December 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

Sudsy

5 hours ago, bbfish said:

They definitely come in close.  Just a few weeks ago I went 1 for 2 within sight of NYC with all of my friends boats landing a couple each as well.  Never hooked any giants, although seeing refrigerator sized fish busting through bait pretty much seals the deal in my mind that they were there. The school sized (50-60ish lbs) were feeding on rainbait/sandeels.  I'm sure the big fish feed on whatever the hell they want, including bass.

Doesnt look like there are any line marks on that fish, but I would have to guess it was hooked, fought, broke off and died? Not sure how else a big fish like that ends up on the beach looking so fresh.  I'm also confused about how far above the high tide line it looks, although I dont know IBSP very well.

20E55EAC-B0B2-4260-9EF8-E33A3A93B2AB.jpeg

Where if ished further north in Monmouth county this morning the tide was practically up to the boardwalk. Think the storm and incoming might have dragged it high up . Then sun dried the wet sand. Just an assumption and observation from today. Cool story!

6 hours ago, bbfish said:

They definitely come in close.  Just a few weeks ago I went 1 for 2 within sight of NYC with all of my friends boats landing a couple each as well.  Never hooked any giants, although seeing refrigerator sized fish busting through bait pretty much seals the deal in my mind that they were there. The school sized (50-60ish lbs) were feeding on rainbait/sandeels.  I'm sure the big fish feed on whatever the hell they want, including bass.

Doesnt look like there are any line marks on that fish, but I would have to guess it was hooked, fought, broke off and died? Not sure how else a big fish like that ends up on the beach looking so fresh.  I'm also confused about how far above the high tide line it looks, although I dont know IBSP very well.20E55EAC-B0B2-4260-9EF8-E33A3A93B2AB.jpeg

My guess is self inflicted.  Beached itself chasing bait.

I was just off the surfline in 8 or 10 feet of water...probably 12, 15 or so years ago but anyways  had a 700# fish  fish eat my schoolie striper next to the boat.  I've killed my fair share of giants, this was the real deal.   They will go shallow.  No dart holes or visible face chafe in the pics so I'm thinking bad move on Charlie's part.

4 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Two falls in a row of dinkfeast. When you guys are arguing about what regulations youd prefer and what not, you may want to think about protecting these " 26" " fish or the 14" fish rather than the non-existant/mythical 40"+ fish. We have a healthy young population and they will all turn to keeper size within the same 1 or 2 years. After a frustrating 4 years of skunk (shoutout adoboboy) more anglers will start to keep a fish every trip. Regulators will say theres a ton of small fish so lets increase limits. Next thing you know there will be no more Striped Bass.

Please protect these "rats" and treat them with respect as you release them. Thank you.

Remember the fantastic class of 2011?  They should be low 30" now.  I don't think they made it that big, we kept them as they got legal.  Too bad we can't raise the size to 34 or 36 inches.  It would mean few keepers for a couple of years but then there would be some quality fish around.

I was into these small bass in late October in Martha's Vineyard.  There seem to be tons of them, I wonder what will happen in a couple of years as they approach "keeper" size.

I have to wonder if that BF was netted by a bunker boat or the like and didn't make it after being released as by catch. Second one to wash up within the last few weeks and both were spotless. For what its worth these fish aren't that far away either. They were out there Friday and it is something else to see the wake one of these things make.

30 mins ago, buz23 said:

Remember the fantastic class of 2011?  They should be low 30" now.  I don't think they made it that big, we kept them as they got legal.  Too bad we can't raise the size to 34 or 36 inches.  It would mean few keepers for a couple of years but then there would be some quality fish around.

I was into these small bass in late October in Martha's Vineyard.  There seem to be tons of them, I wonder what will happen in a couple of years as they approach "keeper" size.

We will hear about some small keepers around for a few years then more dink’s. Lol. It’s over

10 hours ago, buz23 said:

Restore the structure, that's the key.

9 hours ago, surfcityNJ said:

I have to wonder if that BF was netted by a bunker boat or the like and didn't make it after being released as by catch. Second one to wash up within the last few weeks and both were spotless. For what its worth these fish aren't that far away either. They were out there Friday and it is something else to see the wake one of these things make.

Most likely was feeding on the sand eels and got caught in the low water....supposedly was still alive when found 

Boston Strong

• Sudsy locked this topic