BrianBM

Edge rods

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, BrianBM said:

There is no way I would go near a mail-order rod in Edge's fairly pricey bracket without seeing and flexing the given rod first. Edge is a Gary Loomis product, and I'm sure the blanks are fine, but half of what I like in an Al Goldberg rod is that the butt length is sized to me exactly.  Butt length is one of those things that the Edge site doesn't disclose. And if they're not selling retail, why do they list both "retail" and a direct price? 

That said, how do those of you who have bought them like them?

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I am the wrong guy to ask for detailed instructions on rod building. We have a whole Forum of experts who build rods. 

"i am looking to build cheepest ,lightest spining rod for longest cast with spining rod using 20# power pro and casting salt pro minow 1 1/2 oz."  I doubt that "cheapist, lightest is going to fit with "longest cast." Since minnow plugs aren't going to permit heroic casting distances anyway, you might as well settle on cheapest and lightest.  IMHO. 

Nothing is really standardized in fishing tackle, alas. 

The Delta series hot shot, steelhead and salmon models will cast those plugs as good as any spinning rod ! The importance of rod length and tapers will permit light lines to gain distance somewhat easier with lighter air resistant plugs .

Tip tapers coupled.to light lines will make casting those lures much easier !

Ive used this style rods for over 30 seasons and worked out fine .

The key is to have a rod taper that loads easily tip wise as opposed to a fully loaded taper that It  takes more effort and lure weight to fully load .that rod !

Most of above style rods exibit those tapers 

Brian:

I've purchased around 7 Edge spinning rods over the past 6 or so years.  I absolutely love these rods.  Light, powerful, sensitive and extremely well crafted.  I can't say enough good things about them, but like all rods, they were designed with a purpose which may or may not match up with what you are trying to do.  Initially, I purchased a couple of different models of the salmon and steelhead plugging rods, (8'2" & 8'6" as I recall), to fish NC beaches for red drum.  They were both well suited to the task.  They threw incredibly long casts, you could feel fish breathing on your lure, and when it came time to fight, you could almost hear the fish whimpering during the butt whippin' they were getting.  But they were not perfect for that application.  Taper just a little too light for larger lures, the butts were way too long for my liking, & rod lengths too long for boat fishing.  But let's keep in mind that these rods were designed for a completely different purpose, and NW salmon and steelhead fishermen want that taper and that long butt for drift fishing.  So I bought a few of their inshore models over the course of a couple years which got me into the "X" ring for what I wanted to do.  (A couple were custom builds out of NFC blanks, so they were a little bit pricier.)  To me, they are exquisite rods.  They are all I use anymore,.  But let's face it, it's a matter of personal preference or opinion in a lot of ways.  There are some very impressive rods out there these days. I'd recommend that you call them and tell them what you are looking for.  My point of contact there has been Steve Pitcock.  Steve's always been very helpful to me in selecting the rod that I was looking for, though he is more of a fly guy.  But they also have some real design pros and master rod builders on their staff.  They may be able to help.  Good luck.

I’ve had my North Fork blanks for about 4-5 years now and I love them. Use them for all inshore species in the Gulf of Mexico. Reds, specks, bull reds, black drum, sheepshead and Spanish mackerel.

Also use them for light bottom fishing in Hawaii. My favorite blanks are the 8’ backbounce blanks. Very similar to the old G Loomis 8’ rods. Very sensitive, light and have no problem whipping bull reds when I accidentally hook one. Casts a mile too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bottom guys in NE would use  EDGE  Pelagic series and LMX series of conventional rods ! The 12#, 15 # & 20# class in spin and conventional would suffice for all inshore species in both conventional and spin ! 

These are 7' rods extremely light and very tough blanks to take this abuse .

i personally prefer the 12# for jig fishing whether tog or fluke ! 

Ive used these offshore wreck fishing as well ideal for SB , Cod , Haddock ,Pollock , the 15 &'20# class ideal for these applications ! My outfit with Daiwa Lexus 400 is barely overa LB ! 

Those who prefer longer rods the EDGE LMX series is the way to go, 7.6 rods with very much same tapers, in fact the 30#  class I have is my go to deepater jig n rig rod!

Bear in mind many of their 7.6 to 8' Salmon rods double for this use as well ! 

Hopefully they maybe seen at local,shows so everyone can get a feel for the rods ! 

Ill keep those who are interested in seeing them informed as to what shows they may attend .

One thing you will be amazed at the EDGE HOVR series , ultra light weight rods that can handles most inshore fish with ease , great deep water fluke bucktailer , weighs under 4 oz's @ 7.6' ! Pleasure to fish with all day ! 

Edited by Capt. Lou

12 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

Bottom guys in NE would use  EDGE  Pelagic series and LMX series of conventional rods ! 

I've got an edge pelagic spinner and an edge first strike conventional (from the ********* he did).

I love the first strike for large mouth and inshore fishing. It's a fantastic rod for that. This is the rod I recommend bass fishing.

The pelagic is okay. I've had fun fishing with it, and it is a good boat rod... but I feel like the butt section is too long. I don't know if I would recommend the pelagic without actually testing it.

PThe current Peladic series is built for offshore work , however the longer butts

are preferred by some anglers that fish deep to rest under arm easily !

Those in conjunction with generous foregrips allow better fish control when hooked up and many like rail rodding this foregrips allows both .

The LMX series offers these tapers in longer rods 7.6 and up with shorter butts but we contuine the generous foregrips , allows  anglers a decent grip when fishing bigger fish in deep water or if you prefer to RR . All thes rods are extremely light weight coupled to fast stacking tapers that will best fish mquicker !

Also allow for a wider selections of weights / lures /  jigs to be used comfortably .Ive personally used the Pelagics for deep water cod , pollock , SB , Stripers , tog , the rods extremely light weight makes for effortless jigging  or bottom fishing all day

The weight is not an issue. The pelagic is super light and I've had fun using it. I gets use every time we take the boat out. I know why the butt section was built like it was , I just don't prefer it.

I really want to get my hands on the Delta conventional rod. I love the first strike, and want to see how it compares.