IFish4Free

NorCal Bay Area

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I’m new to the Bay Area and surf fishing.  Came from Stockton where I usually fish 8 mile or Highway 12 for Stripers.  What are some spots around here you guys can recommend for a newbie like myself.  Any ‘fish on’ spots would be appreciated.

thank you

Where are you in the Bay Area?   Lots  of territory there.

At one time I lived in Fairfield and fished all over the area for Stripers.

San Pablo Bay area below, boat fishing.

8D2j0b0.jpg

J7fsitA.jpg

Old photo from the 1970's below:

e8CUV2b.jpg

Surf spots, I know of a few but If I burned them Winch would use me for shark bait.

On 12/2/2018 at 0:49 PM, Silverado said:

Where are you in the Bay Area?   Lots  of territory there.

At one time I lived in Fairfield and fished all over the area for Stripers.

San Pablo Bay area below, boat fishing.

8D2j0b0.jpg

J7fsitA.jpg

Old photo from the 1970's below:

e8CUV2b.jpg

Surf spots, I know of a few but If I burned them Winch would use me for shark bait.

Hahaht it’s all good. I live in San Jose.  Was recommended Baker Beach for stripers. Oyster Point pier as well

I am in and out of here frequently and don't want to see anyone get in trouble but the main rule of these forums is what is referred to as Spot Burning(" a lot of anglers read these forums and will follow directions to the spots recommended and the next thing you know is your fishing spot has been taken")! I know everyone would like to recommend a good fishing spot but here it is outlawed. What you can do is PM or email and work it out this way between yourselves but saying where a spot is over the forum will draw the attention of the administrators :) I now live in the southwest but I was from Tracy. Just letting you guys know just in case you missed the rules when you first log into the forums :)

No spots burned in my posts, after all the photos were taken in the 1970's.

And note my comment about being hung by Winch.

Fishing for Stripers around the Bay Area was fantastic in the 1970's but not so today.  Hence everyone's aversion to spot burning.

If you want to catch fish, do as I did when I lived there:    Fish a lot of areas, try a lot of different baits & lures.   After a few years you will have it "dialed in".  You can find good fishing areas by using nautical charts:   Look for areas that hold bait on the various tides and currents.

Everything was better in the 1970s,I will a say this ,Bev caught a 52# Striper 8 years ago where ships no longer stay.1970s chit ya,....butt as Eddie Money told me "You can Never go Back",butt I got pictures to take me back when!....

17 hours ago, boscoebrea said:

Everything was better in the 1970s,I will a say this ,Bev caught a 52# Striper 8 years ago where ships no longer stay.1970s chit ya,....butt as Eddie Money told me "You can Never go Back",butt I got pictures to take me back when!....

Ha!  I know that area.   Fished it in the 70's.    Pick the right current and drift a live bullhead among the shadows.  

This one was fun.   Penn No.9  Reel, 7 foot Eagle Claw rod.  Live bullhead.  20 lb. Mono.  The reel was one my Dad had way back in the 1950's.    Still have it!

ACjyTRO.jpg

it is the time of year for bullheads and mudsuckers,though up the river we catch splitails,shiners and shad and use them.Crazy how small a striper can be yet still hit hard on those baits.

Somestimes we use the known Striper lures in the shallows..btw I am a catch and release guy and when I do keep one I like between say 24" to 32" another thing is they SEEM to school up with like size buddies ,kind of like we did in school,LOL.

Slow trolling Rebels and Bombers worked well in the delta when the fish were moving through.

Blood worms in the Sacramento River in the Winter.    Fished them on the bottom with an egg sinker.   From the bank.    We called them blood worms, they were from Maine and flown in to SFO.    Bought them in a big flat cardboard box full of wet seaweed.    Folks back East call them something else I think.    Really bloody when the hook was pushed through and they had a pair of pinchers that really hurt if they caught your finger!!!  

The funny thing to me is I was using cheap rods/reels back then.    Penn No. 9 reel and Eagle Claw rods.     Reel was free and the rod cost maybe $20.   Cheap mono line bought on 1/4 pound spools.    Caught a lot of fish.  Compare that to the rigs guys use today!    Heck my first car cost less than today's composite rod and high end reel.

Penns, I love them.

eNghxZ3.jpg?1

Oh yea Blood worms used them years ago,also Pile worms,butt they all got too expensive so now mostly use anchovies ...From our dock we use worms to catch shad then use the shad for the stripers.

Well back "in the days"any setup would get you fish,butt now-a-days with much fewer fish we gots time to admire our fishing gear more,LOL.