salt deficient

Mono still have any merit?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Both fresh and salt last month it's been snag city.

Wondering if mono might be a bit better in rocky spots.  Been getting some cuts above the leader.

Anybody still use it in certain conditions?

Don't know what type of fishing you're doing but no doubt mono still has its applications in various scenarios.

Scenario's excluded there are some new rods with smaller undersize braid only stripping guides that don't work well with casting mono.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I resisted using braided line for a long time thinking mono still the best all around line for surfcasting. I finally switched a few years ago and I've never looked back. I started using Berkley Original Fire Line in 14 and 20 pound test strengths. It is way more sensitive than mono and doesn't stretch much. And, I've had zero problems with it as compared to other braids I had tried. I use a very long mono or fluorocarbon leader of 4 to 5 feet depending on the rod length I am using. I never have abrasions above my leader as a result and I fish in some very rocky, reefy areas.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Very few IMO. 

I could see the argument for it in inlet/current situations in which you wanted to float a jig or bucktail over structure down current. But for what you gain in float you lose a ton in sensitivity. I think there are other ways to accomplish that. 

I have no mono rods left and haven't for years. Fresh or salt. 

There are a lot of people down on OBX that will say mono is the only way to go for surf fishing. Down there I use it when fishing close by others but I still prefer braid.

i Haven't chunked for stripers in a long time but the last times i did i preferred mono over braid.   where i fish, casting distance with a chunk isn't that important. everything else is braid and has been for almost 20 years. fresh and salt. 

I still use mono for surf on spinning reels. I always felt if it aint broke why fix it. Its cheap and I'm used to it. When I start to think I'm missing out on something with braid I hear someone complaining about breakoffs or knots, I stick with it. I am interested in Fireline but have never gotten a clear picture of the learning curve with it. Unlike the other superlines.

Posted (edited) · Report post

some guys still prefer mono for surf bucktailing, it allows you to float the bucktail and it stays in the "zone" longer

Edited by Sandflee

3 hours ago, hydraman said:

I still use mono on all my baitcasters. All my spinning rigs I use braid. 

Same here...picking a backlash out of braid negates whatever good qualities it might have. Also, mono is good for topwater as the stretch gives you a little delay when setting the hook.

I fish a lot of mono. It's better for trolling unless you are trying to get deep.

I prefer it for pitching live baits. Live baits tend to swim around in circles and the braid gets all knotted up. Especially if you have a balloon/float attached.

If you want distance, capacity, or you want to fish deep, use braid. 

The braid craze is just like anything else. People play follow the leader. Just because mono isn't popular doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.

If braid gets better distance then why are all the distance records set with mono? Mono is necessary when power casting heavy loads great distance and that’s why drum guys use it still  and catch giant drum with it