Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

bob_G

8 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Wow, thats crazy.

If their open 10 hours a day, thats around $417.00 a minute..... every single minute their open.....seems like a lot.

That's actually about it. 

There's roughly 10 terminals with budvendors inside, and if there's any line at all--- even just 3 people waiting outside -- that means all 10 registers are fully occupied inside. Average transaction time is probably 3 minutes. Average sale probably 100 dollars. And those ten registers are full from 8am to 10pm 7days a week

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Wow.

That's a lot of cabbage. 

Growers must be going all out.

Not going all out fast enough.

I think demand has exceeded even the most wildly optimistic projections: Last time I was there they had sold out of half their strains. 

14 hours ago, b-ware said:

Insignificant town...……….We are light years ahead of Sandwich and it's wash ashore residents...…………….

There you go making it personal once again .   :beatin:   But I will send you some :heart: anyway.      Comparing both your town and mine to Boston, they both are insignificant in the number of people living in both .:howdy: More children in the mix,more police and fire personal, Better educational systems, better health care,More places of alcohol purchasing, More hard drugs to deal with on a daily basis. Just a few examples of the vast differences along with more land surface to cover and a more diverse ethnic population  living with in it.

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

Here's the actual official numbers since the start of legal sales on November 20th. 

Screenshot_20181205-081456_Chrome.jpg.827fa503132f76f9b86b100d8924b0cc.jpg

Two stores only. And Northampton is slightly bigger than Leicester, so I'd guesstimate a 60/40 split between the two.

Tax collected since November 20th:

$960,000.

Edited by rst3

7 mins ago, rst3 said:

Here's the actual official numbers since the start of legal sales on November 20th. 

Screenshot_20181205-081456_Chrome.jpg.827fa503132f76f9b86b100d8924b0cc.jpg

Two stores only. And Northampton is slightly bigger than Leicester, so I'd guesstimate a 60/40 split between the two.

Tax collected since November 20th:

$960,000.

And that's only the recreational side...…….How much revenue was generated from the medical side, extracts and the herbal sales...………….

12 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Wow.

That's a lot of cabbage. 

Growers must be going all out.

Here are more stats from todays Globe.  Includes both recreational stores.

First week revenues ….....$2.2 M.

Second week revenues....$2.6 M.

Second week different products sold....65,196.

Busiest day....$461K from 11,381 different products.

Second busiest day....$420 K.

First week...….. customers bought an average of 3.4 products in each transaction.

Second week.....customers bought an average 2.9 products in each transaction.  

Personally, my concern is young people. If an adult wants to use cannabis (or anything else for that matter), it's his/her free choice. But it's unfair to kids that we are making this substance far too easy to acquire in undetectable ways. Everyone is in agreement that the young brain is not ready for cannabis and there are life-long consequences. You may refute cancer, addiction, DUI, etc. arguments, but the impact on the young brain is proven science.

This is a powerful substance. With vaping, integration into edibles and juices, it will be easy to over-consume and can have devastating consequences. Yes, kids do drink alcohol, smoke, even steal pills and get hooked on heroin. But we try to make it difficult for them as a society to do those things. By legalizing cannabis, we are making it easy and undetectable for it to be distributed down the chain.

To me, there is not much difference between a young person getting painkillers/opioids, liking the state of being high, wanting more and stronger highs, and keeping on going and going. Explain to me how cannabis is different.

14 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Personally, my concern is young people. If an adult wants to use cannabis (or anything else for that matter), it's his/her free choice. But it's unfair to kids that we are making this substance far too easy to acquire in undetectable ways. Everyone is in agreement that the young brain is not ready for cannabis and there are life-long consequences. You may refute cancer, addiction, DUI, etc. arguments, but the impact on the young brain is proven science.

This is a powerful substance. With vaping, integration into edibles and juices, it will be easy to over-consume and can have devastating consequences. Yes, kids do drink alcohol, smoke, even steal pills and get hooked on heroin. But we try to make it difficult for them as a society to do those things. By legalizing cannabis, we are making it easy and undetectable for it to be distributed down the chain.

To me, there is not much difference between a young person getting painkillers/opioids, liking the state of being high, wanting more and stronger highs, and keeping on going and going. Explain to me how cannabis is different.

This basically the real issue we are all facing with the use of this marijuana on the young among us . Will it bring long term problems into our society that may endanger a whole generation of young adults and then affect the American way of life as we know it . Like you have posted the long term use on the brains of young undeveloped adults may never be known in our life time [or at least what i have left of mine] Can the damage it causes to the brain cells, be changed  or reversed once it is stopped . What permanent loss is noticed and how long will it take to reverse if it is possible to do. Once the body gets used to taking what ever dose they choose to use initially how long will it be before the dose needs to be increased to get the same high or whatever you may call it before they then need to increase it to a higher dose or what ever you want to call it? Every one knows most of the problems alcohol causes in the human body and what it takes to overcome its abuse , we have yet to determine all of the problems associated with marijuana and that will come in time as more and more problems come up or not. 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

To get back to the OP.......Question 11e on Form 4473:

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or

decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside

Lying on the form is a felony under federal law.  I personally wouldn't be throwing my ID around at a pot shop and then lying about it on government forms, but some people may be more brazen.

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

11 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

This basically the real issue we are all facing with the use of this marijuana on the young among us . Will it bring long term problems into our society that may endanger a whole generation of young adults and then affect the American way of life as we know it . Like you have posted the long term use on the brains of young undeveloped adults may never be known in our life time [or at least what i have left of mine] Can the damage it causes to the brain cells, be changed  or reversed once it is stopped . What permanent loss is noticed and how long will it take to reverse if it is possible to do. Once the body gets used to taking what ever dose they choose to use initially how long will it be before the dose needs to be increased to get the same high or whatever you may call it before they then need to increase it to a higher dose or what ever you want to call it? Every one knows most of the problems alcohol causes in the human body and what it takes to overcome its abuse , we have yet to determine all of the problems associated with marijuana and that will come in time as more and more problems come up or not. 

Carl,

With all due respect, you're really playing fast and loose with all these facts.  Much of what you're saying is your opinion, and not necessarily fact. Rather, simply conjecture or speculation.

That being said, the time for recrimination has long since passed. The people have spoken.  Marijuana is legal.  Just like alcohol, tobacco and red meat. All of which are bad for you if take in excess, but perfectly fine if used in moderation and with common sense.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Colorado's Teen Marijuana Usage Dips after Legalization

Government study puts the state’s high school cannabis use below the national average.

Marijuana consumption by Colorado high school students has dipped slightly since the state first permitted recreational cannabis use by adults, a new survey showed on Monday, contrary to concerns that legalization would increase pot use.

The biannual poll by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment also showed the percentage of high school students indulging in marijuana in Colorado was smaller than the national average among teens.

According to the department, 21.2 percent of Colorado high school students surveyed in 2015 had used marijuana during the preceding 30 days, down from 22 percent in 2011, the year before voters statewide approved recreational cannabis use by adults 21 and older. The first state-licensed retail outlets for legalized pot actually opened in 2014.

Nationwide, the rate of pot use by teens is slightly higher at 21.7 percent, the study found.

“The survey shows marijuana use has not increased since legalization, with four of five high school students continuing to say they don't use marijuana, even occasionally,” the department said in a statement.

The department conducts the voluntary survey every two years in conjunction with the University of Colorado and a citizens advisory committee.  About 17,000 students responded to the poll.

Source: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/colorado-s-teen-marijuana-usage-dips-after-legalization/

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

9 mins ago, bdowning said:

Maybe I missed it in this now 9-page thread, but are the sales clerks in these new retail weed shops "carding" everyone who buys product, regardless of age?

According to one poster here who went to one of the stores, yes.  They electronically scan your license at the door and visually inspect it a second time at the register 

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

6 mins ago, jkrock said:

According to one poster here who went to one of the stores, yes.  They electronically scan your license at the door and visually inspect it a second time at the register 

Are customer names recorded or are licenses scanned to verify dob?

The Sultan of Sluggo