bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

1,113 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Mike My position will remain stead fast with plenty of background information for me to make a rational decision as to if I would use it or not. As In my particular case I did not get diagnosed until I reached my 70 years of age and all I did was smoke cigarettes for aprox 10 years as I posted above  and perhaps if you want to look up other studies done by more aware hospitals around the country like the Cleveland Clinic you might see collaborating information . The more significant damage is done to the young among us rather then those who have gone beyond the developmental stages in life where the brain cells will be more affected and just like cigarettes If you survive into the ripe old age after you retire if you have not done that , you might change your opinion as you sit in the doctors office as he is attempting keep you alive with some drugs or inhalers , just so that you can breath. Mike how old are you by the way ? Just so that I can gain some reference to where you are in life. When it comes to lungs and breathing any thing that you inhale as you smoke will eventually harm your lungs and that has been proven over and over many years and it is only a matter when it will. :howdy:   

Im 57.

I have a good doctor who knows my history and is progressive about monitoring all aspects of my health.

Obviously anyone can be surprised by cancer at any time, but nothing currently points in that direction. Knock on wood. 

I have a large number of friends and acquaintances my age or older who quit tobacco young but smoked weed 40 years.

No more lung issues than anyone else. 

I'm really not a pro-reefer guy in the big picture regardless of or maybe because of my experience. 

It is not harmless, it's not for everyone and it can fork up your life.

But it really does not cause lung cancer.:howdy:

Frankly I can't wait 

28 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

On a side note, one thing I’m excited about with legalization is that real, scientific testing of all these health/ medical/ psychological/ motor skill questions can be answered. It’s still  limited because it’s not legal federally but still a step in the right direction.

Frankly that's the one upside to legalization for me.   

Hopefully 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. They will discover that all of the health benefits of canabis are really true, ushering in a new age in health and wellness

or

2. They will discover that like most things, there is some benefit but mostly people were just really friggin high.

Either way, we can all get back to business humping the environment and flaming each other about it.

Funny how the generational gap shows the difference in opinion on weed. If your over 70, in many cases you believe wholeheartedly its a gateway drug as well as addictive and is a major cause of disease. On the flip side, its a drug like any other substance that alters ones behavior that shouldn't be abused yet is clearly acceptable by the majority of the population.Canada legalized it a month or so ago, guess what, they ran out of weed, a sure sign that its more popular than the naysayers ever imagined. Worried about car crashes and citing 6% increases in accidents, the facts are that population increased by 20-30% in that state (CO) and with more people you haver more crashes. And those stats were publicized by insurance companies, they cherry pick stats to make their case so they can make more $$. Stoners don't speed, they cruise. 

In case you don't know weed has been popular in the US since the 60's, I'd bet 75% of US folks under 70 have tried it and about 30% use it casually on a weekly basis. Shocked?. As for the health issues, its being used as medicine for many ailments, smoking 3 paks of cigs a day would be the equivalent of about a months worth or more of weed smoking, 2 joints a day, everyday, would be considered a lot. And no chemicals are added as they are in cigs. Also, addictive?, maybe habitual but not a bit addictive. Brain damaging?, yes perhaps in high doses for young kids, who is suggesting we push weed on our children? Sure its harmful, so are M &M s, used moderately like anything it probably won't be the cause of death to most.

Bottom line is, its rampant, like chocolate and its accepted. Best of all, the law stops wasting its time and efforts and the court system recovers and we can fight real crime instead of ruining a bunch of kids lives over some weed. In addition, managed properly, its a tax bonanza, creates jobs and takes the dealer out of the picture. Ultimately, who are dealers connected to at the top of the business, terrorists. I'd rather give my money to the state than a terrorist.  

Used properly, it a far better choice than alcohol, but thats not what our entire society grew up on, but in another 10 years all the ultra conservatives will be dead and the supporters will be 90% of population. When enough states legalize and the banks and big business apply enough pressure, the fed will relinquish and get on board, for now that are playing the game of big brother, still enough support in the good ol' boys club to keep it at bay, but it won't be long now.

Canada ran out of weed, doesn't that say something to the naysayers?  

46 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Im 57.

I have a good doctor who knows my history and is progressive about monitoring all aspects of my health.

Obviously anyone can be surprised by cancer at any time, but nothing currently points in that direction. Knock on wood. 

I have a large number of friends and acquaintances my age or older who quit tobacco young but smoked weed 40 years.

No more lung issues than anyone else. 

I'm really not a pro-reefer guy in the big picture regardless of or maybe because of my experience. 

It is not harmless, it's not for everyone and it can fork up your life.

But it really does not cause lung cancer.:howdy:

Mike COPD is not cancer of the Lungs that is another problem that could affect any one no matter if they smoked or not . One could say any thing taken in moderation will not have the same affects as one that indulgence in large quantities. Lately I have paid my last respects to many of my young friends that passed from smoking just plain cigarettes and I have a good friend , much younger then myself that has been in hospice care for over a year and he has been living such a pain life , that it is not even a way to live for no one. I lost my Father, Uncles , Aunts, Cousins the same age as me in another time span and a few friends as well from passing due to drinking alcohol at early ages . I made a decision early on and have never ever even had a glass of beer, that is what impact it had on my life. I have first hand experiences on the affects alcohol have on the body , my father never got to live out his life as he died at 52. Leaving my mother with 6 children to take care of . She on the other hand a Non smoker and alcoholic lived until she was 98 . We all look at life through different mirrors and its all on how we get to travel that:howdy: road .   

Edited by Angler #1

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Mike COPD is not cancer of the Lungs that is another problem that could affect any one no matter if they smoked or not . One could say any thing taken in moderation will not have the same affects as one that indulgence in large quantities. Lately I have paid my last respects to many of my young friends that passed from smoking just plain cigarettes and I have a good friend , much younger then myself that has been in hospice care for over a year and he has been living such a pain life , that it is not even a way to live for no one. I lost my Father, Uncles , Aunts, Cousins the same age as me in another time span and a few friends as well from passing due to drinking alcohol at early ages . I made a decision early on and have never ever even had a glass of beer, that is what impact it had on my life. I have first hand experiences on the affects alcohol have on the body , my father never got to live out his life as he died at 52. Leaving my mother with 6 children to take care of . She on the other hand a Non smoker and alcoholic lived until she was 98 . We all look at life through different mirrors and its all on how we get to travel that:howdy: road .   

One last thing to consider;

A great deal of weed medical claims are overblown in my opinion, 

Except for when it comes to cancer, hospice, end of life care.

Weed will do wonders for the bad effects of chemo.

Weed does not kill pain like opioids but medical studies and personal observations suggest pain med use is reduced when weed supplements.

Weed reduces nausea and increases appetite. 

Weed makes you feel good. As a hospice drug that is not a bad thing.

It can be administered as edibles or liquid tincture for non-smokers or given as a few whiffs from a vape pen for those that can't eat.

Don't rule it out my friend. You might be surprised. 

Does anyone truly think because it is now legal in ma that there are alot more people smoking ? No there not same people now just a better resource . Gateway drug come on said the person who never smoked. Funny how the govt has no issue with allowing opiods, to be handed out by the millions , oh thats rite thats big pharma ! And as far as smoking it im sure there will be ill affects for long term use ! Putting anykind of smoke in your lungs is going to hurt them ! Im all for legalization on the fed level . Im also very much against prescription drugs that do way more damage than any weed ever will! In these car accident reports does it ever show what people were useing prescrption drugs ? Or are they just hell bent on going after the weed smokers! And anyone who says its a gateway drug has never smoked weed plain and simple!

If there is even such a thing as a gateway drug it has to be alcohol by orders of magnitude. 

I'm not entirely comfortable with weed legalization but so long as alcohol is legal, it's impossible to argue against weed.

Weed beats booze at any test you want to throw at it.

Which by the way, is something else I've observed with my own eyes; a hardcore, hopeless dysfunctional drunk, in his 60s, too sick from neurological alcohol damage to work, basically ward of the State, given up and waiting to die, turn into a new man and be "cured" of alcohol when some young guys convinced him to try weed.

Make no mistake, he immediately traded one addiction for another. He became a weed fiend.

The difference was, he became a semifunctioning normalish member of society. After a few months off booze the neurological disorders subsided and he was out and about and got a job bagging groceries. 

Now of course I would not recommend weed as a cure all for alcohol abuse. Truthfully most people would probably smoke the weed and keep drinking. 

At least with this one guy who was pretty far gone, trading the one for the other probably saved his life. It definitely made his life better.

When I began this thread I was hoping it wouldn't go down this road. In other words, a temperance debate. Pot v alcohol.  Resurrecting the insane Reefer Madness debate. But it has, and I'll add my $0.02.

I'm a product of the 1960s and 70s.  The term "gateway drug" was one of those handy dandy buzz words our gubmint would assign to situations they were uncomfortable with. Like the "domino theory" which got us into Viet Nam.

The term gateway drug was our government's way of vilifying marijuana. Probably fueled by the powerful liquor lobby at the time.  Gubmint sanctioned scare tactics. Marijuana>LSD>heroin>a life if hell.

Gateway drug? How about tobacco? How about alcohol? Without exception, every kid I knew growing up smoked illicit cigarettes or booze they stole from their parents long before they ever experimented with marijuana. 

Alcohol and tobacco have ruined more lives than marijuana could in 100 years. My dad died of a smokers related disease. I have a form of copd and lost a lung due to the same, and I NEVER TOUCHED TOBACCO! It was due to my dad's second hand smoke.

35 mins ago, bob_G said:

When I began this thread I was hoping it wouldn't go down this road. In other words, a temperance debate. Pot v alcohol.  Resurrecting the insane Reefer Madness debate. But it has, and I'll add my $0.02.

I'm a product of the 1960s and 70s.  The term "gateway drug" was one of those handy dandy buzz words our gubmint would assign to situations they were uncomfortable with. Like the "domino theory" which got us into Viet Nam.

The term gateway drug was our government's way of vilifying marijuana. Probably fueled by the powerful liquor lobby at the time.  Gubmint sanctioned scare tactics. Marijuana>LSD>heroin>a life if hell.

Gateway drug? How about tobacco? How about alcohol? Without exception, every kid I knew growing up smoked illicit cigarettes or booze they stole from their parents long before they ever experimented with marijuana. 

Alcohol and tobacco have ruined more lives than marijuana could in 100 years. My dad died of a smokers related disease. I have a form of copd and lost a lung due to the same, and I NEVER TOUCHED TOBACCO! It was due to my dad's second hand smoke.

Sorry Bob I tried to resist going off topic but it is interesting and it is a Massachusetts specific topic. 

A topic I've been following since 1978.

Very strange world we live in today.

There is a federal wildlife refuge in my neighborhood which I frequent for geeky nature hikes etc.

On the river bank next to a parking lot is the party spot for local young people. 

Besides my current interests in the area, it also happens to be very close to where I partied 40 years ago. Like a mile. Same town cops.

So one day these kids are talking to me while smoking from a bong full of river water (I declined) and they laugh when I ask about town cops or federal rangers.

Turns out it's the party spot because the townies stay away and the feds look the other way. 

Even though it's a federal offense plus DUI on local roads, and everyone knows what's going on.

Doesn't even seem like the same planet, even though I been right here the whole time.

Hope "taxation's worth the human toll", so says my mayor, Marty Walsh.

Asked to clarify his comment, Walsh said he is worried about drug addiction.  Walsh has frequently talked about his past addiction to alcohol.

"Some people can drink alcohol and not get addicted to it, I can't".  Walsh said.  "Some people can smoke weed and not get addicted to drugs.  Some people can't".

Walsh cites a number of studies.  One out of Denver which showed an increase in emergency room visits after pro-marijuana legislation.  Another done by the National Institute of Drug Abuse indicating up to 30% of users have some degree of dependence on the weed.  Another NIDA study suggests that 9% of marijuana users become addicted.

Meanwhile, Andrea Cabral, our former Suffolk County sheriff,  waits patiently for Walsh to flip so that she can open up a cannabis shop down the street from me on Friend Street.  

Edited by Joe G

21 mins ago, Joe G said:

Hope "taxation's worth the human toll", so says my mayor, Marty Walsh.

Asked to clarify his comment, Walsh said he is worried about drug addiction.  Walsh has frequently talked about his past addiction to alcohol.

"Some people can drink alcohol and not get addicted to it, I can't".  Walsh said.  "Some people can smoke weed and not get addicted to drugs.  Some people can't".

Walsh cites a number of studies.  One out of Denver which showed an increase in emergency room visits after pro-marijuana legislation.  Another done by the National Institute of Drug Abuse indicating up to 30% of users have some degree of dependence on the weed.  Another NIDA study suggests that 9% of marijuana users become addicted.

Meanwhile, Andrea Cabral, our former Suffolk County sheriff,  waits patiently for Walsh to flip so that she can open up a cannabis shop down the street from me on Friend Street.  

What about the taxation on tobacco?????????  clearly that is probably the most deadly vice there is and yet it is still legal...……..the same could be said for alcohol...…………...

After reading what the Mayor said I am lead to believe that these statements are his personal opinions, nothing more and nothing less.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:27 PM, bob_G said:

I'm watching the news the other night and they featured the long lines at the cannabis dispensary in Leicester. I noticed there were a lot of guys standing in line, my age. Wearing camo hats, pants and coats. Clearly hunters. Local police cruisers parked nearby. If the local police were to keep track of locals visiting the dispensary, could that come back to haunt them when they go to renew their LTC or FID?

Just for the sake of added discussion here, aren't you profiling people as hunters because of their clothing?  Camo clothing today is fashionable and fairly inexpensive...……….

11 mins ago, b-ware said:

…...

After reading what the Mayor said I am lead to believe that these statements are his personal opinions, nothing more and nothing less.

Absolutely.

And because of his beliefs, the downside is that he is going very, very slow on approving opening cannabis facilities in Boston.  So far, there is no fast tracking for any of the 50+ such applications that have been filed.

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Absolutely.

And because of his beliefs, the downside is that he is going very, very slow on approving opening cannabis facilities in Boston.  So far, there is no fast tracking for any of the 50+ such applications that have been filed.

Joe, the people of Mass. have stated and voted into law, the recreational use of cannabis...…………..Who is Mayor Marty Walsh to say different???????????

Several months ago the people of the fine town of Ware were polled about this very issue and over two thirds  where in favor of a legal pot shop (actually two).  Our board of selectman now have their mission statement in this manner and have approved one shop already...……...