BrianBM

Edge rods

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Understand and concur , u may also look at the "EDGE"  LMX series , I've been using the LRR  7020 -1   20# class 

These models sport 15" butt instead of 16 on Pelagic & 8" foregrips . I've used this model bottom fishing on all front , plus BD for bass !

i sometimes jig offshore SB with this model with 20# braid I generally get away with 4-6  oz jigs in under 200' .

The other models  LMX rods LRR series 7.6" with 14" butts maybe something you can look at . I always opt for longer rods in deep water  situations especially in water over 200' ! Hope some of this helps you and others with "EDGE" Rod selections 

I'll also go into custom rods I had built on Garys Northfork blanks several years ago and have plenty of expierance on the certain models might be helpful as well !

Edited by Capt. Lou

Posted (edited) · Report post

If I had to define one do it all EDGE Rod for a veriety of inshore and offshore uses for bottom species it would be this model ; 

LRR 7630 -1   7.6"  30# class FT 

ive used this blank for several years for above applications and it my personal go to rod especially for DW jigging , eeling ! Luv it !

i haven used it on Tuna but several years back I had a reputable offshore tuna boat try the rod when slicked tuna were ld shy !

This rod landed fish in mid 50's plus with ease and using 35# fluoro leaders ! I'm sure bigger tuna can be landed providing circumstances permit .

Edited by Capt. Lou

The rod blanks may be marvelous.  I'm loathe to trust a rod on a blank I'd never seen, felt, or flexed against the floor, and that's the limitation of a direct-to-consumer business model.

I hear you Brian I just went with my trust for Loomis rods and ordered one for SP Minnows and other lighter stuff. I've never had a Loomis rod I didn't love. My brother lost a GL3 last year on Joppa Flats at night  that was our favorite 7' spin rod we called the albie slayer. I'll post once I get it in my hand. 

I use NFC blanks exclusively for steelies and salmon which are the basis of EDGE rods.

Having used Lami, St Croix, Talon/LCI, Rogue, Sage Gear and Rainshadow for custom builds, I for one, vote NFC/EDGE.

They are as advertised IMO, light in weight, strong as they need to be and sensitive to all heck.

However, I understand the need to feel in hand. I flew to Woodland to pull on them just to prove to myself they are worth the money.

Good luck to your search!

23 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The rod blanks may be marvelous.  I'm loathe to trust a rod on a blank I'd never seen, felt, or flexed against the floor, and that's the limitation of a direct-to-consumer business model.

I get it and totally agree with touch and feel !  I wouldn't either !

update - I ordered my rod on Dec 14th. Today is 3/1. They must have gotten busy before the holidays or forgot my order. 

I emailed support 3 times in the past two weeks and made 2 phone calls leaving voicemail asking someone call me and let me know what the deal is.  Going to call again today. 

2 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

update - I ordered my rod on Dec 14th. Today is 3/1. They must have gotten busy before the holidays or forgot my order. 

I emailed support 3 times in the past two weeks and made 2 phone calls leaving voicemail asking someone call me and let me know what the deal is.  Going to call again today. 

Same i ordered a surf rod back in nov still haven't received it and no status update until yesterday when I emailed them they said they will check on it

On 3/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, blacklabnh said:

Interesting. I ordered 3 blanks from NFC around the same time. Two of the three came a few weeks ago. Still waiting on the third but haven't emailed them yet. I couldn't pass on the price

On 3/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, ChrisO said:

Interesting. I ordered 3 blanks from NFC around the same time. Two of the three came a few weeks ago. Still waiting on the third but haven't emailed them yet. I couldn't pass on the price

still no call back I am going to dispute the charge at this point. I have been patient enough and written and called them. 

Got a response and a apology from edge rods... they are telling me my rod is not in production yet that i have to wait  that was different answer from last month when they said it was being assembled woah

Sounds like a very suspect model to get rods/blanks in the hands of customers. Hopefully the product is nice enough that when you guys do get them it'd be worth the wait.