Had to send it in after 3 months and Penn ended up giving me a new reel instead of fixing the old one. That was 2016, not many issues since other than having to re-grease once or twice a year. Guide roller assembly went on me end of August this year though. 4500 was used in the surf so got wet a few times, but sent in due to same problem after a year. 

13 hours ago, Rkfool said:

you bought a klunker . . . I've had a couple of these reels and the "knock" while under tension has started within a few uses.  Send it back to Penn or return to Amazon for reimbursement (if thats possible).

the penn spin v was my go to reel for heavy surf fishing and some swimming (not always planned swimming) for 3 years. i have found it to be an excellent reel, especially for the price

if your knock comes when the spool shaft is fully extended or fully retracted it is probably the crosswind block coming to the end of its travel. this is normal if not excessive. adding heavy grease to the block should lessen/eliminate this issue if that is in fact the problem

in my experience with this reel  will leak about 1/2 a teaspoon of water per day of heavy surf fishing. i would simply open side plate and dump water. when grease became discolored i would give full service. this takes less then an hour once you get to know the reel

i found i could "waterproof" the reel by "sealing" the entry points with a grease called aquashield.  scooby has a video on this

tony in the penn forum is very helpful 

good luck 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:32 AM, FunkyBunker said:

What size did you get? I've used the 3500 and 4500 over the past 4 years. Both started off smooth but had their issues at some point. 3500 began earlier, clicking issues and then tightness that greasing wouldn't fix. Had to send it in after 3 months and Penn ended up giving me a new reel instead of fixing the old one. That was 2016, not many issues since other than having to re-grease once or twice a year. Guide roller assembly went on me end of August this year though. 4500 was used in the surf so got wet a few times, but sent in due to same problem after a year. 

I got the 3500, I prefer smaller reels for plugging. It reeled smooth out of the box albeit very tight. Was like my 5th cast or so I started to feel the knock

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll probably look into the amazon return/exchange policy and go from there.  The reel appears to function fine, the knock is just very annoying. I fish at night a lot and often reel super slow and that knock just messes with my rithym 

My 5500 has been since the 2nd or 3rd time I've used it. Was going to return it but seems a lot of reviews say they have same problem, so I just learned to live with it.

13 hours ago, Rkfool said:

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll probably look into the amazon return/exchange policy and go from there.  The reel appears to function fine, the knock is just very annoying. I fish at night a lot and often reel super slow and that knock just messes with my rithym 

no man send it in to penn. 

Make sure the side plate screws are tight. If they're not the damage may already be done and theres nothing you can do but a new gear and pinion set. If the plate screws are tight might be the shimming? But it's hard to know from just a description 

5 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

no man send it in to penn. 

I sent them a customer care thing from their website asking what the best course of action is in this situation. I would not want to have to pay for shipping to send it back to them since that would defeat the purpose of having purchased the reel while it was on sale. Do they normally make you pay shipping or provide you with a pre printed label?

1 hour ago, Big Will said:

Make sure the side plate screws are tight. If they're not the damage may already be done and theres nothing you can do but a new gear and pinion set. If the plate screws are tight might be the shimming? But it's hard to know from just a description 

It’s straight out of the box brand new. Is it typical for screws to be loose right out of the box? In hindsight I realize it would have been smart to check. Worst case scenario Ill just have to return/exchange it. Out of curiosity what damage would be done from having loose screws?

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, Rkfool said:

It’s straight out of the box brand new. Is it typical for screws to be loose right out of the box? In hindsight I realize it would have been smart to check. Worst case scenario Ill just have to return/exchange it. Out of curiosity what damage would be done from having loose screws?

Anything is possible. I've seen screws loose on reels before. Perhaps they weren't tightened properly or backed out. But what you describe sounds like the gear and pinion aren't making proper contact. I dont know what else it could possibly be in the reel except maybe the shaft is bent. Check that, real simple and could have happened in shipping or in the shop. Just watch as the spool goes up and down and if you feel the bump in the same spot that could be where its bent. 

Edited by Big Will