8’ Honey Rod

Rate this topic

flies-n-plugs

So I picked up a nicely built old school rod at an estate sale.  The rod is 8’, honey colored, and has no markings whatsoever.  7 wire guides plus tip, cork tape, no seat.  Looks like butt diameter is .88, and can’t get an accurate tip diameter because of the tip top.  The first guide is like a 65.  My first thought was to strip the guides and rebuild with a modern layout, but I’m a little torn.  What would you do??

1E0315DF-E0EA-4438-A675-E721158B7A23.jpeg

5EB6E7C6-2FCF-4699-BFB6-74C23779679B.jpeg

E10BC0D0-95C9-453B-B248-766DFE5C5720.jpeg

It could be one of many different honey blanks...it looks very Lamiglas, but they made many that it could be. Many builders cut blanks from the top...or bottom...or both :eek:  

It looks like it has barely been used since it was wrapped - I'd use it :th:  The time and effort to strip and re-wrap it would be enormous...fish with it, see if you like it :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

The glass looks to light to be a Lamiglas Honey.   looks like a Fenwick or an Eagle Claw

but it cold be just the way the light hit it?  The oldest ones where a little lighter then the ones in the 70's  I call them dark honeys? 

Edited by ccb

Well, went down to the river and tossed an assortment of plugs....❤️!  It threw a 16A bomber well, a 2 oz pencil great, and totally launched a 2 3/8 SS littleneck!!!  It worked the pencil like a dream.  Heaviest I threw was a 3 oz savage eel, and it was maxed out there.  Wouldn’t say it totally punked out, but i wouldn’t really lay into a cast with 3.  This made my decision easy-stripping this baby down and building with a modern layout!  Love the action on this blank, and think that a modern layout will lighten it up a bit too.  

• 4 weeks later...