salt deficient

Mono still have any merit?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Everything has its place. I love braid in a current with a subsurface swimmer, but find mono far superior when fishing a popper. Mono's elasticity adds much more action when popping thats just lost with braid.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use mono only and do very well with it,I am going to stay with it too.

I outfish many guys many times and they are using the top of the line gear[$500 rods/$800 reels and all their plugs are shiny].

I am solid with with mono so,it makes sense to me to keep on trucking.

I'll let them go fishless and watch my rod bend.

as most of you know,I only fish winch reels

HH

Edited by Roddy

12 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Both fresh and salt last month it's been snag city.

Wondering if mono might be a bit better in rocky spots.  Been getting some cuts above the leader.

Anybody still use it in certain conditions?

Yes.

1. Older reels don't always like braid. Not only spinning reels, which want a stiff line (think PowerPro).

2. Pound test for pound test, braid is more abrasion resistant. BUT thickness for thickness, mono may be preferable. F'rinstance, in hawaii, ulua anglers fish over very heavy, hard, abrasive bottom. Ulua may hug the bottom. You can cast 100 yards, but the fish will still have lots of deeper water close at hand into which to sound. If you're fishing 100 lb braid and get cut off at 150 yards, that's expensive.  60-80 lb mono is very much cheaper, and still good enough  

How long a leader are you fishing?  Might need a longer one. There is a place I fish with 25' of 60 lb mono as a leader. Hard, abrasive bottom.

3.  Cheaper when teaching novices. Take a few eight year olds fishing, you'll see what I mean.

4. Might be preferable in situations where visibility is an extreme problem. 

5.  Do you want to float a jig?  ...  there is a channel bend where I like to cast with a jig. It can hit bottom, I'll stream line (P-line CXXX 17 lb., though it's closer to 30 lbs in actual strength) for a bit. THEN, when the jig on the bottom, I'll engage the reel, and let the current's drag on the line float the jig slowly off the bottom. It can travel for a bit, that way, pork all a-flutter. 

4 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

If braid gets better distance then why are all the distance records set with mono? Mono is necessary when power casting heavy loads great distance and that’s why drum guys use it still  and catch giant drum with it

The Federations that keep tabs on distance all insist on mono.  

I only fish mono for the last 50+ yrs. That's it. Has tons of merit. Braid guys call me the rubber band man. I'd rather eat a can of worms than switch.

I have mono on two rods - a party boat tuna bait outfit and a freshwater ultralight outfit. I tuna fish a handful of times a year (if I'm lucky) and I can't remember the last time that I fished freshwater.

For my fishing, mono is long dead. Braid does everything better.

The biggest advantages of braid is its small diameter for its strength and, for some applications, its lack of stretch.  So I use it where that matters--casting for distance, jigging in deeper water, fresh water applications when I'll be casting around heavy vegetation, and deep-water bait fishing.

On the other hand, braid's lack of stretch can lead to pulled hooks, and it lacks any "shock-absorber" effect.  So, particularly for trolling offshore, and also for most boat casting applications, I prefer mono.  I also don't see any advantage to braid when chumming for sharks, and I like mono--folks will see me as a heretic here--for deep-water fluke fishing, where it seems to help with lightly-hooked fish.

It's all about finding the tool that best fits a particular job.

Even for my 8 year old, I use braid now. I’ll throw on some spiderwire stealth cuz it’s cheap and I don’t care if it doesn’t last long on a little kids combo. But I got so tired of my little guys snagging everything. Spoon, jig, bait rig, everything. With braid, I’m usually able to yank it free or even occasionally bend out the hooks. (I use small light hooks and crush barbs with my kids.)

mono is probably good good for the dead stick bait guys with their rods in a sand spike. It absorbs the initial take and then the stretch rebound self-sets the hook.

I still won’t use it to spool a reel. Too stretchy. Plus, you have to respool all the time just to make sure you don’t get brittle mono from rot or UV damage. (Probably not as big a deal for higher test line, but I’ve had this with stuff 17 & below. )

In fast rivers in shallow areas before the drop heavy mono works great. It allows you to keep the line up and sweep your lure( say a spinner) into areas and keep it there, you wouldn't be able to with braid. 

I primarily fish from sandy beaches and switched to braid as the mainline on all my reels some years ago for its castability and strength.  However, I still use mono as a leader because I prefer to handle it when landing a fish by hand.

I was an early adopter of braid, by the time I moved to MA in 1994, braid was my go to for any deepwater application, by the end of the 90s I completely stopped using mono.

I think the only time I've used it in the last 10 years was when I was carp fishing and wanted to pull fewer hooks.  The elasticity of mono is great for keeping fish on the hook, but all you really need is a long enough mono leader.

I think mono is great for leaders, that little extra stretch in it makes a difference in fish landed.

I still use mono  in freshwater but don't fish fresh that much anymore. I'd also use if  I was going to shore chunk for stripers with a lot of current(inlets). All braid otherwise.

I use mono on my Crack 300, Luxor 300, on spinners when working Pencil Poppers for invisible fish (proper method requires a slower recovery rod and stretch of mono), but stick with 30lb braid/60lb PP Hollow Ace spliced casting leader for Blitzes (you remember those in NJ, don't ya?).  On my chunking conventional reels I still use Suffix Siege mono with a 10#/ounce Shock Leader.