Mr. Bigdeal

Looks like an 80 in Va.....

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

He got hisself a citation

He who hommie? certainly not us. We have the Coasties, Staties and NJDEP all around us. the line is the line, period.  Maybe some year that will change but likely not in the foreseeable future.  The info I related to is from one or more of those agencies.  Good luck to all who take the time, effort and money to put a line in the water. 

1 hour ago, OSHnjoe said:

Pretty sure that most of the bigger stripers are safely beyond the NJ 3 mi. line this season thus saving them from surf rat torture and release. Just kidding on the torture issue but from the the info I have received from "in the know" folks, the big girls are mostly (and have been/will be) way off shore.  Sorry, that is just a fact.  Having moved our boat north just has not benefited us this year.

Agreed.  Commercial guys I've spoken with have said there are no lack of big bass offshore

2 hours ago, castnet said:

It's always hard to look at that B&T's postings this time of year. Everybody has to get one on the scale.

I just think a bunch of people took up a hobby they have no business being in.  

It was pretty obvious from the first picture things were seriously distorted - just look at the way the boat tapers inwards towards the back.

So either it was trick photography, or he's got the only octagonally shaped powerboat. 

Nice fish

to those who say he should not have kept it or of any rec fisherman should not keep a big bass.....you’re way off line.

commercial fishermen are the problem not the few bass recs get.

stop comms from netting and watch the stock rebound

1 hour ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Nice fish

to those who say he should not have kept it or of any rec fisherman should not keep a big bass.....you’re way off line.

There's a guy who posts here that told me on the DelMarVa forum that 2/3rds of the striped bass are taken by recreational fisherman...the other third by commercial. So what is the reality?

16 hours ago, makorider said:

Agreed.  Commercial guys I've spoken with have said there are no lack of big bass offshore

Yes, millions of cows out in the canyons!! Longliners are catching them by the thousands. 

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Nice fish

You couldn’t be more wrong. Rec anglers kill the majority of the bass in any given year. 

Thats not an opinion, it’s a fact. 

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Yes, millions of cows out in the canyons!! Longliners are catching them by the thousands. 

By offshore I meant beyond 3 miles.  In one case well beyond, but whatever

For those saying they are gross to eat...yes...asbolutely true. In june I caught a 38 lber that was gut hooked from a mojo. Bloody the moment we brought on boat. So we harvested. Meat is very thick and rather fishy. Even prepared with garlic, oil, breadcrumb, white wine, lemon, you can still taste that fishy taste. 29-32 have the sweet meat. Not saying you shouldnt release those either, but just an observation. Now I'm hungry.

59 mins ago, dixiekraut said:

There's a guy who posts here that told me on the DelMarVa forum that 2/3rds of the striped bass are taken by recreational fisherman...the other third by commercial. So what is the reality?

they get sucked up by Omega