ksong

Mike Basnite's casting of 12' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II Heavy

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

Very cute. She looks sooo proud!!!

Thanks guys she is something special wants to do it all by herself ya know . You should see when she picks up the fly rod

Posted (edited) · Report post

As far as these rods go I am definitely interested in casting one. I’m sure these were made to compete with the CTS s7  and the CCP. I’ve talked to another guy who has one of these and he says it is very good and very capable of distance mentioned. It doesn’t surprise me you will get backlash from NC drum guys as they like to sell there stuff on here too .

Edited by Jim McFeeley

An open letter to anyone who has posted here:

I am sorry if I was misunderstood, but in virtually every single post I made, there were assurances that I had no desire to offend anyone. I also wrote that I was sorry to even point out that ksong posted in a manner that was not clear to me. Unfortunately, without a tone of voice, things are easily misconstrued. 

However, I NEVER lashed out at anyone, nor have I denigrated anyone. I am obviously guilty of not being sensitive enough when I pointed out that I didn't understand ksong. For that I am sorry, the more so as it caused someone to get agitated enough to post something regrettable (I missed that, came in after the edit, but it must have been a doozy).

Ksong, it was never my intent to offend you, but I obviously have. Please forgive me for my careless remarks. In my former career, I used to tell trainees quite often that if they didn't understand me, it was my fault for being a poor teacher. I should have taken that to heart when I wrote a response to you, as there were better ways to say I don't understand.

Your input here is very valuable, and has always been most interesting. Please accept my apologies for not being more diplomatic. 

43 mins ago, Otony said:

An open letter to anyone who has posted here:

I am sorry if I was misunderstood, but in virtually every single post I made, there were assurances that I had no desire to offend anyone. I also wrote that I was sorry to even point out that ksong posted in a manner that was not clear to me. Unfortunately, without a tone of voice, things are easily misconstrued. 

However, I NEVER lashed out at anyone, nor have I denigrated anyone. I am obviously guilty of not being sensitive enough when I pointed out that I didn't understand ksong. For that I am sorry, the more so as it caused someone to get agitated enough to post something regrettable (I missed that, came in after the edit, but it must have been a doozy).

Ksong, it was never my intent to offend you, but I obviously have. Please forgive me for my careless remarks. In my former career, I used to tell trainees quite often that if they didn't understand me, it was my fault for being a poor teacher. I should have taken that to heart when I wrote a response to you, as there were better ways to say I don't understand.

Your input here is very valuable, and has always been most interesting. Please accept my apologies for not being more diplomatic. 

No apologies are necessary.

I  try to post in honesty and integrity. 

21 hours ago, levari said:

Sounds like he does not know how to tie a knot...

Once you learn how to throw something heavier than a 4oz plug on 50lb braid, come back to the party. If throwing 8oz won't pop your knot in the line used on these reels, you obviously can't throw sir :howdy: 

Listen boys and girls, nobody attacked Kil here - someone politely explained to him that he didn’t understand his post. I read Kil’s post - I’ve known Kil for a long time - it was not clear what he was trying to say. If I felt Otony was inappropriate or being rude to Kil I would have edited his post and asked him to be more polite. Nobody was mean to anytime, nobody said anything inappropriate - and Otony apologized and tried to make it more clear. 

There’s no need for anyone to defend Kil...he’s got too much class to let it bother him even if someone did attack him - and I would address the person and the post just like I would for anyone. 

TimS

Just now, Popasilov said:

Looks like

To much things over a nothing.

That's because I removed the posts I felt were inappropriate :)  Let's please try to get this back on topic...if that ship has sailed, I'll take the blame for it but I felt it necessary to make the post that I did to explain why posts were removed :)

TimS

27 mins ago, Grayson said:

Once you learn how to throw something heavier than a 4oz plug on 50lb braid, come back to the party. If throwing 8oz won't pop your knot in the line used on these reels, you obviously can't throw sir :howdy: 

A good knot won’t break by the end of the drop. It would break at the beginning of the cast all the way to the top of the  climb and perhaps a little longer than that. Tell me from the video how long was his line ....

Edited by levari

Just now, levari said:

A good knot won’t break while the 8oz is dropping. It would break at the beginning of the cast all the way to the top of the  climb. Not on the dropping. Tell me from the video how long was his line ..

The line leaving the reel doesn’t know or care if the sinker is coming down or going up - it only knows how hard something is pulling on it. Braid with zero stretch doesn’t have much of a sense of humor when it comes to sudden stops and starts...like running out of line with an 8oz sinker on the other end going away from you rapidly :)

TimS

To me, it looks like the weight never maxed out in trajectory. Only way to tell for sure would be to witness it first hand. Either way, I wasn't addressing the specific cast, just the fact that a cast can snap a knot.

worth noting that in order to break a knot there would have been some sort of load visibly present at the rod's tip.

If you have your brakes set to high you can see the resistance at the rods tip. On some rods that have a flexible enough tip. 

In this vid

There was just the slightest bit of flutter in the rod tip prior to a slight pop sound that may or may not have been a sound from kilsong holding the camera.  Not really what I would think is a snapped knot at the spool

My guess is he used some thicker diameter than normal tourney casting line and intentionally dumped the spool for a cool effect.  

If it were me I wouldn't want to risk waffling a spool with a high speed break off so I'd spool knotless.

whether it went 100 200 600 yards nobody knows.

I thought it was cool :) 

I wish Kilsong filmed it from a different angle to show how the rod loaded :)

I say that only because I've been filming my field casting with a few cameras and trying to settle in on the best angle to film the dangle.

That went to crap when my big camera's focusing motor took a duece on me FML

Edited by scoobydoo