Sudsy

December 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

409 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

I'm no Rocco, but that's a surf scoter, the famed "skunkhead" of the waterfowl hunters. The white on the head, like a saddle shoe, is a dead giveaway. They nest in the high arctic in the summer, and are a very common winter bird in the surf in New Jersey.

Black scoters are another common Jersey winter bird. They all black, with an orangy-yellow bulb on their beak, like this:

197cd-Black-Scoter-20060215-102354-DSC0004.jpg

You are correct Mr Belmo . . . I had it wrong.

1 hour ago, Bob S. said:

When I found one last year at the Hook I called the park rangers and they came and took her away....

This one was about to become part of the food chain, a couple big gulls knew the little guy was hurt and were trying to finish the deal.

19 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Thought you fellas might find these pics from “my office” interesting.  The murky water from the pumping goes all the way south of IBSP, even though you can’t tell from the ground.

014F0AFC-861A-444A-8173-3EA324A3A438.jpeg

FA97024B-6C61-4C78-8BE9-57CA9224A0C3.jpeg

That's the same area that Berkeley dumps treated sewage into the ocean

Back out this morning and that cold NNE wind really made it uncomfortable.  Moved a bit to the north today and found very slow action.  Only pulled out two fish and had one other bump.  Fished with shorelady1 and she also pulled out a couple of little guys.  Another bent rod to the north of me and the guy came running down the beach with a nice size fluke asking me if I wanted it.  He seemed disappointed when I told him it needs to go back.  Was surprised to see one that size still in the area, which tells you the water is still warm enough to keep the stripes around.  Hope to give it another look, more to the south, later.

On 12/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, Allen said:

Had 5 fish this morning 4 were in the dark on black needlefish.  1 on the jig + teaser combo later in the morning.  Biggest was barely 20".  A lot slower today but I heard the bite picked up again at dark with guys getting fish on plugs with a couple of keepers plus many more rats.  

@BrianZ you made me a believer in the dark again man we went out extra early, right tide, and caught fish in the pitch black lol

Holy Cow!! Allen!! 

On 12/4/2018 at 1:37 PM, cartopper said:

Those are probably black scoters . . . also we have surf scoters and white wing scoters.  The white wings are more rare to see around here.  This is a pic of a black scoter I found injured on the beach last week.

blackscoter.jpg

4 hours ago, Belmo said:

I'm no Rocco, but that's a surf scoter, the famed "skunkhead" of the waterfowl hunters. The white on the head, like a saddle shoe, is a dead giveaway. They nest in the high arctic in the summer, and are a very common winter bird in the surf in New Jersey.

Black scoters are another common Jersey winter bird. They all black, with an orangy-yellow bulb on their beak, like this:

197cd-Black-Scoter-20060215-102354-DSC0004.jpg

3 hours ago, cartopper said:

You are correct Mr Belmo . . . I had it wrong.

glad you guys got this sorted out. in the pics above, they are both males btw, the females are more drab in each species, and you'll often find both species together in mixed flocks this time of year. keep your eyes peeled for eiders in those flocks too. every once in a while there's one or more mixed in. 

Was out this morning at daybreak in moco; 6:30 to 8:30; and yes, that wind was cold.  One hickory shad and one frozen hand for the effort.  

Afternoon session in NoMoCo tough conditions between the steady north wind, rolling shore break surf and no contact with the fly at times. Big 6" Clousers and Jiggies heavy weighted sandeel pattern on a 7wgt. Landed 3, my friend had two and a spin fisherman had one. All were school fish that were fat and sassy.

Wed report. Fished the morning and afternoon session in NOC and SMOCO.

Nothing for me and I didn't see anything caught. The other fisherman I talked to had zero.

The water looked great.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last night dusk-7:00. First outing in a while that I did not land/see a fish. perfect conditions

Edited by SG1

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got em good today.....good 3 hour bite...cold and once the tide blew out it was over...hoping we get a few more weeks...keep on rockin everyone

(Edit - please read the first post in the thread ~ Sudsy)

4668.jpeg

Edited by Sudsy