yozeph

Size of tsunami sand eel?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Seek out something different they suck.  In the face of all the catching this weekend @Blind Squirel decided, after catching about 40 fish in succession, to throw one on for the hell of it.  They wouldn't touch it.  He continued to fish it while I kept catching.  Finally he gives up and swaps it out and has a fish on the very next cast. 

5 hours ago, fishless said:

Seek out something different they suck.  In the face of all the catching this weekend @Blind Squirel decided, after catching about 40 fish in succession, to throw one on for the hell of it.  They wouldn't touch it.  He continued to fish it while I kept catching.  Finally he gives up and swaps it out and has a fish on the very next cast. 

I've been doing really well with them the past few weeks. many times I was one of the only ones on the beach catching

5 hours ago, fishless said:

Good to know. I was thinking about adding sand eels to my bag and Tsunami is always a good go-to brand but now I don't think will. Any recommendations ? I've read Vision Sand eel but I don't see that in any of the shops I frequent. What else is good?

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Good to know. I was thinking about adding sand eels to my bag and Tsunami is always a good go-to brand but now I don't think will. Any recommendations ? I've read Vision Sand eel but I don't see that in any of the shops I frequent. What else is good?

I've done well with the storm wild eye Sand eel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, fishless said:

All depends on the day... I had the complete opposite happen. I caught close to a dozen rats and one gem around 30 pounds on the 7inch sand eel two weeks ago. No one else around me could get a bite. All on a slow retrieve with small twitches mixed in.

Edited by cec127

12 hours ago, adams54 said:

Visions are great but the problem is they stopped making em about 5 yrs ago so you had to grab em when you found em.  My buddy was tossing the Vision and Storm and doing really well on Fri until he put the Tsunami on and his action stopped abruptly.  He went back to the Storm and the action resumed.  I had a hard time believing it but witnessed it.  Of 133 bass caught over 2 days none would touch that thing.  On Sat we stopped off at a shop during a break and grabbed a 7 inch weighted Hogy Sand Eel, 1.25 oz and it did as well as the Vision and Storm and held up better than both.  While most of the beach were picking a fish here or there the Hogy was working effectively. 

15 mins ago, fishless said:

Here is a pic of the Hogy Eel.  About $5 a piece but they hold up as good or better than a 4 pack of the less effective Tsunami Eel.

20181202_173230.jpg.99f970a7af41cd498ad2239cc09b47ad.jpg

Thanks for the good info. Hard to imagine that Tsunami not working in such a bite but I will definitely take your word for it. A lot of people have said they work and Im sure in certain situations they do...but its hard to have confidence in a lure when you hear a story like that. And imo in this game confidence in what you're throwing is half the battle. 

5 mins ago, adams54 said:

Thanks for the good info. Hard to imagine that Tsunami not working in such a bite but I will definitely take your word for it. A lot of people have said they work and Im sure in certain situations they do...but its hard to have confidence in a lure when you hear a story like that. And imo in this game confidence in what you're throwing is half the battle. 

I will also add that the last time we had an eel bit of this size was 2011.  The Vision eels were flying off the shelves due to word of mouth about how effective they were.  When they became difficult to find I switched to Tsunamis eels.  I can say that they did catch fish but its was at an extremely lower catch rate.