yozeph

Size of tsunami sand eel?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

1 min ago, yozeph said:

Vision sand eel vs. visions surf eel ?

recommendations ??

Never caught on the Surf Eel and I did try.  The Sand Eel was always the more productive of the two for me and the crew I fish with. 

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Here is a pic of the Hogy Eel.  About $5 a piece but they hold up as good or better than a 4 pack of the less effective Tsunami Eel.

20181202_173230.jpg.99f970a7af41cd498ad2239cc09b47ad.jpg

As usual, you are fishing with defective lures. The tail is missing! Surprised you didn't know that!

23 mins ago, fishless said:

Never caught on the Surf Eel and I did try.  The Sand Eel was always the more productive of the two for me and the crew I fish with. 

Agree with you on this one. Have several of the Surf Eels left and haven't had a touch with them. The Squirrel always did well with the Sand Eel, while I had a ball with the 1/2oz. WHITE bucktail.

As an aside, MC55s white swimmers have been fantastic in the present bite, both the brighter white and the bone white.

17 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Agree with you on this one. Have several of the Surf Eels left and haven't had a touch with them. The Squirrel always did well with the Sand Eel, while I had a ball with the 1/2oz. WHITE bucktail.

As an aside, MC55s white swimmers have been fantastic in the present bite, both the brighter white and the bone white.

I like how MC's eels look.  Ed White and I have had discussions about how to go about making something similar but I don't think being in a condo it would be neither responsible nor neighborly of me to take on that project.  So for now I will use the defective Hogy's and maybe in 7 years when the eels return I will have created some of my own Vision knockoffs. 

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

As usual, you are fishing with defective lures. The tail is missing! Surprised you didn't know that!

It may be defective to you..but that will have to do for us common folk that arent buddies with MC55. My nephew and I ran into him one morning over the summer and he gifted Jacob with one of his swimmers. I'm tempted to "borrow" it but cant risk a bluefish slashing it. Instead I stare at it every once in a while. Anyway...after Jacob was gifted the swimmer off MC went into the distance along the beach two rods...one in hand the other on back. Make no mistake..Im not a man of idols and have no role models so to speak..but I watched in awe as if I were in the presence of royalty. I told my nephew that man is a legend. True story!

No body use long slender plastic body with jighead anymore?  sluggo, hogy, got stryper, al gag, ronz tc?   Not as pretty as the fully molded ones like tsunami sandeels, but still get the job done.  I was doing pretty good with 5" and 7" got stryper body on 3/4-1oz jig head when they are in range. These and diamond jig pretty much sum up most of my fish after the sand eels came in.

24 mins ago, hobobob said:

No body use long slender plastic body with jighead anymore?  sluggo, hogy, got stryper, al gag, ronz tc?   Not as pretty as the fully molded ones like tsunami sandeels, but still get the job done.  I was doing pretty good with 5" and 7" got stryper body on 3/4-1oz jig head when they are in range. These and diamond jig pretty much sum up most of my fish after the sand eels came in.

I've come to believe that fish have spies in local B&T stores that pass info to them about what some of these older lures look like! That's why you have to constantly be using newer "fad of the day" lures. They only work until current intelligence is passed on to the schools! Some day we'll find the "fish mole" in our midst and 86 him!

1 hour ago, fishless said:

I like how MC's eels look.  Ed White and I have had discussions about how to go about making something similar but I don't think being in a condo it would be neither responsible nor neighborly of me to take on that project.  So for now I will use the defective Hogy's and maybe in 7 years when the eels return I will have created some of my own Vision knockoffs. 

Maybe we could just live line the Squirrel and see what happens!

1 min ago, nam1969 said:

Maybe we could just live line the Squirrel and see what happens!

If the big bait big fish theory is true we don't stand a chance. 

9 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I've come to believe that fish have spies in local B&T stores that pass info to them about what some of these older lures look like! That's why you have to constantly be using newer "fad of the day" lures. They only work until current intelligence is passed on to the schools! Some day we'll find the "fish mole" in our midst and 86 him!

Did you know dem fish also have a 5 day work week? They are only biting from Monday to Friday,  and are off during weekend and holidays.  :laugh:

3 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Black surf eel at night worked a few nights ago for me. Got 2 on it paired with white teaser

3 mins ago, jpiercy13 said:

Black surf eel at night worked a few nights ago for me. Got 2 on it paired with white teaser

I'm sure it will be good for a couple but not dozens times 10. 

All sizes work. The 6" is great in small estuaries, the 7" is the best all around, and the 8" and 9" work well in deeper water. My two biggest fish (one 40lb and one 30lb) this year came on the 8".

Tossed my Tsunami eel on Monday without a nibble. Switched over to my white Hogy and got 2 in a matter of minutes.