Sudsy

December 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

446 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tug Addict said:

Fished 7:30-now moco outfront. Big waves and plenty of white water. Water not muddy somehow but definitely stained, still fishable though. East wind shifted ESE and a strong S-N sweep.

Picked up 2 - didn’t have measuring tape on me but this one was the bigger of the fish I caught this fall. Great fight. The other was small, 18”-20” but this one was prob 26-27” maybe bigger. Still hunting for my first keeper so for sanity/pride, need to remember to keep meausuring tape handy. 

But AVAs weren’t doing it, which I hoped would bc they held the current better so switched to mag darter and first cast landed this. Couple other good hits/bumps then a super shorty landed. Threw the rest of the bag and didn’t get a tap.

if I was using @nam1969 scoring technique, which I really like the idea of,  I’m probably on the “suck” end of the spectrum today bc I casted a ton but didn’t see any other bent rods the whole time so I guess that puts me a little further from the suck spectrum.

everyone should track that metric along with fish landed, size, County and then we should make trading cards every year w stats haha. An @MC55 rookie card is worth a ton today!

806186A1-44FA-4C5D-B5AD-9878A3F149EA.jpeg

Assuming that’s the “18-20”” do you have a pic of the bigger one?

16 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I have noticed alottttttt of guys are calling 18-20" fish 24-26" fish. Has it gotten so bad yall gotta lie about shorts? 

I had to measure one today.  Close.

But yes, from watching others it has gotten that bad for most.

41 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Close? No backpack today

4 mins ago, JMB said:

Close? No backpack today

These shorts are worth more than gold these days.  Getting caught smuggling will have you standing in front of a firing squad.  

5 hours ago, adoboboy said:

Yep, not even a small one. There's still time :) 

Man that's rough. You feel like me 6 years ago. Hell I still suck at catching them in the back bays.

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Some of the lurkers are probably ready to slit throats to be able to find a 20".

Tried  8-9am today out front cmc. S wind , conditions good for 1st 30-40yds but bigger waves coming in fast after that and slight L to R sweep at end of cast. Skipped any plugs in that mess. Found 1 short after about 30 mins and that was it. Maybe 19-20" but had a fat belly. Didnt see any bait on top or anything else pop up. 

27 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

I'm thinkin big metal lips if you want the bigger fish that are with the shorts.

Or a needle. 

Where was that suggestion yesterday?!lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just got in from NMoco outing for an hour.  Wind hasnt turned offshore yet and is light south.  Good wave action and pretty clean surface conditions.  In an hour caught numerous  18-20" fish and one that i actually measured out at 27" with a tape measure.  Had to use it just to make sure it wasnt a mirage after all these dinkies.  I refuse to believe its over! All fish hit a red/white teaser above the Ava. 

Edited by Slickwillie0000

9 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Since my mind is often cluttered with useless information and non-connected thoughts, it isn't unusual for me to come up with inane ideas. This morning is no exception. 

While reading some of the reports, I decided that we need a new way of measuring our success at fishing. Therefore, I'm announcing that we shall now judge each other based on FPC ( Fish Per Cast). Bumps, hits, and "He unbuttoned" don't count. You have to land the fish. Simply count the number of casts, for each trip out, and the number of fish landed. You must do it for a minimum of 25 trips to establish a baseline. You can then rate yourself in five categories, from I Totally Suck to Man I'm a Stud! At the end of the year, the guy with the best FPC  gets to go fishing with MC55 and gets a couple of his world renowned white swimmers. The guy with the worst FPC gets to fish with Fishless!

So that this post gets to remain in this thread, I just did a drive by of the beach. Pretty good wave action, but the water didn't seem overly dirty. Going down this afternoon, unless She Who Must Be Obeyed puts the kibosh on it!

How about we do LEGAL FISH RELEASED for a few years. 

5-6:30pm

OC

surf was up, left to right , dirty, blowing S 10-15knts.

managed one .....released it quickly to the water without wasting time for a pic... some people get mad if we get SIZE wrong... I digress.

2 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

I'm thinkin big metal lips if you want the bigger fish that are with the shorts.

Or a needle. 

I had a 20" fish take a full size CCW Danny and another 16" take a smaller CCW.