RJ

2019 Flyfishing Shows

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Most of us who go to the Flyfishing shows get a email reminder in December.

In New England the Marlborough, MA Fly Fishing Show will begin on  Friday 1/18/2019 and end on 1/20/2019

The NJ Fly Fishing show will be in Edison, NJ at the NJ Convention  Center. on Friday 1/25/2018 and end on 1/27/20

There are 7 -  2018 Fly Fishing Shows.  Goggle the nearest to your for dates and Hotel or Motel Reservations that are recommend by FFF 2019.  

get connected so in late december ou can get the Schedulers for all events and Seminars and lists of Fly tiers, and vendor companies that will be on display.

A one day pass in NJ will cost $18.00   a 3 day pass will cost $38.00.

Marlboro is slighter cheaper.  Marlborough is half the size of Edison.  

I recommend you go to the Friday show. It is less crowded, and all the vendors and looking forward to meeting you.  Saturdays are full and Sunday  is  slightly less crowded than Saturday.

I'm planning to be at Edison for all 3 days

Edited by RJ

I usually do the Marlboro show and always go on Friday and that is my plan for this year, I know I also be doing the Bearsden show as well in February, I think Scott does a great job and always has a headline speaker but I don’t know who it will be yet. 

I like the fact that the show is free. I was approached by Scott to set up a booth to do some tying of my Betsy. I am hoping that by then I will healed well enough to do a long term day. 

7 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

I usually do the Marlboro show and always go on Friday and that is my plan for this year, I know I also be doing the Bearsden show as well in February, I think Scott does a great job and always has a headline speaker but I don’t know who it will be yet. 

I like the fact that the show is free. I was approached by Scott to set up a booth to do some tying of my Betsy. I am hoping that by then I will healed well enough to do a long term day. 

The first place I visit in Edison is Scotts set up on the floor of the NJ Show. Johnny King is one of the NY Area tier's at his display area.

Scotts gear is always top shelf.

Marlborough is way out of my reach as I live in Southeast PA, so it'll be Edison and Lancaster for me only. Which is fine. The big thing for me at the shows is fly tying material and checking out new products. I talk to people if I can and welcome the chance but I'm not hugely disappointed if I don't get the chance to meet people.

I went to the Edison show last year on Friday. I've attended this show in Somerset many times over the last 25 years but never on a Friday.

I have to say is was great without the crowds. I'm planning on going on Friday this year. 

It looks like I will make Marlborough, but not Edison.  I like to take Friday off and talk to a lot of the fly tiers.  I learn more in that one day then I do the rest of the year from a fly tying perspective.  I don't usually buy a lot of stuff other than if I find certain materials of a particular quality I get tempted in particularly on bucktails.

I'll be at the Edison show on Saturday.  I'll be tying at my salt water fly fishing club's table.   Usually do a walk around the show to see what new materials might be available.  

16 hours ago, RJ said:

Most of us who go to the Flyfishing shows get a email reminder in December.

In New England the Marlborough, MA Fly Fishing Show will begin on  Friday 1/18/2019 and end on 1/20/2019

The NJ Fly Fishing show will be in Edison, NJ at the NJ Convention  Center. on Friday 1/25/2018 and end on 1/27/20

There are 7 -  2018 Fly Fishing Shows.  Goggle the nearest to your for dates and Hotel or Motel Reservations that are recommend by FFF 2019.  

get connected so in late december ou can get the Schedulers for all events and Seminars and lists of Fly tiers, and vendor companies that will be on display.

A one day pass in NJ will cost $18.00   a 3 day pass will cost $38.00.

Marlboro is slighter cheaper.  Marlborough is half the size of Edison.  

I recommend you go to the Friday show. It is less crowded, and all the vendors and looking forward to meeting you.  Saturdays are full and Sunday  is  slightly less crowded than Saturday.

I'm planning to be at Edison for all 3 days

Yes I’m going to Edison Friday and Saturday

I booked a room before the price increases 

i like the movie night

now that I’m doing a bit more fresh/trout  I’ll be spending more time on gear and lodges for that. 

Just hoping we don’t  get a major snow 

Edited by JohnP

I'm presenting all three days at Marlborough. I don't have my Edison schedule yet. As always, love putting faces to names so please come say hello. :-)

Steve Culton

21 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Marlborough is way out of my reach as I live in Southeast PA, so it'll be Edison and Lancaster for me only. Which is fine. The big thing for me at the shows is fly tying material and checking out new products. I talk to people if I can and welcome the chance but I'm not hugely disappointed if I don't get the chance to meet people.

Have you been to the Lancaster show?  I meant to go last year but something came up.  Just curious how it was. I'll probably go anyway since it's less than a half hour from me.  

3 mins ago, PSUFly said:

Have you been to the Lancaster show?  I meant to go last year but something came up.  Just curious how it was. I'll probably go anyway since it's less than a half hour from me.  

I have! I like it a lot, it's easier to see and talk with everyone than at the Edison show since it's so much smaller. I'll be going there too. 

Peter Laurelli the author of fly fishing videos' is now on UTube.  His latest can be found by requesting "Surf & Inshore Fly Fishing SIFF18   "Four Years For Life."  His drone shots of Bait Balls of Silversides, Peanut Bunker and the brownish Bay Anchovies being hammered by huge False Albacore are absolutely fantastic.  His cruising along beaches and recording how close big and small striped bass and other species are.

He is a genius with his cameras, music and the editing is out standing.

It's 44 minutes long and the UTube version has no glitches in the entire production.  Peter and I bump in to each other annually at the NJ Show.  Usually at the casting pool.  Edison has two large casting pools. Paddle board fishing surrounded by  30 pound Striped Bass and then being towed by one of them is amazing.

Hi RJ - thanks for the kind words. I've enjoyed seeing you at the shows, too, and looking forward to being at the Edison show on Friday. 

Last year I bought 5 sandeel flies from Bill Murphy (got the sixth for free :)), and one of them accounted for the biggest bass of my life, 46in in 3ft of water...ahhh, memories. 

I went to Edison looking for a sandeel pattern that could work for a specific area at a specific time of year, and Bill's were perfect. I've been tying one a night (almost) for the last two weeks, day dreaming of spring. 

That's why I enjoy the shows, seeing friendly faces, and picking the minds of great tyers. And I should mention my brother-in-law is the co-owner of Tom Morgan Rod smith's, based in Bozeman. He'll be at the show for a second year. I'll be hanging out with him quite a bit Friday.