Sudsy

December 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

446 posts in this topic

Well it was a quick outing this morning that water and weather turn miserable it's like a washing machine and brown really bad south to North sweep I think it's going to take awhile for this one to calm down. Skunk for me:skunk:

7 hours ago, SIC34 said:

You're a big boy and do enough fishing. Do you really believe or care what other people report? Everybody knows where the biomass is now....and really is there a difference between 18" and 26"..probably neither is what you're really looking for.

Wait hold on I’m so confused... I thought if you caught two shorts you combined the lengths of the two? Oh crap, I actually thought I was doing better than everyone this year?!? 

8 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I have noticed alottttttt of guys are calling 18-20" fish 24-26" fish. Has it gotten so bad yall gotta lie about shorts? 

The stuff I caught yesterday and saw caught was bait. I can see how most guys are having a hard time. Sandeel bites can be tough. You have to solve the riddle but once you do you can catch a lot in a hurry.

9 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I have noticed alottttttt of guys are calling 18-20" fish 24-26" fish. Has it gotten so bad yall gotta lie about shorts? 

They actually believe they are bigger.

I fished bass tournaments for years and you would here guys say they had 15-18lbs of fish and then when they threw them on the scale they would weigh 10lbs. Guys are catching 18-20" fish and truly believe the are bigger. Who really measures an 18incher?

People forget how big a 25 to 27" fish really looks. It's easy, when you have not caught a 28" to 32" fish in a long while, to over read the size of a fish. Most guys fishing the same beach I do are referring to the bigger fish they are seeing as 22" to 23" fish. They are actually 17 to 20" fish but in comparison to all the 13" rats they look bigger. Forgive them, it's easy to fall into the rat trap.

15 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

People forget how big a 25 to 27" fish really looks. It's easy, when you have not caught a 28" to 32" fish in a long while, to over read the size of a fish. Most guys fishing the same beach I do are referring to the bigger fish they are seeing as 22" to 23" fish. They are actually 17 to 20" fish but in comparison to all the 13" rats they look bigger. Forgive them, it's easy to fall into the rat trap.

Agreed. It's not gonna be a nice December if they're focused on the the perceived number of inches of other people's fish.

Hoping we can back to reports.

I'll add that most of the fish I saw caught yesterday were on deadly dicks and teaser flies. Then on dark swimmers when tbe sun went down.

Since my mind is often cluttered with useless information and non-connected thoughts, it isn't unusual for me to come up with inane ideas. This morning is no exception. 

While reading some of the reports, I decided that we need a new way of measuring our success at fishing. Therefore, I'm announcing that we shall now judge each other based on FPC ( Fish Per Cast). Bumps, hits, and "He unbuttoned" don't count. You have to land the fish. Simply count the number of casts, for each trip out, and the number of fish landed. You must do it for a minimum of 25 trips to establish a baseline. You can then rate yourself in five categories, from I Totally Suck to Man I'm a Stud! At the end of the year, the guy with the best FPC  gets to go fishing with MC55 and gets a couple of his world renowned white swimmers. The guy with the worst FPC gets to fish with Fishless!

So that this post gets to remain in this thread, I just did a drive by of the beach. Pretty good wave action, but the water didn't seem overly dirty. Going down this afternoon, unless She Who Must Be Obeyed puts the kibosh on it!

1 hour ago, Whortleberry said:

They actually believe they are bigger.

I fished bass tournaments for years and you would here guys say they had 15-18lbs of fish and then when they threw them on the scale they would weigh 10lbs. Guys are catching 18-20" fish and truly believe the are bigger. Who really measures an 18incher?

In their defense...they're often the same people that only fish in tournaments...Aka...people that pay to be told where to fish for 8hrs 8 times / year  :)

Fished out front in OC last night and this morning.  Snotty weather but lots of short 15"-24" fish on metal and a fly teaser. The water was still pretty clean when we left.

3 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Have you really not caught a single bass in a year? Not even a dink?

I'm gonna start saying I caught 2 shorts instead of 1 so I can compete with the likes of @MC55

Yep, not even a small one. There's still time :) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished 7:30-now moco outfront. Big waves and plenty of white water. Water not muddy somehow but definitely stained, still fishable though. East wind shifted ESE and a strong S-N sweep.

Picked up 2 - didn’t have measuring tape on me but this one was the bigger of the fish I caught this fall. Great fight. The other was small, 18”-20” but this one was prob 26-27” maybe bigger. Still hunting for my first keeper so for sanity/pride, need to remember to keep meausuring tape handy. 

But AVAs weren’t doing it, which I hoped would bc they held the current better so switched to mag darter and first cast landed this. Couple other good hits/bumps then a super shorty landed. Threw the rest of the bag and didn’t get a tap.

if I was using @nam1969 scoring technique, which I really like the idea of,  I’m probably on the “suck” end of the spectrum today bc I casted a ton but didn’t see any other bent rods the whole time so I guess that puts me a little further from the suck spectrum.

everyone should track that metric along with fish landed, size, County and then we should make trading cards every year w stats haha. An @MC55 rookie card is worth a ton today!

806186A1-44FA-4C5D-B5AD-9878A3F149EA.jpeg

Edited by Tug Addict
Spelling

This is from yesterday... based on the new reporting method its about 30” +/- 15”. FPC is close to 125-1. NOMOCO. Fish were mostly at the the lip. 

C402A2F8-363C-4A39-BEEA-4947FD01BCA8.jpeg

ED01B986-0501-4F04-BA96-FF6EA4FFDCBA.jpeg

13 hours ago, adoboboy said:

This skunkathon from mid Nov 2017 is a little too much now and forgive me for the rant, but its been more than a friggin year. 

Hey man. I’m not too different this year. My last striper was 12-8-17 in OC. I’ve had a few fish come unbuttoned but none caught at all in 2018. I have four young kids and one has special needs, so fishing time is precious. I put my time in (CMC) via multiple all nighters back in the spring with not much to show for it: some bycatch staples from bait fishing out of frustration, one lonely 14” flatfish from switching over to fluke/flounder in summer, some snappers, and I thought I had a monster blue or striper that turned out to be a cow nosed ray on a zoom fluke. 

I havent wet a line since August, so when you’re out try to enjoy “the process”! Sand eel stuff: fish it hard. I’m trying to get out this week but we’ll see. 

Good luck to you!

I should have stayed in bed this morning.  As others were reporting. Snotty weather, rain big waves and strong sweep.  Metals and bucktails didnt land one and i packed it in early.