ksong

Mike Basnite's casting of 12' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II Heavy

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 12' Heavy rod is specifically designed for NC or Virginia Beach anglers who use conventional reel to fish big drum.

Edited by ksong

This guy is a powerful caster! 

What are the ratings on that particular rod, and how much weight was he throwing?

Edited by Tagman

I don’t understand something, so forgive me if I am ignorant. Why is the line not attached to the spool? The spool is COMPLETELY empty when he is done. That cast might have been only 100 yards, and the rest of the line could have simply spun off.

I'm not suggesting that is the case, I just want to understand what is going on. I’ve never seen any distance casting where the line is unattached like that.

For the matter, the line itself seems tremendously thick to my eyes. Thicker line would suggest less actual yardage on the spool, no?

its obvious this guy is ten, no, a hundred times better caster than my old @ss can ever hope to be, but I need to understand exactly what I’m seeing. I’m funny like that I guess, call me Thomas....

Edited by Otony

Shock leader is used, not too much, but enough to wrap a few tim s around the spool on the cast to prevent breakage and hurting people!

Running line should be thinner. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Shock leader is used, not too much, but enough to wrap a few tim s around the spool on the cast to prevent breakage and hurting people!

Running line should be thinner. 

Well that makes sense, but I’m still befuddled over the line completely leaving the reel.

5 hours ago, Otony said:

Well that makes sense, but I’m still befuddled over the line completely leaving the reel.

Distance casters will try to keep the spool balanced or try to compensate for an unbalanced spool. 

1. Use scotch tape to attach the line to the spool. The tape makes precisely one wrap around the arbor/spindle.

2. Use a drop of glue to attach the line to the spool.

3. Try various ways to put the line on the spool. Making humps in the line and cross wraps when putting line on the spool.

All of this would not seem necessary for a fishing reel.

That said, I would not want to come to the end of a heavy line with a large weight attached to the far end and have it solidly attached to the spool. It is far better to use small diameter braid as backing.

23 hours ago, Otony said:

I don’t understand something, so forgive me if I am ignorant. Why is the line not attached to the spool? The spool is COMPLETELY empty when he is done. That cast might have been only 100 yards, and the rest of the line could have simply spun off.

I'm not suggesting that is the case, I just want to understand what is going on. I’ve never seen any distance casting where the line is unattached like that.

For the matter, the line itself seems tremendously thick to my eyes. Thicker line would suggest less actual yardage on the spool, no?

its obvious this guy is ten, no, a hundred times better caster than my old @ss can ever hope to be, but I need to understand exactly what I’m seeing. I’m funny like that I guess, call me Thomas....

You make some very good points....questions that should be asked........when my line has come loose from the spool, goes about another 100yds....

I don't doubt Mike can do it. You don't get to be a celebrity tackle tester if you're Joe Everyman angler. Dcast, is that a Seigler reel in your avatar?

46 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I don't doubt Mike can do it. You don't get to be a celebrity tackle tester if you're Joe Everyman angler. Dcast, is that a Seigler reel in your avatar?

Certainly is, and with a fancy handle.