Mr. Bigdeal

Looks like an 80 in Va.....

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

21 mins ago, Drew C. said:

You couldn’t be more wrong. Rec anglers kill the majority of the bass in any given year. 

Thats not an opinion, it’s a fact. 

Maybe last year, maybe next year, likely not this year. I wonder if they know where the line is and are just learning that it's safer outside it.

26 mins ago, OSHnjoe said:

Maybe last year, maybe next year, likely not this year. I wonder if they know where the line is and are just learning that it's safer outside it.

Ahh, the bass are becoming edumacated!

People need to stop making excuses just to keep big fish. Recreational fisherman shouldn't blame it on the commercials and commercials shouldn't blame it on the recreational fishermen. Take a look in the mirror. Its BOTH industries destroying the stock of these fish. If anyone actually cared about the future of the fishery big breeders would be released to spawn. Its a fact that they produce a disproportionate amount of eggs per fish compared to the population. If you don't think another collapse is coming then good for you, but I'd like to see what you say in the next 5-10 years. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

It's a legal fish and it's within his right to keep it. Nothing to see here.

Sure, its legal but there is more to it.  Me, you, and every other guy on here can take 1 fish every day and in some cases more than one fish during the season.  So does that mean I should?  Where's that going to get us?  No need to answer.  I will tell you.  It's going to equate to reduced stocks which most agree to be the case nowadays.

The fish in my avatar was my largest Bass to date which I released.  I let her go hoping she would reproduce and make more baby stripers "we" can all catch.  I also let her go so hopefully someone else gets to experience the excitement and joy I did when I caught her.  The way things are going the chances of that happening again are becoming less and less.

The fact of the matter is, we have proven time and time again, we cannot police ourselves.  Here is an excerpt from the notes of my grad class which is finishing up this week.  The last bullet point says it all.

Capitalism and Government

• Capitalism does its job only too well

• Government is needed to step in and protect society (protect us from ourselves).

• Human beings have developed the abilities of reason and abstract thinking

• At the core of our brains is still the primeval desire consume everything we can

Let me clarify, I'm not saying that people should not be able to take a trophy but there really needs to be limitations on how many are taken.  From what I can see there are too many people out there who can give a **** about the next guy.  Its this mindset which is resulting in crap fishing.

Edited by jps1010

4 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

That mentality multiplied by 1,000s of fishermen up and down the striped bass migratory path, over the course of several years, is a major contributing factor to lower stock numbers. That's an undeniable fact.

I would have considered keeping that fis given certain circumstances. I don't go all that often or catch all that much. If that was his one and only trip of the year, do you really think it's fair to say he can't keep it? The responsibility really lays on the guys who fish every day to not harvest a fish like that many times a season

Edited by Pad_Crasher

I think that's a great question and worth debate. But I think that any individual fisherman who truly cares about the future of a fishery would recognize that a fish of that size is a valuable resource to the population, and would look beyond the few meals it might provide, the personal glory or bragging rights no matter how many times he or she fishes during a year. Personally, I don't keep any striped bass just because the ratio of keepers to shorts I catch is ridiculous, and I fish several times a week all Spring through Fall. I could see someone keeper smaller fish, but something that big? I just think its too much of a rarity for anyone to kill.

6 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

This whole "legal fish" argument people like to use is based on the assumption that our government is setting limits to effectively manage striped bass.  

@Pad_Crasher, do you believe our government is properly managing the fishery?  If your answer is anything other than a resounding "yes", then there is something very big to see here.  And it is a conversation very much worth having, not one you should try to squash.

Edited by Bluetaildragger

5 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

This whole "legal fish" argument people like to use is based on the assumption that our government is setting limits to effectively manage striped bass.  

@Pad_Crasher, do you believe our government is properly managing the fishery?  If your answer is anything other than a resounding "yes", then there is something very big to see here.  And it is a conversation very much worth having, not one you should try to squash.

I don't think it's fair to get mad at someone following the regs is all I am saying. Whether or not the regs are correct is another conversation. Someone who catches and keeps 100 keepers a year is a problem. Someone who keeps 1 nice bass is not. 

Every 20 incher that doesn't make it after the ava get's stuck in his gills is a potential dead 50.  Stop bothering the dinks.  

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Every 20 incher that doesn't make it after the ava get's stuck in his gills is a potential dead 50.  Stop bothering the dinks.  

And I’m a potential billionaire.  

I appreciate the humor but it’s a false equivalency.  

So is it wrong to keep a legal striped bass to eat?? Unreal, a fellow member catches a fish of a lifetime and the majority of the responses from other fellow members are trying to make him feel like crap because he kept the fish. Congrats on the fish bro and may you catch many more and keep what your entitled too!!