bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

1,068 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, JTR said:

The irony is that my position on the subject comes from a life of dealing with people in my family that had drugs (largely weed for years until other drugs took over) take a serious toll. 

I respect your opinion. I hope you can understand where my opinion comes from.

I suspected all along there was an underlying issue that prevents you from assimilating facts that counter your beliefs.

I'm sincerely sorry you had problems with people who used drugs.

I would point out, they probably all ate carrots too.

Statistics show, most people with drug problems have eaten carrots within the last couple months.

Proof right there!

I'm in my early 30s and have 15+ years experience in a lot of different facets of "marijuana". Its interesting to see all the contradicting opinions from a bunch of guys that all have a passion in common (fishing).  The thread has certainly been an entertaining read. 

15 mins ago, TLap21 said:

JTR,

Genuine curiosity questions:

• What are the differences between Decriminalized and Legal Marijuana that you have an issue(s) with?  
  • Alcohol and Nicotine/Tobacco are both ahead of MJ on the substance abuse list.  Do you also have an issue with them being legal?  
  • What are these downsides you keeping referring to regarding MJ users?  

Thanks. 

I’m retired. 

46 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

Straight from Google

Screenshot_20190315-104919_Google.jpg

god damned drivers high on nicotine and caffeine, there outta be a law.

Seriously though, the first time I dipped I got way more fuct up than my first marijaunas

8 mins ago, mark77 said:

god damned drivers high on nicotine and caffeine, there outta be a law.

Seriously though, the first time I dipped I got way more fuct up than my first marijaunas

Oh christ, I am so sensitive to tobacco I would never drive on it.

I once attempted to smoke a cigar when a friend had a baby. I didn't inhale, but still puked and couldn't drive for 1/2 an hour.

I understand people get used to those effects but I never could. To this day second hand tobacco smoke makes me queezy.

Whenever the topic of addiction and substance abuse comes up, I'm always amazed at how nicotine addiction gets glossed over. Nicotine addiction is perhaps the biggest drain on our health care system. Many of the pulmonary and cardiac diseases our health care systems are paying for today have their roots in tobacco and nicotine addiction.

Tobacco and nicotine weaves its way into the fabric of your life. Sonething good happens, you reward yourself with a smoke. Something bad happens, need a smoke to calm down. Nice meal, lite up a cigarette. After sex, a cigarette. Smoke a few on the ride home after work. I watched my dad smoke 4 packs a day for the majority of his life. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:38 AM, JTR said:

I’ll say that the large majority of alcoholics are not physically dependent on alcohol - it’s all in their head, just like MJ addiction.

Have never seen anyone get DTs from stopping smoking weed. DTs are neurological, meaning that something physical is going on.

Honestly, I'm 65 years old, and I've never heard of anyone suffering from a confirned case, nor requiring professional treatment for cannabis addiction.  Growing up in the liquor business I literally knew a busload of people, many were friends, who fought alcohol addiction. Many did it on their own. A few won, but many lost. Some sought professional help and emerged sober.  However some relapsed.

I've had perhaps a dozen friends, and one close family member seek treatment for substance abuse. Both heroin and cocaine. 

That said, I've never heard of anyone being treated specifically for cannabis addiction.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Have never seen anyone get DTs from stopping smoking weed. DTs are neurological, meaning that something physical is going on.

My goodness, last year I spent several nights in the hospital for minor-ish issue.

The lady in the room next to me had the whole floor disrupted. Screaming, crying, abusing the nurses, ring bell every five minutes, up all night ranting and talking to imaginary people. 

Her medical problems were not severe. Her problem was she was an alcoholic suffering DTs while trapped in a hospital bed for unrelated reasons.

They finally medicated the hell out her.

Alcohol is a very addictive drug.

MJ is a very habit forming drug.

There is a difference. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Going off on a tangent here, but since addiction is part of this;

I don't have stats but my experience in life and my careful research indicates pharmaceutical anti-depressants are at or near the top of addiction and societal disruptions. 

Withdrawal from prozac or paxil, for example requires medical supervision, takes months, is so uncomfortable multiple days off from work are often required. 

Unsupervised or cold turkey is down right dangerous. 

Many people give up and resign themselves to staying on it for life....

....despite gaining 75 lbs and giving up on fun, excitement and sex.

Suicide, aggression, paranoia and violent behavior are possible side effects.

Next to that MJ is a *****cat.

But the harmful dangerous disruptive drug is pushed by rich white males so no one says a word. 

MJ is still seen as the drug of poor brown or white trash folks.

Only the allure of $$$$$$ is making MJ attractive to the Ruling Class.

Once enough old white guys get rich off legal MJ, the stigma will fade.

Edited by mikez2