bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

1,068 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, JTR said:

No way, never. This will never happen. A newly legalized drug that is scientifically proven to affect reaction time could NEVER cause traffic accidents. :box: :laugh:

That’s the response that you’ll get from multiple pot heads.... except they’ll actually believe it. They’ll also say that we know nothing about the drug. And that the fear of weed is all a result of years of propaganda. They’ll even go as far as to say that they’re better drivers while using the drug. :laugh:

The fact that that will be ignored is that a newly legalized drug means tons of NEW users. Users that won’t be able to function, let alone drive effectively on the drug.

That's just a reHASH of the same argument you tried to make at the beginning of this thread.

It's only been a few months but nothing yet to support your fears.

The reality is, the shops are too few, too much hassle, WAY too expensive and selection too limited to bring out significant new users.

It's having very little to zero affect on society. 

Street dealers who were worried at first are laughing now. High legal price is good for blackmarket business. 

The Weed Fear is too deeply entrenched to be eradicated by observations of facts.

As is the prejudice against those who use it, legally or not.

So, this thread comes back to the beginning....

I support legalization. I dont smoke and I wouldnt pay for it. I think we have been paying to much for too long to incarcerate people for use and possession. However, it does change decision making and reaction times significantly so there will be a certain percentage of high vehicle operators and accidents.

I wonder if there is any reliable way to look at statistics in Ma since medicinal came legal.

The time frame/data points is higher than recreational. 

The concentrate, tinctures and edibles are staples of the medicinal regimen. 

Those are the things that can confuse and impair much more than smoking bud.

If road accidents were going to be an issue it should be showing up by now.

I'm not saying they are not, though that is my instinct.

The other statistics I'd love to see but can't picture where to find; numbers of new smokers since legalization. 

My gut says not many but I'm real curious what the facts are.

Posted (edited) · Report post

33 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I wonder if there is any reliable way to look at statistics in Ma since medicinal came legal.

The time frame/data points is higher than recreational. 

The concentrate, tinctures and edibles are staples of the medicinal regimen. 

Those are the things that can confuse and impair much more than smoking bud.

If road accidents were going to be an issue it should be showing up by now.

I'm not saying they are not, though that is my instinct.

The other statistics I'd love to see but can't picture where to find; numbers of new smokers since legalization. 

My gut says not many but I'm real curious what the facts are.

Probably too soon for anyone to have done any research on it at this point. Its only been how long? 6 months?

Edited by MakoMike

14 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Probably too soon for anyone to have done any research on it at this point. Its only been how long? 6 months?

I'm more interested in what happens down the road when edibles and prerolled joints are sold at the local convenience store like cigarettes and EVERY HS kid and their mother has regular access.     I just want to be able to drive to work in a reasonable amount of time!

20 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Longer for medicinal. Not sure exactly but couple years I think.

The dire prediction of road carnage should be making news by now.

Just now, pogie_boy said:

I'm more interested in what happens down the road when edibles and prerolled joints are sold at the local convenience store like cigarettes and EVERY HS kid and their mother has regular access.     I just want to be able to drive to work in a reasonable amount of time!

I don't ever see that, at least not anytime soon.

If for no other reason, the state approved growers will never keep up.

Especially now that they are finding every town wants to block the grow operations. 

32 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I don't ever see that, at least not anytime soon.

If for no other reason, the state approved growers will never keep up.

Especially now that they are finding every town wants to block the grow operations. 

When the feds decriminalize it, interstate commerce and ultimately international commerce will occur.

Supply will no longer be an issue.

Youll be buying chinese gummies at Target.

19 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

When the feds decriminalize it, interstate commerce and ultimately international commerce will occur.

Supply will no longer be an issue.

Youll be buying chinese gummies at Target.

Pigs be flyin' long before that!

27 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

......…

No one expects the US to legalize MJ soon, however some federal initiatives are trying to let states do their own thing.  For example.

From 2/18/19 Barron's...……

"A mid February hearing before a subcommittee of the House Financial Services Committee considered the SAFE Banking Act, a bill that would allow banks to legally handle the proceeds from a state-legal MJ business. 

A broader reform would result from the States Act which would exempt MJ from most federal drug laws, within states that have legalized it. 

The SAFE Banking Act might get a vote this year, but Congress isn't likely to seriously consider the States Act before next year, says the MJ investment and research firm ArcView Group." 

Someday it may be readily available everywhere but I believe that day is far off.

The federal angle is really the deciding factor.

I don't see much happening either way with the current regime but their rhetoric has been anti-MJ so far.

If the pendulum overswings in 2020, who knows?

2 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Not gonna happen, every state is going to treat it like booze and restrict distribution. From what you guys are saying its pretty much undistributed now.

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Longer for medicinal. Not sure exactly but couple years I think.

The dire prediction of road carnage should be making news by now.

Not so sure about that. I think there is at least a good probability that those with the required prescriptions are too sick to drive very much anyway.

As far as driving while impaired, why is no one suggesting simply going back to the way DUI was done before breathalyzers, have a simple cognition and motor skills test administered roadside. The nice thing about that is it gets right to the point, not whether the person is high, but are they impaired. And with ubiquitous cams, the officer can record it for the court to review.  Without a doubt it'll take some people off the road who aren't under the influence, but should simply not be driving! 

9 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Not so sure about that. I think there is at least a good probability that those with the required prescriptions are too sick to drive very much anyway.

Well...yah....the ones that are really sick maybe.

There are some of those out there I guess. 

An awful lot more have medical cards and go about their merry lives, driving everywhere, taking care of kids and chowing "medicinal doses" (= wicked high) of edibles every day.