Sudsy

December 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

566 posts in this topic

First light Saturday had a bite or a fish on every cast in OCO for about 15 minutes on black needlefish and a teaser then it basically died.  Picked up one more dink on a metal teaser combo after that but that was it.  Off the beach at 8.

First light Sunday was slower.  Had a bite right at my feet, then a couple more on the black needle and teaser, then another fish on a white zoom and teaser combo but that was it.  4 bites, 4 fish.  I actually had 2 today that would probably qualify as slot fish at about 24".

Both days, once the sun got up, it was OVER.

....Fat lady warming up!

4 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

Intermediate line? Clouser? Great job in the cold!

It was low tide or at least near it, used a floating line. Used a yellow over black Clouser which was fairly long, about 6 inches. Striper hit tail on first try, so i ended up tossing it in the area 3 more times before he hit whole thing. Barely had him hooked, surprised I landed it. It was cold, but not brutal, kind of expected a better hour of 12-16 inch rats, given conditions.  Fat lady is calling. 

Thanks

12:30-now outfront moco. Zip, zero zilch. Visibility was great but couldn’t be see any bait where I was. No birds hitting either. Hoping for one or two more outings, and better reports, before I call it but def feels like we’re getting there 

Went out o.c Saturday night 6 to 830 nothing not even a tap  gave up.   Fished this morning o.c 530 to 9  one little guy right at day break on a wonder bread sp minnow. That was the only hit I had  not a touch after that. 

3 hours ago, adams54 said:

6-8 moco very flat calm and cold. On the drive there smelled the scent of a skunk spray through the heat vents of the truck. My thinking was it was either a really good sign or a bad sign of things to come. Turns out it was a bad sign. Got one bump..no fish and not a single bent rod out there. I did snag a birds nest worth of braid on a cast. Saved the plug somehow..I blame Adoboboy. 

Sorry about I. Was it a bright green j braid? I will never use j braid again. Did you find my blurple needlefish? 

Edited by adoboboy

36 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Sorry about I. Was it a bright green j braid? I will never use j braid again. Did you find my blurple needlefish? 

I was just kidding around about blaming you but it was bright green!  It was on the south side of an outflow pipe. No sign of a needlefish just braid. Dont like jbraid? I like it..seems to cast better then power pro but to each their own. A lot of wind knots are caused by overspooling. The next major cause is user error at the start of the retrieve. 

Still finding some bait out front in MoCo. had a few sandeels washing up today and loons diving on them close to shore. fished from 2-5pm had had three small bumps. Seems like that body of fish everyones been enjoying the last 2 weeks has moved on. hopefully theres a few more schools to come. And where are the herring?

Friday night I got three at the same spot as Wednesday. 

I napoed and went back in early morning. Water looked dirty. Moved and had hits on every single cast but only connected once. The action does with the day light. Later in the afternoon  I caught a sundial, herring and bass. Called it a day so I could watch the Birds. 

I might be done for the year but that herring might make me wait a little bit longer.

Hopped on a friends boat to do some ghost hunting yesterday. Covered a lot of ground and burned a ton of fuel. Around 230 we finally found some nervous bait on top. After casting for about 15min without a hook up we looked at the screen and saw some giant marks near the bottom. Dropped down a RonZ and hooked into something good. After close to 2 hours on the reel and a lot of chasing the fish down, we had it within 100’ of the boat. Gaffs were out and ready, the fish gave us one more run towards the boat and we pulled the hook. Depressing way to end the trip. 

Water temp outside Barnegat inlet was 44 degrees. My bass stuff is put away for the season. Good luck to the guys still searching. 

Tough morning out there today.  water was looking good, but the NNE wind blowing 15 to 20 made it very difficult to fish.  Worse then the north wind we had last week.  Gave it a good try, but came up empty.  Wind direction going to stay the same for awhile, but will be dropping in speed, so hopefully it will be in better shape by morning.

Fished this morning o.c before work  for about an hour. Black needle fish on the last cast  whack the biggest Hickory Shad I've ever seen on a teaser.  Boy there one stinky fish put up a nice little fight on a 7-foot rod went to work smelling like fish gotta love it. 

10 hours ago, Striperknight said:

Tough season for me. Reminds me of the 80s when I started this sport.   

I started in about 2012. Some people here would criticize newer guys for complaining they can’t find fish, meanwhile, the stock has been dropping the whole.