Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

4K Spinning Reel

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t do a lot of spin fishing  but I do have a very nice 7 ft one piece medium moderate rod that I did some plugging with in the early spring years ago and it was matched with a Penn 4400SS spinning reel that no longer functions and needs to be replaced. My question is this 4400SS what would be considered a 4K reel. 

Edited by bonefishdick

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can pick up a new Penn Slammer 360 for about 70 bucks. There is an Australian company that has them all the time on eBay. 

Maybe a bit dated to some, but a good, solid reel at a great price, that would be an upgrade from your original Penn.

The 360 holds 20 yards more of 10lb mono than your reel, and weighs just under an ounce more, 9/10 more to be exact. Good matchup, and it will likely cost you less than any other premium reel on the market.

Edited by Otony

On 12/4/2018 at 9:40 AM, blacklabnh said:

yes - the new Penn Spinfisher VI would be nice to replace it with. Do you miss Maine? 

Thanks for the relpyi, I will most likely get My annual Bass Pro gift card and this year it will be easy to use.

i was born in Skowhegan and moved from there when I was a baby due to adoption and did not find out until my late teens. Life then seemed to get in the way with the Vietnam War and marriage and children and never got back there until my late forties. I never expected to Skohegan to have so much water in the whole area. While there I was able to find the town hall to get an original birth certificate from impounded records since it was past the statute of limitations, I was able to also find the original hospital I was born in, it was very small and is now a nursing home.

Sorry I digress, I do visit Maine at least once or twice year and have had some great vacations there.

BFD

a Penn SSV 4500 will be a great replacement , balance well with that rod and handle lots of fish for you......

I'd take a hard look at the Daiwa Ballistic in either 3000 or 4000 (probably the 3000 for the rod you described.  Daiwa's 3000 reels are more comparable to Shimano's 4000's.)  Scooby Doo had a thread on these reels a while back, and he was pretty impressed with them.  I've fished mine pretty hard down here in NC for redfish, and while I wouldn't characterize them as "Kalashnikov tough" for hard core surf conditions, they are sealed. Jury's still out on how that Daiwa "Mag Seal" will hold up over time, but mine have held up very well over two years with silky smooth retrieves and superb drags.  Super light weight.  Comparable to the Shimano CI4+ which I think they were designed and priced to compete against.  I prefer the Ballistic over the CI4+, but that could be just because I chose the Ballistic, and our own judgments are always correct, right?:)