Epoxy ramps

Rate this topic

Rydemos

I’m new to rod building and almost finished with my first rebuild of an old 8ft surf rod. Looking for some pointers on how to make some epoxy ramps where heat shrink tubing meets rod grip ends and where the butt cap meet. I did not want to use winding checks. I have some pics of the specific areas attached. I’m up to taking any criticism anyone has to offer, thank you 

E13103BF-8728-42A1-BF13-8909DE309C1E.jpeg

5854C72D-FA9D-4B00-BE47-CED605028F72.jpeg

2E2389E5-A35D-4E0A-9E3E-5FE88DCA8D78.jpeg

D16440B7-8A0A-4A34-80BA-C7078902B9AF.jpeg

For the reel seat and butt...First I take epoxy paste with black pigment make the shape of the ramp. I would suggest using tape or news paper on the handle so doesn't get everywhere. After it dries completely I will use thread epoxy with black pigment to give it a clean look. The start of the for grip when the thread is I would just use thread epoxy.

Edited by cec127

11 hours ago, Rydemos said:

Thank you cec127, I might try that 

No problem... the butt you might be better off just using thread epoxy or leave as is. Here is a reel seat ramp I finished last week.

Edited by cec127

Paste epoxy will also get the job done- keep in mind that if there are any voids under/behind the shrink tube an air bubble will rear its ugly head and make a second application almost mandatory.  IMO dying the epoxy is not necessary if you plan to cover it with thread.  I suggest locking all the open parts of the shrink tube with thread prior then using several coats of finish.  Practice on a scrap blank- do overs suck! 

I take 5 minute epoxy, add a few drops of alcohol to the mix so its more like thick motor oil. I then use thread to make half my ramp, slap on some of the epoxy mix then finish the ramp with the rest of the mix. Put it on the dryer for a little bit. Now I have a nice smooth ramp to put a solid layer of thread and thread epoxy on.

Just remember to make the first ramp small so the second layer will have room.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mike, all - Talk to me about masking tape the edges of the finish for a clean edge. I am building my first rod in many years and have seen a few videos where guys use tape for a crisp edge to their finish. In the distant past I never did and the edges were OK but not sharp. This rod will be straight black thread on gloss black blank so the thread epoxy edge will be noticeable. 

Key question, when do you remove the masking tape wrap? I am using ProKote. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

29 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

i use electrical tape cause it stretches and i does use finish but the flex coat 30 min epoxy 

Thanks. ProKote is a medium build epoxy as it is described. My understanding is that ProKote is thinner than FlexCoat and has a longer pot life. 

So how long do you wait before removing the tape? It will be different if there is a different set time so how long by feel? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson