BrianBM

Edge rods

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

There is no way I would go near a mail-order rod in Edge's fairly pricey bracket without seeing and flexing the given rod first. Edge is a Gary Loomis product, and I'm sure the blanks are fine, but half of what I like in an Al Goldberg rod is that the butt length is sized to me exactly.  Butt length is one of those things that the Edge site doesn't disclose. And if they're not selling retail, why do they list both "retail" and a direct price? 

That said, how do those of you who have bought them like them?

17 mins ago, igomez said:

Do u know what blank is used for the edge line 

After selling G Loomis to Shimano, Gary started North Fork Composites(rod blanks).

Edge rods is Gary’s rod company. He uses his line of North Fork blanks.

Edited by quan808

To address my questions, they'd have to drastically revamp the web site. I'll wait for somebody to actually buy, or build, and fish a bit, and write user reports. Looking over the website doesn't tell me what I'd like to know, and the Edge site doesn't include rods for the particular things on my mind now anyway. 

I was curious about rods suited for groundfish in the Midlantic and NE.  The chatter about the BH Challenger Bank rods set my curiosity in motion.  Sniffing around, somewhat idly. 

Loomis lists reel seat and guide specs/suggestions for each of his rod blanks.  If you were looking for an edge delta and know which rod im sure we can reference the blank amd its listed specs.  

15 hours ago, bobtheflounder said:

Email them and ask? I think they are busy rolling out (no pun intended) their new line of blanks

More x ray blanks?  or something else?

12 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Thank you.  I'll go back and sniff around some more. 

what rod you like to build ?what type of fishing.

i reed about suzuky blanks,light,price blank $94.

i am looking to build cheepest ,lightest spining rod for longest cast with spining rod using 20# power pro and casting salt pro minow 1 1/2 oz.

how i find best components for build?

where i should start ?

the high price do not give you any gurantie you have best rod.

i have old shimano 6' medium/medium ,price was $9 new and i cast HJ#14,i never found beter castin spining rod,i have 7' st.croix medium /light cost $100 and can not cast longer cast.shimano i cast with wrist,st.croiks i have to use 2 hands.just work harder not cast further..

i am steel lost how to find that rod.

i picked tsunami 11'M,i will do some testing.

the rod builders company should have standard test with their rods and list longest cast with 1 1/2 oz salt pro minow.

I am the wrong guy to ask for detailed instructions on rod building. We have a whole Forum of experts who build rods. 

"i am looking to build cheepest ,lightest spining rod for longest cast with spining rod using 20# power pro and casting salt pro minow 1 1/2 oz."  I doubt that "cheapist, lightest is going to fit with "longest cast." Since minnow plugs aren't going to permit heroic casting distances anyway, you might as well settle on cheapest and lightest.  IMHO. 

Nothing is really standardized in fishing tackle, alas.