bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

733 posts in this topic

Not sure if this was covered in 46 pages but if not here it goes: the driver's license scan going into the shops is not stored. It's an immediate e-scan to see if license is valid for a 21yr old and to check if customer isnt on some alleged "black list". Their words not mine. They said 99.99% arent on the bad list.

Then, got my fine and rare 'Bruce Banner' inside, so headed out on my way. 

20190107_135908.jpg.1251d06f46902954aa59d02780eb158e.jpg

So I hear all this talk of how more potent the weed is today, and then I hear people say how smoking weed doesn't affect ones motor skills.

I'm sorry, but I spent most of the early 80s high, and granted I was a teenager, but all I know is that I wouldn't trust myself to eat a tomato without incuring serious bodily injury when high back then.      I mean sure my pre-frontal lobe was barely formed and all.

Maybe the difference has to do with age, and perhaps why the last couple of times I tried pot all I did was get sleepy (and sleep like a baby mind you... I missed some great parties!  I also wound up in some pretty smelly garbage piles.)   Maybe I was looking for that total loop-de-loop I got when I was a teenybopper?  Does that not happen when your brain is fully formed?

19 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Maybe the difference has to do with age, and perhaps why the last couple of times I tried pot all I did was get sleepy (and sleep like a baby mind you... I missed some great parties!  I also wound up in some pretty smelly garbage piles.)   Maybe I was looking for that total loop-de-loop I got when I was a teenybopper?  Does that not happen when your brain is fully formed?

I guarantee if you smoked a joint of the best quality available today you would get that loop-de-loop again. 

And I'm with you, I smoke..but don't smoke and drive. No chance.

27 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I'm sorry, but I spent most of the early 80s high, and granted I was a teenager, but all I know is that I wouldn't trust myself to eat a tomato without incuring serious bodily injury when high back then.

4 mins ago, rst3 said:

I guarantee if you smoked a joint of the best quality available today you would get that loop-de-loop again. 

And I'm with you, I smoke..but don't smoke and drive. No chance.

You guys just need more experience. If you smoke a ton more weed, you'll be better drivers when high. :rav::worms:

2 hours ago, JTR said:

You guys just need more experience. If you smoke a ton more weed, you'll be better drivers when high. :rav::worms:

I don't know why that is hard to accept.

First of all, decades old anecdotes from stoned teenagers are meaningless to this discussion. 

The kind of silly stoned described above is the sign of a total novice. Any kind of regular use destroys that low tolerance permanently. Long time users try and try but can never lose that tolerance without long periods of abstinence. 

You don't need to smoke a "ton" of weed to get past teenage bafflement. 

Also, since the effects are more mental than physical, it is more possible to counter them with awareness and concentration until they don't impair much less significantly. 

Yes, with time and practice, MJ users can past tests of memory, reaction time, judgement, reasoning, anything you can throw at them.

They can run fortune 500 companies wasted, catch touchdowns in the NFL wasted, pass high level, highly technical state license tests wasted, do endless number of difficult and complex manufacturing jobs - safely - wasted.

Look, what's the debate? Driving high is illegal and dangerous, I have not denied that.

Rather than defending it, I've tried to give perspective for those getting their info from headlines and have inflated fears.

We all agree driving high is wrong (even some who do it), but still no one has successfully used that as a compelling reason to block MJ shops.

14 mins ago, mikez2 said:

We all agree driving high is wrong (even some who do it), but still no one has successfully used that as a compelling reason to block MJ shops.

Nor should they. 

Liquor addicts get nips-- about as antithetical a product to safe driving as anything-- yet every liquor store carries them, legally.

BTW, I totally discount conventional wisdom regarding the supposed huge increase in potency of MJ over time.

In 1978, in the boys room of the highschool, I had every day access to gold MJ from Columbia, brown MJ from Jamaica,  green MJ from California, Thai stick from SE Asia, black hash from Africa. Any of those would match dispensary weed of today. 

The real difference is source.

Even though back then high potency weed was available, the every day commercial weed so easily smuggled back then was of considerable less quality, freshness and potency. No doubt the %THC would be low in samples of that type.

At least as my own exposure would indicate, that kind of "Dirt" weed disappeared from this area in the 80s during Reagan's War on Drugs. At that time, weed was too difficult to smuggle so efforts switched to cocaine.

The result was crack was on every corner but no weed.

The other result was Americans figured out how to grow large scale and at least locally, the majority of MJ consumed never crossed a national border.

The high potency seedless products in the shops with gay names and crazy prices are the same thing, grown by the same people, that has been around since Mexican went away in 1984 or whatever. 

8 mins ago, rst3 said:

Nor should they. 

Liquor addicts get nips-- about as antithetical a product to safe driving as anything-- yet every liquor store carries them, legally.

Oh the nips!

Nips are designed to facilitate drinking and driving. 

Nip bottles by my estimation are the most common type of road side trash. Every liquor store in every neighborhood in the country that sells nips is facilitating drunk driving. 

I have a really nice, rich folks liquor store across the street from me. I sit on my porch and watch the same people every day go in there. I see horror shows of depravity. 

I walk for exercise on the surrounding streets. The streets closest to the shop are littered by all the nip bottles from drivers just driving away.

One trout stream I fish goes by a cemetery. Above the stream is a bank where town workers, in big town trucks, throw brush and grass clippings from a hidden pullover in the cemetery. It's also where the town guys drink their lunch. Apparently they been doing it for years because there are thousands of nips thrown over the bank, all the same cheap brand.

The world would be a better place if nobody drove high. 

However in a world where drunk driving is socially acceptable, it makes no sense to be crying mad highway death stories over MJ.

23 mins ago, mikez2 said:

BTW, I totally discount conventional wisdom regarding the supposed huge increase in potency of MJ over time.

In 1978, in the boys room of the highschool, I had every day access to gold MJ from Columbia, brown MJ from Jamaica,  green MJ from California, Thai stick from SE Asia, black hash from Africa. Any of those would match dispensary weed of today. 

The real difference is source.

Even though back then high potency weed was available, the every day commercial weed so easily smuggled back then was of considerable less quality, freshness and potency. No doubt the %THC would be low in samples of that type.

At least as my own exposure would indicate, that kind of "Dirt" weed disappeared from this area in the 80s during Reagan's War on Drugs. At that time, weed was too difficult to smuggle so efforts switched to cocaine.

The result was crack was on every corner but no weed.

The other result was Americans figured out how to grow large scale and at least locally, the majority of MJ consumed never crossed a national border.

The high potency seedless products in the shops with gay names and crazy prices are the same thing, grown by the same people, that has been around since Mexican went away in 1984 or whatever. 

Interesting read. 

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Oh the nips!

Nips are designed to facilitate drinking and driving. 

Nip bottles by my estimation are the most common type of road side trash. Every liquor store in every neighborhood in the country that sells nips is facilitating drunk driving. 

I have a really nice, rich folks liquor store across the street from me. I sit on my porch and watch the same people every day go in there. I see horror shows of depravity. 

I walk for exercise on the surrounding streets. The streets closest to the shop are littered by all the nip bottles from drivers just driving away.

One trout stream I fish goes by a cemetery. Above the stream is a bank where town workers, in big town trucks, throw brush and grass clippings from a hidden pullover in the cemetery. It's also where the town guys drink their lunch. Apparently they been doing it for years because there are thousands of nips thrown over the bank, all the same cheap brand.

You know the old saying. The smaller the bottle, the bigger the problem.

I'll say this for dispensary weed: it's the same thing as standing in line for Treehouse. (Except there are basically no lines now) Same exact deal. Boutique weed&hash and boutique beer. Sure you can get beer on the corner, but some choose not to. 

As for whether dispensary weed is better than the best of the 80s: it's comparable to the very best most average smokers ever smoked in the 1980s. 

Then there's dispensary hash. Which cleans the clock on hash from the 80s and 90s. I'm sorry but distillate at 98%TAC is pfking strong. Period. Even for experienced smokers. That's the point.

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

I'll say this for dispensary weed: it's the same thing as standing in line for Treehouse. (Except there are basically no lines now) Same exact deal. Boutique weed&hash and boutique beer. Sure you can get beer on the corner, but some choose not to. 

As for whether dispensary weed is better than the best of the 80s: it's comparable to the very best most average smokers ever smoked in the 1980s. 

Then there's dispensary hash. Which cleans the clock on hash from the 80s and 90s. I'm sorry but distillate at 98%TAC is pfking strong. Period. Even for experienced smokers. That's the point.

Yah we never had wax or shatter etc. Some of us knew how to make it but it was a Geek thing, not for regular folks. 

Plus no one wants to burn their house down trying to DIY.

It was not available. 

But that isn't what I was arguing in my potency argument. 

Conventional wisdom always claims bud of today is so much stronger than bud back then.

All I'm saying is, Americans mastered the art of commercial scale grow of high potency bud 30 years ago.

Once that product became available, the low potency dirt mex weed was replaced.

The "Much Stronger Weed" argument is usually linked to stoned driving/pot shop arguments.

The implication being there was no road carnage before potshops because the MJ was weak. Pot shops supposedly sell more potent bud so therefore road carnage will "skyrocket".

Not true.

well if anyone thinks that weed really affects your motor skills,i invite you to come ski with me,i will prove you wrong real quickly.i think the big differance is that high quality weed is now more available to the average smoker,and the number of strains is off the charts

3 hours ago, rst3 said:

I'm sorry but distillate at 98%TAC is pfking strong. Period. Even for experienced smokers. That's the point.

This is a topic I have no direct experience with. 

My understanding of the plant and it's many constituents are more complicated than thcA.

I will have to do some bioassays to research the effects.