ChumSlickJon

German Food

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

This does deserve it's own thread.  

I really like the stuff.  Sauerbraten might be my favorite thing of them all.  My grandmother told me of her dad making it, basically letting it sit for weeks to "cook" before it was ready.  I know nothing about it other than it tasted great.  

I used to like schneider's, but sadly it's burned down.  

Any of you ever been to a hofbrauhaus?  I went once while on a business trip.  Watching people get smacked in the ass with a paddle by the waitresses was a trip!!!!

Hot waitresses???

14 hours ago, george6308 said:

Those of us who live in the Fox Chase area of Philadelphia still have a very good German deli that has all the German foods.

Oh yeah, what's it called? Used to live on the west side of the blvd at Robbins. 

14 hours ago, FishnDucks said:

Landjager are tough but there's a place in northern NJ that does a pretty damn good job. You ever up this way?

We are in Montgomery County or Sullivan County PA.  But, I would make a trip for proper landjager.  We’ve tried it everywhere, even the Reading Market in Philly.  It all seems to be the same stuff.  Cooked and dry.  We used to get it from a place called Ernst Iilg’s.  It was soft.  I think it was cured and cold smoked.  Haven’t found anything comparable in years.

14 hours ago, msrief said:

Landjaegers at Illg's in Bucks County, Pa.    My favorite is Schinkenfleckerl.

They went out of business a few years ago.  Haven’t found anything on par since.

20 hours ago, splions said:

My grandmother and mother used to make sauerbraten with ginger snap gravy, purple cabbage, and kartoffel glace and then German chocolate cake for dessert.  Those meals were heavenly.

That's how we make it.  The most tedius thing is crushing the ginger snaps with a rolling pin.  :D  We marinade for 3-5 days.  I forget what exactly is in the marinade, but definitely red wine vinegar.  Sliced lemons and onions, too.  I haven't made it in a few years but will have to break it out soon.  

1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

We are in Montgomery County or Sullivan County PA.  But, I would make a trip for proper landjager.  We’ve tried it everywhere, even the Reading Market in Philly.  It all seems to be the same stuff.  Cooked and dry.  We used to get it from a place called Ernst Iilg’s.  It was soft.  I think it was cured and cold smoked.  Haven’t found anything comparable in years.

Soft is fresh and newly made. As they hang, they continue to dry until they become rock hard. My kids and I hang them for a few weeks before we eat them because we like them dry as hell!

17 mins ago, Mummichog said:

FishnDucks -  where do you get your landjager?

The Swiss Pork Store in Fairlawn NJ. If you're near West Milfor, the Alpine Deli on Ringwood Ave. 

4 mins ago, FishnDucks said:

The Swiss Pork Store in Fairlawn NJ. If you're near West Milfor, the Alpine Deli on Ringwood Ave. 

Interesting. I will have to stop over there next time I'm up at the office.

1 min ago, MitchellNJ said:

Interesting. I will have to stop over there next time I'm up at the office.

My error...It's not West Milford, but still Ringwood NJ for the Alpine Deli. I just googled it to make sure. Address is 1141 Greenwood Lake Turnpike, Ringwood, NJ.

1 min ago, FishnDucks said:

My error...It's not West Milford, but still Ringwood NJ for the Alpine Deli. I just googled it to make sure. Address is 1141 Greenwood Lake Turnpike, Ringwood, NJ.

The Swiss Pork Store is 5min from my office. Maybe less.

2 hours ago, Mummichog said:

I've got a book with a recipe.  It's dry cured and cold smoked.  A lot of work.  Have not tried it.  Think you age it in between slats of wood so it's squarish.

19 hours ago, JaseB said:

That is all, just quoting Ambition.  That's my favorite, but yes, there's a lot of good german dishes.  Lots.  You should try making your kraut next year.  You'll never go back to store bought.

I’m still trying to chew my way to the bottom of a jar of Bubbies. As soon as I opened it I was disappointed. 

22 hours ago, KurtGett said:

I made sauerbraten about 8 weeks ago

1B26B90A-375B-4E6F-BEC3-394665BA4F43.jpeg

F5E3A820-5F82-49BF-90AA-6E95488AC96D.jpeg

FF0020A4-E6C7-492E-83E1-411966F33336.jpeg

AFC797FF-9FD9-4D4E-B3CB-AF3E0552EA0A.jpeg

476F752B-3C31-461A-8D43-871AAAD45B81.jpeg

25B87491-016D-4F62-AB38-0DB884323611.jpeg

3FA2C57A-314B-4FFC-8692-2C03834FB86C.jpeg

C6386135-733D-47B1-9A0C-7CE9269023F6.jpeg

Looks awesome!   What is the potato side with gravy on it called?   Knödel?  Also what's in your marinade please?   I see white onions, bay leaves, carrots, red wine vinegar, looks like Juniper berries.  What type of meat?  Gravy please.   Thanks for sharing. Fly

Edited by flylikabird