German Food

Rate this topic

ChumSlickJon

This does deserve it's own thread.  

I really like the stuff.  Sauerbraten might be my favorite thing of them all.  My grandmother told me of her dad making it, basically letting it sit for weeks to "cook" before it was ready.  I know nothing about it other than it tasted great.  

I used to like schneider's, but sadly it's burned down.  

Any of you ever been to a hofbrauhaus?  I went once while on a business trip.  Watching people get smacked in the ass with a paddle by the waitresses was a trip!!!!

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

36 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

This does deserve it's own thread.  

I really like the stuff.  Sauerbraten might be my favorite thing of them all.  My grandmother told me of her dad making it, basically letting it sit for weeks to "cook" before it was ready.  I know nothing about it other than it tasted great.  

I used to like schneider's, but sadly it's burned down.  

Any of you ever been to a hofbrauhaus?  I went once while on a business trip.  Watching people get smacked in the ass with a paddle by the waitresses was a trip!!!!

Try Sauerbraten with vension, it's delicious

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Great timing for this thread !!

I have a sirloin roast marinating in the fridge for Sauerbraten right this moment

First time I've ever done it

Any tips?

Is 3 days marinating enough ? I put it in the marinade early Friday morning, been flipping it twice a day. Was going to cook it up for tonight but tomorrow or Wednesday would be fine too

I have been afraid of over-marinating it, but it sounds like that's not something to worry about

What should I do as side dishes ?

Was thinking dumplings and red cabbage and carrots but my few attempts at dumplings have been pretty lame.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Sauerbraten is my favorite German meal. Mom makes it for me every birthday. I think she only has it sit for 4-5 days. Better than at any oompah fest or legit German restaurant I’ve ever been to. 

9 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Try Sauerbraten with vension, it's delicious

Yep, gonna try that this year now 

16 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Still make sauerbraten with my Oma’s recipe.  I’m a first generation American. My other favorite is landjager, but nobody can make it right anymore.

When I lived in NJ, there was a German meat market that made the best landjager.  They were in Hamilton and then moved to Yardville.  Unfortunately they went out of business.  You used to be able to buy it at the Reading Terminal Market in Philly.

My grandmother and mother used to make sauerbraten with ginger snap gravy, purple cabbage, and kartoffel glace and then German chocolate cake for dessert.  Those meals were heavenly. :drool:

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

3 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I'm waiting for you guys to post recipes.  My freezer is overflowing and I have to make some stuff.  

wish i had a recipe, my friend did it upstate in the crock pot, was really good

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

56 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Any of you ever been to a hofbrauhaus? 

All of the local German places are gone, but the hofbrauhaus cook, or one of the cooks, works at Bahrs now.  Their German offerings are purported to be the same recipe as hofbrauhaus.  I wouldn't know, but I've had a couple things over at Bahrs that were very good.  Usually an Oktoberfest special, but I think he keeps it on the menu all winter.  If you are around.

Just now, Tom T said:

All of the local German places are gone, but the hofbrauhaus cook, or one of the cooks, works at Bahrs now.  Their German offerings are purported to be the same recipe as hofbrauhaus.  I wouldn't know, but I've had a couple things over at Bahrs that were very good.  Usually an Oktoberfest special, but I think he keeps it on the menu all winter.  If you are around.

Do they have hot waitresses smacking you with a paddle when you take a shot?  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....