bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

1,126 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

This thread has really fascinated me.  Aside from occasionally smelling it on the canal, I haven't thought about cannabis in over 40 years. 

I've really had my eyes opened in the last couple months. Had no idea this once underground industry reached this level of sophistication.  

I saw the grow tables and lights you described. You can now buy seeds through the mail. Indoor grow closets with lights and irrigation. Hydroponic cannabis. They even sell home hashish presses. Make your own hash legally from the comfort of your home, and also get some cannabis oil in the process.  Who knew.

I feel the same way Bob, I have no intention of using cannabis but what is being done with it is an eye opener...……………………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Haha, good luck with that. Defense lawyers all over the state just went -

 

Cha Ching!!!!

 

Zero convictions.

 

98% experienced smokers will fool cops and walk while they arrest a bunch of stupid or tired people who "seem impaired".

 

Another way to clog the courts with guaranteed dismissed cases.

You’re probably right. OUI alcohol convictions are like 0% in MA without field sobriety and breathalyzer tests.

 

That said, fighting an OUI isn’t cheap, especially if you want to guarantee an acquittal. Should hopefully be a deterrent until better tests can be established.

Edited by JTR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTR said:

You’re probably right. OUI alcohol convictions are like 0% in MA without field sobriety and breathalyzer tests.

 

That said, fighting an OUI isn’t cheap, especially if you want to guarantee an acquittal. Should hopefully be a deterrent until better tests can be established.

The investigation will be based on the question;

"Have you used MJ tonight?"

 

Any convictions will be those who were so stoned they answered that question. 

Plead the 5th and have empty pockets, you're good to go. Thank you very much officer. Have a nice night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, mikez2 said:

The investigation will be based on the question;

"Have you used MJ tonight?"

 

Any convictions will be those who were so stoned they answered that question. 

Plead the 5th and have empty pockets, you're good to go. Thank you very much officer. Have a nice night.

You have to be under oath to plead the 5th.

 

Realistically, if someone is suspected of OUI drugs, they'll be asked to exit the car and perform some sort of "road side assessment" tests. If the cop thinks that they are impaired, they'll take a ride.

 

It wouldn't be much different than OUI alcohol. All a cop really needs to lock you up is bloodshot eyes and smell of an alcoholic beverage. Everything after that is just evidence to help substantiate the arrest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, JTR said:

You have to be under oath to plead the 5th.

 

Realistically, if someone is suspected of OUI drugs, they'll be asked to exit the car and perform some sort of "road side assessment" tests. If the cop thinks that they are impaired, they'll take a ride.

 

It wouldn't be much different than OUI alcohol. All a cop really needs to lock you up is bloodshot eyes and smell of an alcoholic beverage. Everything after that is just evidence to help substantiate the arrest.

Ok, exercise your right to remain silent. 

Or lie.

Sure as **** you don't admit it.

 

If your pockets and the inside of your car is clean, there will be no evidence if you don't admit it. 

 

You really have to try to get away from booze DUI comparison. 

 

Red eyes useless. More likely to wrongly harrass an innocent man with hay fever.

My eyes haven't gotten red from MJ since highschool. Few grown ups I know get red eyes.

 

Obviously bowl breath will get you a ride, but how hard is it to drink a coffee? Eat some Doritos, brush your teeth? It ain't like booze. You don't breath out fumes from your bloodstream. 

And of course edibles won't matter to breath.

 

What test proves you are impaired?

If you pass all the standard field sobriety tests, what's the point?

You're not impaired if you pass, right?

 

Where is the science that tells the government X amount of THC results in Y amount of impairment?

The opinion of some patrol cop?

 

Like I said, ChaChing for defense lawyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

 

The only clear outcome of that study:   "precocious sexual intercourse"

Well, yah, gives boys courage and puts girls in the mood, kinda like likker.

Difference being, neither pukes on the other and they can both remember afterwards. 

 

Seriously, the take aways are mainly that;

 

experienced users on reasonable doses of MJ alone are not signifcantly impaired and may be even safer.

 

Risks go up with dosage. Edibles and concentrate come into play here.

 

Adding any amount of alcohol to MJ, all bets are off regarding safe driving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, mikez2 said:

experienced users on reasonable doses of MJ alone are not signifcantly impaired and may be even safer.

 

Aha!  but the only data they have to back that up is:

1. At lighter doses, MJ users have an increased sense of impairment and are therefor more careful

2. "possible" tolerance to the effects .. which the study does not quote any 

 

My point though is that in the study for each statement like this:

 

Attentiveness, vigilance, perception of time and speed, and use of acquired knowledge are all affected by marijuana;1821 in fact, a meta-analysis of 60 studies concluded that marijuana causes impairment in every performance area that can reasonably be connected with safe driving of a vehicle, such as tracking, motor coordination, visual functions, and particularly complex tasks that require divided attention

 

And then later it states things like:  

 

Some reviewers have concluded that there is no evidence that cannabis alone increases the risk of culpability for crashes, and may actually reduce risk

 

So if you read the whole thingamajig, the only thing that is plainly clear is that MJ is good for having a real good time.

 

 

 

Edited by pogie_boy
add the careful bits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Aha!  but the only data they have to back that up is:

1. At lighter doses, MJ users have an increased sense of impairment and are therefor more careful

2. "possible" tolerance to the effects .. which the study does not quote any 

 

My point though is that in the study for each statement like this:

 

Attentiveness, vigilance, perception of time and speed, and use of acquired knowledge are all affected by marijuana;1821 in fact, a meta-analysis of 60 studies concluded that marijuana causes impairment in every performance area that can reasonably be connected with safe driving of a vehicle, such as tracking, motor coordination, visual functions, and particularly complex tasks that require divided attention

 

And then later it states things like:  

 

Some reviewers have concluded that there is no evidence that cannabis alone increases the risk of culpability for crashes, and may actually reduce risk

 

So if you read the whole thingamajig, the only thing that is plainly clear is that MJ is good for having a real good time.

 

 

 

In fairness it was a very thorough compilation of many studies in several countries by various groups. 

They point out the contradictions and inconsistencies to allow the reader to make up their own mind. 

A biased piece would cherry pick the results they like.

 

That's why we still have people who believe MJ causes road carnage but virtually zero stories in the press on MJ users being safe despite the data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

In fairness it was a very thorough compilation of many studies in several countries by various groups. 

They point out the contradictions and inconsistencies to allow the reader to make up their own mind. 

A biased piece would cherry pick the results they like.

 

That's why we still have people who believe MJ causes road carnage but virtually zero stories in the press on MJ users being safe despite the data.

Mike one point that provides some correlation to the multiple studies Mixing both increases the driving risks To a place where student after a game driving home here  Falmouth were killed when the car crashed, The cause of both deaths was determined if I recall correctly was it was mj related that both students had apparently enough in the tox reports that impaired there driving abilities. It did not to my knowledge state they had also been drinking, which to the reports above state very clear  the significance of such events makes the combination more of an event 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

54 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

…. The cause of both deaths was determined if I recall correctly was it was mj related that both students had apparently enough in the tox reports that impaired there driving abilities.... 

 

From the reports that I read, it makes no mention of "impairment".  Only that, "toxicology reports revealed the pair had THC in their system".

 

Rather, the authorities say the accident was attributed to reckless driving...…."travelling recklessly at a high rate of speed, illegally passed another vehicle, lost control, left roadway and struck a tree". 

 

Not sure the authorities would go so far as concluding the driver was impaired.

 

 

Edited by Joe G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.