bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

1,068 posts in this topic

57 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

its not the use of weed that will get you hurt on the job,its the use of weed by those that are brain dead to begin with.that will get you hurt.i have worked on the water and have been in the building trades all my life,and have smoked weed thruout this time and have all my fingers,and when i clammed their weren't many guys that could out dig me,in LI,staten island and Fla.,its not the weed its who is smoking the weed

Yah, can't speak to fishing boats but I think I can say with confidence, you'd be very, very, very hard pressed to find a crew in construction trades where weed is NOT used.

They just don't do it in front of the guys who fear it.

Unless they do unannounced randoms, pre-employment drug screenings are meaningless once hired.

I'm not defending, saying what is or isn't right, but in certain trades, even very dangerous ones, weed has always been ubiquitous. 

If I was traveling anywhere in the country and wanted to find weed, a framing crew would be a good choice to approach at random. 

DPW backhoe operators and plow drivers, landscappers driving dump trucks, chemical handlers and various manufacturing-machine operations are other examples where I personally observed an entrenched culture of weed use on the job.

Very often straight folks who fear weed work alongside stoners without realizing it. Many probably believe they would be in danger from a stoned coworker without guessing one is right next to them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Right before I went off to college in 1971, my dad sat me down and had the marijuana talk with me. As others said, the scare tactics he used were literally right out if Reefer Madness. He told me all I had to do was "sniff it once" and I was done, hooked for life.

Of course he had no idea what he was talking about, he was just looking to scare the wits out of me.

Edited by bob_G

I stopped at a garden center in Hyannis about 2 weeks ago and there was a sign for a marijuana growing seminar. Over the summer I smelled weed at least half a dozen times in the parking lot next to the Canal by the Sandwich Marina. One time I tracked it back to an old couple sitting in their car. 5 minutes later I saw them digging into some good sized cups of ice cream.

1 hour ago, MikeBlue said:

I stopped at a garden center in Hyannis about 2 weeks ago and there was a sign for a marijuana growing seminar. Over the summer I smelled weed at least half a dozen times in the parking lot next to the Canal by the Sandwich Marina. One time I tracked it back to an old couple sitting in their car. 5 minutes later I saw them digging into some good sized cups of ice cream.

Not all old folks are that smooth.

Fishing with my retired father in Florida when the group next to us fires up a blunt.

Dad: is that uh, *marijuana*???

Me: <checks notes> ummm... Yeah dad. They're smokin pot (¬_¬)

Well I'm no spring chicken myself. I smoked my first joint my freshman year in college, that would be Sept 1967, wow that's a long time ago, how did I get this old?

4 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

So where's all the car crashes and melee That was supposed to come with this weed being legalized

They are happening on the roads that lead to the pot stores, oh the humanity...………………..

3 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

So where's all the car crashes and melee That was supposed to come with this weed being legalized

Nobody can park at the shops!

Remote lots, shuttles, take the T....

Cracks me up. There's one opening near me. Tiny parking lot. Town way maxed out with traffic already, no extra parking. Can't even guess how they plan to handle it. 

The really funny part,it's right next door to my company. People walking over to the cigarette smoking area would be able to just walk a little further to score some legal MJ.

Be interesting to see how the company addresses it.

the public opinion of drugs has changed so much in my life that its crazy. when I was in HS, prescription drugs were a god send and pot was evil. times certainly have changed. lol. 

15 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

the public opinion of drugs has changed so much in my life that its crazy. when I was in HS, prescription drugs were a god send and pot was evil. times certainly have changed. lol. 

Hearing about several people I know of with chronic back pain, using cannabis products to lose the pain but still getting oxys from the doctors and selling them...……...

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

I still can't get over the fear of a cruiser.

I grew up in small towns at a time when busting potheads was the number one way, maybe the ONLY way for a patrolman to make detective or get a name in the paper. 

It was far safer to be any kind of real crook than it was to have long hair and a smelly jacket.

7 hours ago, Ditchbag said:

My bet is that over the next few years, as weed starts hitting a more mainstream market and is used in times and ways by people not accustomed to how it affects them, we are going to see new traffic phenomena.    I already think I have experienced some strangely cautious drivers in relatively copasetic driving situations...

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, pogie_boy said:

My bet is that over the next few years, as weed starts hitting a more mainstream market and is used in times and ways by people not accustomed to how it affects them, we are going to see new traffic phenomena.    I already think I have experienced some strangely cautious drivers in relatively copasetic driving situations...

No way, never. This will never happen. A newly legalized drug that is scientifically proven to affect reaction time could NEVER cause traffic accidents. :box: :laugh:

That’s the response that you’ll get from multiple pot heads.... except they’ll actually believe it. They’ll also say that we know nothing about the drug. And that the fear of weed is all a result of years of propaganda. They’ll even go as far as to say that they’re better drivers while using the drug. :laugh:

The fact that that will be ignored is that a newly legalized drug means tons of NEW users. Users that won’t be able to function, let alone drive effectively on the drug.

Edited by JTR