Jewjitzu

Blackhole Challenger Bank 7'3M, How do you use it?

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As the the title states, who has one and how do you fish it?

I'm curious, as a learning experience, as to how people are setting it up for fluke, tog and striped bass.

Especially if you're from the cape or long island, montauk, jersey...

What test braid are you using for each specific species.

What are you finding it can handle real world in terms of sinker weight, diamond jigs...

I appreciate Kil's perspective, but he also may be fishing a different technique and I'd like to know how it's working out for others.

Edited by Jewjitzu

2 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Very interesting question, I gotta say.

Agreed,

As one who just purchased one, I know how I want to set it up & use it. One the other hand,

I too would love to hear how people who have actually used  them in our Mid-Atlantic & New England waters for fluke, haddock, cod, seabass etc..

JD

I'm hoping that someone who has used a conventional rod, built on this or the 761 blank, will stand up and make a noise. For the things for which these blanks are best suited, I'd much, much rather fish a conventional reel. I know Kilsong has caught a million fish on his preferred IRT reels, but I'd rather do it on a conventional. 

I have a 731h and I use it for everything from tog and seabass to attempting to jig for tuna lol. It's really a great all around light rod with a ton of backbone. I'd think the lighter version would be perfect for blackfish, stripers, etc.

I have officially raised a brow to this one.  There is a lot of noise over the blackhole blanks...someone has to have input..

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Conventional or spinning?

Mine is conventional spiral wrapped. It super light and very strong. It's my favorite all around rod. Even though its overkill for pretty much anything inshore its lighter then any of the inshore rods I've used in the past. It feels like a freshwater rod and is very thin but super stiff. Definitely not fast action, I'd say it's more medium. Keep in mind this is alot more rod than the 731m. I can bounce a 10 pound fish onto a party boat without much effort but it still has the sensitivity to feel the smallest bites from porgies or blackfish. I saw the charter special at surf day and really liked it so I'll pick one of those up over the winter at the next show for inshore stuff. 

Edited by Big Will

Ahhhh, spiral wrap conventional, very, very much to my taste. A custom build?

Igomez, the thread is new, I'm sure more folks will speak up. Most of the BH chatter here pertains to casting/surfcasting tackle, not to groundfish. 

35 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Ahhhh, spiral wrap conventional, very, very much to my taste. A custom build?

Igomez, the thread is new, I'm sure more folks will speak up. Most of the BH chatter here pertains to casting/surfcasting tackle, not to groundfish. 

They come spiral wrapped. And they even come with a nice rod sleeve to store your rod in. I really like how they made it 7'3". The little bit of extra length is great for party boat fishing. Although for jigging for ground fish I think I'd prefer the 8' model. When jigging in a traditional manner I've always been more comfortable with longer rods and unless you're fishing for tuna theres no reason for a shorter rod. I'm a big fan of the spiral wrapping too, much more comfortable to fish with. 

47 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Make mine 7'6", I rarely see a boat that isn't a LI partyboat from 80' on up. 

The medium heavy comes in 7’6 and is available conventional and spiral. 

I cant decide if the 7’3m is sufficient or to go with the 7’6mh. 

10 hours ago, Big Will said:

Keep in mind this is alot more rod than the 731m. I can bounce a 10 pound fish onto a party boat without much effort but it still has the sensitivity to feel the smallest bites from porgies or blackfish. I saw the charter special at surf day and really liked it so I'll pick one of those up over the winter at the next show for inshore stuff. 

Thanks Big Will, Now were really getting some expereinced info.

If ...is a lot more rod than the 731m, which one do you have? The 761 MH or the 731H? 

I bought the 731M for bucktailing Nantucket fluke, light jgging for groupd fish like haddock and smaller market cod, BI seabass & cod w/ 5 - 8 oz diamond jigs, perhaps some Lucanus style.

Are these the purpose / niche you're picking up the Charter Special? 6'8" slow pitch or 7'3" inshore? 

Would you say the 7'3" inshore Charter Special is similar in action and capacity to the Challanger Back 731m?

Thanks!

JD