ksong

Mike Basnite's casting of 12' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II Heavy

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, CJS said:

You got that right. I have never heard a drum fisherman even consider them. Casting videos are great and no doubt that guy can outcast (probably all of) us in the field, but in reality, guys like me just look at that video and say "That is great. Lets see that with a cob head and 8." Almost has the opposite of the desired effect and certainly doesn't make me need one. 

If you want to sell some, you need to find someone who fishes all year long and get them fishing one all year. Someone who catches a bunch of drum and can tag you on FB and all that BS. Some one with street cred who can provide constructive feedback through real world trial and error. 

Also for what it is worth, everyone is running 13 foot rods for drum. Well most everybody. I bet they say, "That rod is only 12 foot." with a dismissive tone and put it in the factory/introductory rod category. 

Don't get me wrong I am intrigued by some of the lighter rods you offer, but I am too satisfied with the heavers I have to try something new. I bet a lot of guys are in the same boat. 

My builder told me GSB 1502 is very popular and it’s only 12’6”. Some cut 6” from

the top as well so they can cat 10oz or heavier. Tell me I am wrong..

Posted (edited) · Report post

46 mins ago, CJS said:

You got that right. I have never heard a drum fisherman even consider them. Casting videos are great and no doubt that guy can outcast (probably all of) us in the field, but in reality, guys like me just look at that video and say "That is great. Lets see that with a cob head and 8." Almost has the opposite of the desired effect and certainly doesn't make me need one. 

If you want to sell some, you need to find someone who fishes all year long and get them fishing one all year. Someone who catches a bunch of drum and can tag you on FB and all that BS. Some one with street cred who can provide constructive feedback through real world trial and error. 

Also for what it is worth, everyone is running 13 foot rods for drum. Well most everybody. I bet they say, "That rod is only 12 foot." with a dismissive tone and put it in the factory/introductory rod category. 

Don't get me wrong I am intrigued by some of the lighter rods you offer, but I am too satisfied with the heavers I have to try something new. I bet a lot of guys are in the same boat. 

You are absolutely right. 

We developed 13' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II Heavy conventional rods just because I observed that anglers down there prefer 13' rod.

The 13' rod has the least margin for us and I know we don't sell them many, but I wanted what they want. 

I am firm believer  that good product sell themselves eventually.

Most hard core surf fishermen down there have their own favorite rods already and it takes time to look for another rods. 

I have confidence they will like our rods once they use them. 

Edited by ksong

I'll tell you, that guy can really throw it. That would be all the way accross the Cape Cod Canal. and up into the woods.

2 mins ago, Deep Hole said:

I'll tell you, that guy can really throw it. That would be all the way accross the Cape Cod Canal. and up into the woods.

He wants to it  someday as Ron Arra did. :) 

I'm sorry if I missed it . . . has it been answered as to how many feet/yards of line where on the spool?  

And for comparative purposes, what is this rod being benchmarked against?  Is its performance, good, bad or indifferent to rods in its class?

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Thanks for the quick response Jim, OK , in the video he casts all the line form the spool, helluva cast, but how is it measured? As stated above once all the line is off, the friction is greatly reduced and the weight is going to continue flying.

You measure a cast with a tape measure where the lead lands. Snap off  go much further then a cast. I can hit mid to upper 500 but had snap off go 700. I have no doubt that guy can cast 600 all day but it should be shown on the video properly if you are gonna claim it to be so