ThuanTran

20lbs drag on Shimano Sustain FG 5000

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I use a Sustain FG 5000 for my sturgeon fishing, never caught one yet but each time I bring it out I was always told it’s not sufficient since it’s so small.  I spooled it with 30lbs Power Pro.  Has anybody had any experience using this reel for sturgeon?  My other reel is a Stradic FB 4000 CI4.  I pair these rods with the Shimano Trevala

Thank you for inputs/insights 

You should listen to your friends,butt hey that reel can catch you a legal size,I use your setup for stripers not sturgeon.I caught a 60# sturgeon and it put a strain on my middle wt. outfit,why use a spinning reel for sturgeon,is that all you got?It can work,but if you got into a large sturgeon you may wish you had listened,just saying,good luck .

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you are fishing somewhere around the  bay area, I would not worry too much about a 100 pounder although a long time ago I saw a 420 pounder from the Sacramento River near Rio Vista.

Most guys up around the Columbia use something like a Penn GTI 330 or so, full of 60 or 80 pound braid.  With a mono leader about 80 to 100 pounds, 6 or so feet long.

Edited by Silverado

However, I would not hesitate to use my 6500 Penn V with 40 pound braid in your area.

I like conventionals for big bottom fish as they are a lot easier to feed bait when a bite is detected and for me they are easier to handle a big fish with beside the boat.  

Are you boat fishing or shore fishing?    

If you have done enough sturgeon fishing, you surely have caught enough bat rays to test your gear out.   That's generally the rule, if your gear can handle large bat rays, it should work for sturgeon.

FWIW,  I seized up the gears on my Penn 6500SSM while fighting a decently sized bat ray I've caught the last time, same reel I've been using for the past 10 years.  I wouldn't use anything smaller for sturgeon.

4 hours ago, regulate said:

If you have done enough sturgeon fishing, you surely have caught enough bat rays to test your gear out.   That's generally the rule, if your gear can handle large bat rays, it should work for sturgeon.

FWIW,  I seized up the gears on my Penn 6500SSM while fighting a decently sized bat ray I've caught the last time, same reel I've been using for the past 10 years.  I wouldn't use anything smaller for sturgeon.

Agree.

The OP needs to come back so we can continue this discussion.

The other issue is getting spooled. I have 80lb maxcuatro on a 6500ssv with a long 80-100 mono leader. The braid is  really small for it’s rating, but sometimes i think i would be better off with a 7000 or 8000. Casting from the bank with a 12’ rod you can just see miles of line peeling off the spool. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where is Thuan?     Would be nice to know if he is in a boat on on the shore.

Spinning:     

Fin Nor Lethal 100, I have two of them. Penn 700 Greenie in the  middle.

400 yards of 80 braid.   45 pounds of drag.    Should handle any sturgeon out there.

Takes a beast of a rod, I have a couple of Rainshadow 1569 blanks that I will wrap for the Lethals.   Will be a nice 8 & Bait outfit.

Foz1s3t.jpg?1

Edited by Silverado