salt deficient

Mono still have any merit?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

These days @99% of the folks coming into my tackle shop get their reels filled with some type of braided line. Power Pro is by far the favorite choice. The spools of mono gather a lot of dust.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I still use it for surf chunking. If I decided to go LM bass fishing I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Im really considering switching back and putting it on my plugging rod for topwaters and swimmers. 

Edited by GoneCoastal

On 12/3/2018 at 7:48 AM, salt deficient said:

Both fresh and salt last month it's been snag city.

Wondering if mono might be a bit better in rocky spots.  Been getting some cuts above the leader.

Anybody still use it in certain conditions?

I use mono in all circumstances as leader material, especially in rocky areas. 

Rocks are braided line's worst nightmare. My suggestion if you go with braided line, use Sufix 832 and run about 10ft of very hard mono on top (Sufix Superior has excellent anti abrasive properties).

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 12/3/2018 at 6:58 PM, drumbum said:

Can't Imagine not having both at my disposal.

I agree.

When it comes to line, you can use mono without braid, but you really con not use braid without mono. JMHO

On 12/3/2018 at 3:26 AM, ghost said:

There are a lot of people down on OBX that will say mono is the only way to go for surf fishing. Down there I use it when fishing close by others but I still prefer braid.

This is very true for bait and wait or fishing in close quarters. It’s a pain in the ass when the one guy is using braid in this situation for no reason at all and tangles up everyone else’ lines. Braid has it applications, but when you see all of these weekend warrior types with 500 yards of braid on their reels to catch a 2lb speckled trout it gets annoying. 

Deep drops, jigging, plugging open areas where distance and sensitivity are needed, using live baits on a boat or non crowded areas, casting light baits, into wind.

Any type of fishing where there is a chance of tangling someone else’s line use mono.

Edited by quan808

I first tried braid over 20 years ago and didn't take to it very well. I had Too many wind knots with it and it was very upsetting to me to lose a spool or two of braid after I got the tangle of tangles.  Never had any problems at all with mono so I stuck with it and still use it frequently.  But, you hang out at a place like this and you read so many comments about how great braid is and how someone's fishing has improved because of it. So, you start thinking maybe it's not the braid;maybe it's me. Tried it again and again and again. Got the hang of it. Started liking it. Still don't like the price of it compared to mono but I can get alot of mileage from a spool of braid and even more mileage if I flip it. So now braid and I are on good terms.. I'm still a cheapskate so i look for sales on braid and will buy bulk spools of it if I can get it for a good price. Have even tried some of higher rated chinese braids. Can't say i've used the china stuff  enough to give a detailed review but it's really not bad. Its  Not as good as powerpro or some other premium braid but it's not bad at all. Kast King makes the cheaper China made braid I've been using and so far so good. It feels a bit softer than premium braid and also feels thicker for a given weight than the premium stuff. But a spool of Kast King has a much more tolerable price tag than a spool of power pro. I still use premium braid but theres certainly a place in my lineup for Kast King as well. Mono? I'll never stop using it. Particularly on,y old school stuff. Anything but mono on a Penn greenie or an original Daiwa Black Gold just doesn't seem right.

When diamond jigging/squidding  for bass,blues,( and hopefully one day big weakfish if they ever come back) mono is still my go to . This when spooled on an Abu 6500 - Jigmaster or Torium depending on conditions. I feel it gives the jig a "bounce" that you don't get with braid. Teamed up with an all glass or composite rod this lets you 1) hook a lot of fish 2) swing a lot of fish with no worries. Using braid for all other applications. 

5 mins ago, Auce said:

Some party boats (bluefish) will not allow braid on their boat. They all still use mono.

Untangling 5 braided lines is no fun for the deckhands!