Mr. Bigdeal

Looks like an 80 in Va.....

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, Pad_Crasher said:

I understand everyone else's point too. If we all collectively did not keep any fish, it can only help - but that is really only a band aid and if we've gotten to the point where we're scared to death of one 50 lber seeing the dock then we're in an actual crisis. Something stinks around surf fishing and I don't know what it is, but lack of big stripers, no blues, typical throwback fluke numbers...what is going on???

I'm not against not being allowed to keep fish. Keeping fish is an inherent part of fishing. I just don't  like seeing the big girls, who produce millions and millions of eggs per year being killed. A smaller keeper fish produces significantly less amount of eggs. I don't have the specific numbers for that point, and maybe someone else on here does, but killing the most important part of the reproducing population is a recipe for disaster. 

46 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

All in all I think this is worthy of discussion and we have enough smart guys on here to have a good debate. 

And if you started a thread about it rather than bashing some guy hundreds of miles away for killing a fish that you know nothing about, you'd find that we're all on the same page.  

34 mins ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Something stinks around surf fishing

Yup.  People.  Ever wonder why many of the good fishermen don't share information or post pictures of good sized fish they caught?  Let this thread serve as a shining example.  

I get a 50 I'm definitely mounting her

She might be a little sore when I release her but she'll still be swimming

On 12/5/2018 at 9:49 AM, Pad_Crasher said:

It's a legal fish and it's within his right to keep it. Nothing to see here.

Sometimes you need to be a little bit better than the law. The legality issue comes up, it’s nothing more than an excuse to be a fish hog. 

And no, it’s not within his rights. There are no rights at all involved here. It’s a privilege in order to be involved with a public resource and this is a privilege that we will all lose because of the greedy among us. 

6 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Sometimes you need to be a little bit better than the law. The legality issue comes up, it’s nothing more than an excuse to be a fish hog. 

And no, it’s not within his rights. There are no rights at all involved here. It’s a privilege in order to be involved with a public resource and this is a privilege that we will all lose because of the greedy among us. 

He was allowed to keep it, he did. I have no idea who the guy is. For all I know he gets to fish once a year and this was his trip and landed a fish that he'll never forget, and get to enjoy at the dinner table. I don't even think I would keep it but ya'll have to relax!

2 mins ago, Pad_Crasher said:

ya'll have to relax!

Most everyone here seems pretty level headed, just having a discussion.  Not sure why you want the conversation ended so quickly.  The comment you quoted is pretty level headed and logical, not attacking anyone or really saying anything negative.  Maybe you need to relax lol

Haven't seen anyone personally attacking the guy at all now that I think of it.  If saying "I wish he let it go" seems like an attack to you, you probably have thin skin 

Maybe this type of common sense "management" thinking is just part of the gradual movement to a more sustainable way of thinking. Stands to reason many factors are at play in the total bass stock decline. But as the prevalent perseption changes, fisherman's impact on the fishery evolve. Maybe increased activism follows...and commercial harvest can then be adjusted to better suit the management model. Hopefully.

5 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Most everyone here seems pretty level headed, just having a discussion.  Not sure why you want the conversation ended so quickly.  The comment you quoted is pretty level headed and logical, not attacking anyone or really saying anything negative.  Maybe you need to relax lol

Haven't seen anyone personally attacking the guy at all now that I think of it.  If saying "I wish he let it go" seems like an attack to you, you probably have thin skin 

Yeah I'm sorry. The guy shouldn't keep the fish. I don't keep them so I don't know why I'm defending the guy. I'll exit.

4 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

He was allowed to keep it, he did. I have no idea who the guy is. For all I know he gets to fish once a year and this was his trip and landed a fish that he'll never forget, and get to enjoy at the dinner table. I don't even think I would keep it but ya'll have to relax!

You’re allowed to do a lot of things, doesn’t make them right...

All of the reasons that ypu stated for him keeping that fish make no sense in reality. That fish is more valuable returned to the water vs hanging on a wall or on a plate. 

The food aspect, how high are the levels of pcbs and other toxins in a fish that old? Yeah, makes for some great eating there. 

its a damn shame that we keep killing off these big fish because it’s ok by the law, the guy only kept one fish all year, he wanted to eat it, etc. in the end, they’re all poor excuses. 

Speaking from experience: Really big stripers just suck as far as eating relative to the smaller ones but.... if you can only catch one or two for the entire season, among your entire crew, well sorry but I 'll live with that and hope to god that next year we can hook into more smaller and tastier ones.  OH I can feel the haters now.  By the the way, for all you really hard right wingers of the don't even catch'em and certainly don't keep em' mentality, your're now relegated to tree hugger status.  Just my 2 cents of course. As a side note: I completely agree that the over 43 issue is a disgrace. One between 24 and 27 with one more between 27 and 38 is my thought. Again just my 2 cents as a fisherman, hunter, farmer and part time caretaker of this friggin place. 

11 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

And if you started a thread about it rather than bashing some guy hundreds of miles away for killing a fish that you know nothing about, you'd find that we're all on the same page.  

Since it was hundreds of miles away, which by your measure disqualifies it from relevance, why do you care so much? That mentality is one reason why the regulatory management of this migratory resource is flawed. Fish don't see state borders.

And if we're all on the same page than why are people getting so butt hurt? It's abundantly clear that people are not on the same page. Some want to preserve the fishery for the betterment of everyone, and others want to defend their "right" to kill a valuable resource for a few meals, bragging rights or their delicate fishing egos. 

12 hours ago, The Riddler said:

The man got a legal fish....he is within his rights to keep it.

as previously stated - NOPE

No 'rights' involved here.