JohnP

Bahamas Bonefish

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, flysully said:

Are the flats on Great Exuma DIY or do you still need a permit, whether wading or in a boat without a guide, to fish them? 

I'm not up to date on the regulations there but I do know there was some negative discussion from regular annual fishermen fishing Great Exuma who learned they needed a guide to fish there, whether on the flats themselves from shore or in a private boat. At that time, I think it had a lot to do with the decrease of vacationing bonefishers returning to the island as well as those who purchased condos/timeshares right on the water who, no longer, were allowed to fish w/o a guide/permit. Are these regulations still in effect? 

Yes, you need to buy a fishing licence now for Exumas ,for all the islands in the Bahamas too, I think that you can buy this licence at the airport, +/- 30 $ for the month.

From shore you dont need a guide.

If you want to go on some flats with a private boat, the boat must be register in the Bahamas and you have to be alone on the boat to have access at the flats.

12 hours ago, piratkey said:

Yes, you need to buy a fishing licence now for Exumas ,for all the islands in the Bahamas too, I think that you can buy this licence at the airport, +/- 30 $ for the month.

If you want to go on some flats with a private boat, the boat must be register in the Bahamas and you have to be alone on the boat to have access at the flats.

Does that include paddle boards?

13 hours ago, piratkey said:

From everything that I’ve gathered the new government in The Bahamas has suspended all license requirements until such time as they figure out a reasonable solution. This after many of the lodges suffered huge reductions in bookings due to uncertainty about what fishermen were allowed to do and not do.

JC

9 hours ago, JonC said:

From everything that I’ve gathered the new government in The Bahamas has suspended all license requirements until such time as they figure out a reasonable solution. This after many of the lodges suffered huge reductions in bookings due to uncertainty about what fishermen were allowed to do and not do.

JC

This is could be a good news but after speaking 2 weeks ago with my  house renter in  Exumas, you still need a fishing licence.

On the other hand there will be well a change in the law, but this concern the fact of being more than 1 person per boat.

This is an excerpt from an article published by Midcurrent 11/14/17.

JC

The new Bahamian Prime Minister the Honorable Hubert Minnis, who is a physician, was elected in May 2017 in a general election that swept the old administration out of office and into the history books. Minnis is as intent on improving the Bahamas’ image with anglers as the new Minister of Tourism, the Honorable Dionisio D’Agular, who dispatched Pratt as his special representative to the BTT Symposium to allay fears and encourage engagement among stakeholders and tourists alike.

“Because of the confusion, there will be no enforcement of the past regulations until new legislation is drawn up,” assured Pratt. He informed his audience that a cabinet level committee is reviewing the January 2017 regulations, with a view towards achieving stakeholder equity, protection for the natural resources and a welcoming environment for traveling anglers. Pratt couldn’t promise when it would be finished or what exactly it would look like, but said that a commonsense regulatory update is an immediate priority of the new administration. He made a passionate plea for booking agents and angling customers to continue supporting the nation’s economy by planning fishing vacations to the islands this upcoming season.

1 hour ago, JonC said:

This is an excerpt from an article published by Midcurrent 11/14/17.

JC

The new Bahamian Prime Minister the Honorable Hubert Minnis, who is a physician, was elected in May 2017 in a general election that swept the old administration out of office and into the history books. Minnis is as intent on improving the Bahamas’ image with anglers as the new Minister of Tourism, the Honorable Dionisio D’Agular, who dispatched Pratt as his special representative to the BTT Symposium to allay fears and encourage engagement among stakeholders and tourists alike.

“Because of the confusion, there will be no enforcement of the past regulations until new legislation is drawn up,” assured Pratt. He informed his audience that a cabinet level committee is reviewing the January 2017 regulations, with a view towards achieving stakeholder equity, protection for the natural resources and a welcoming environment for traveling anglers. Pratt couldn’t promise when it would be finished or what exactly it would look like, but said that a commonsense regulatory update is an immediate priority of the new administration. He made a passionate plea for booking agents and angling customers to continue supporting the nation’s economy by planning fishing vacations to the islands this upcoming season.

This is a good news, thank you JonC.

After do some research on the web,I found this: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2018/apr/23/fishing-regulations-suspended-after-40-booking-fal/

On 12/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, flysully said:

I wouldn't target Great Exuma just to fish the "Airport flats", which are overfished, anyway, just my opinion.

To each his own. Buddy and I had a fantastic DIY trip there last Feb, but maybe we were just lucky.  Rental on the water with kayaks, miles of firm, bare feet friendly flats (big plus), tons of fish (plenty average to plus size), few others (no guides).  Yes, lots of lemons, but you just need to figure out when and were the bones go to get away from them, and how and what to present to them.   That took a couple of days but my buddy and I had them zero'd in and had an epic week of fishing.   I'm psyched to go back.